PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic, 1m below draft depth...

NukEng
04-05-2005, 05:47 AM
Hey all.

I have set up the sim, learning to somewhat quickly draft out the AoB info on the nav map screen. So, I set up the torp for Magnetic, and set the range to end dead on the course line I have drawn out, however, the torp will just scream past the target just under (exactly as I hope, minus the detonation).

So, I have a couple of questions...

I have heard that you can set Magnetic & Impact? How?

If I go out on a mission & take the day to stalk a target, get into a position & attempt to sink it, only to have a torp go under the bow, with no reserves left, should I just ram it (accidentaly did this & sank a trawler lol with minimal damage to me)?

Also, I use the map mods with the crosshair for the tools & the compass (some call it a protractor). However, I saw this mod:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=857101043&m=9201005303

(note the true procractor, though I am not sure if it is edited in, or there already). If this is not an edit to demonstrate AoB, how might I procure that mod? I cannot get it to go in my install.

Thanks for the help...

NukEng
04-05-2005, 05:47 AM
Hey all.

I have set up the sim, learning to somewhat quickly draft out the AoB info on the nav map screen. So, I set up the torp for Magnetic, and set the range to end dead on the course line I have drawn out, however, the torp will just scream past the target just under (exactly as I hope, minus the detonation).

So, I have a couple of questions...

I have heard that you can set Magnetic & Impact? How?

If I go out on a mission & take the day to stalk a target, get into a position & attempt to sink it, only to have a torp go under the bow, with no reserves left, should I just ram it (accidentaly did this & sank a trawler lol with minimal damage to me)?

Also, I use the map mods with the crosshair for the tools & the compass (some call it a protractor). However, I saw this mod:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=857101043&m=9201005303

(note the true procractor, though I am not sure if it is edited in, or there already). If this is not an edit to demonstrate AoB, how might I procure that mod? I cannot get it to go in my install.

Thanks for the help...

chrisoloughlin1
04-05-2005, 07:22 AM
Here's a stab at the answers :

1. Setting the torps to magnetic is actually "magnetic + impact", (p41 of the manual), so they will detonate either way. I'm struggling with the magnetic detonations (often don't explode) so I'll probably try just impact for a while. I wonder if the ships keel changes with how laden they are ? and I guess stormy weather can change the keel depth ?

2. I've heard other reports of good results with ramming but I'm not sure it's a realistic option - too much to lose !

Be seeing you

Lost_Lamb
04-05-2005, 07:31 AM
The '360 Degree Bearing Plotter for Navigation Map' is located here along with a lot of other mods;

http://www.subsim.com/subsim_files/patches.html

The Movable Protractor / Map Tools has been updated to v1.1;

http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=264649

Keep an eye on the essentials thread stickied at the top of this page.

Magnetic torpedo missed - either a dud or most probably too deep below the target's draft as stated in the recognition manual. Should only run under by about 1 metre.

Torpedo Settings - manual page 20.

Last one is an ethics questions for yourself. Although they did call destroyers tin cans and the first US destroyer to sink a U-Boat refrained from ramming because of the risk of sinking, the damage you sustain seems under-represented.

quillan
04-05-2005, 07:50 AM
First, you have to look in the recognition manual for the ship type, and find the ships draft. Then set the torpedo to run about 1 meter deeper than the draft of the ship. More than 2 meters below the keel of the ship and the torp won't detonate. Also, rough seas will interfere, because the target ship will ride up and down on the waves. I've had that happen to me in very rough seas.

velkie
04-05-2005, 11:25 AM
Just as quillan state, look up the draft of the boat to set your torp depth.
So lets say a C3 is 9.8m, I usually set my torp depth between 10.5 and 11m depending on the ocean conditions.