PDA

View Full Version : The Way We Were - GR1 Alumni - What would we would like to see in the new game.

MWH.WinG
03-07-2010, 05:02 PM
I would like to hear from all the old timers like me to hear what they miss about the game that launched the series. I played GR1 during it's most active time. I'm still trying to find a game that brings back the same experiences that GR1 offered.

In a time where online FPS (more on that later) seem to be pushing for larger numbers of players in a match, I would like to see the return of small numbers and more tactical game play.
Also I would like the return of first person only, the over-the-shoulder kiddie mode has got to go. Third person view was the whole reason I quit buying anything from this genre after GRAW.
If you want to see your gun, duct tape one under your monitor. Ask any soldier what they want to be aware of in battle and they will tell you 'the enemy' not the top of their gun or how cool their uniform looks.

ST2_Pootin
03-09-2010, 09:12 AM
well first of all i would like to thank you for calling me an old timer... lol.
The original GR is like your high school championship team that went to the state championship. You can play touch football with your friends after that but are forever trying to relive the glory days...
Usually we buy FPS's, play in hardcore mode and keep the games smaller. BF BC 2 squad deathwatch is allot like GR, Arma 2 had potential but is a little too complicated. OF DR was the closest thing i have seen but is so buggy that it is unplayable. Also the lack of multiplayer server control makes it worthless.
Hopefully the game will be based on how you use it and not how big your gun is....

BSR_RuGGBuTT
03-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by ST2_Pootin:
OF DR was the closest thing i have seen but is so buggy that it is unplayable. Also the lack of multiplayer server control makes it worthless.
QFT!

CyStryker
03-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Pootin: I agree with you completely:&lthttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
OFhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gifR had great potential! lack of dedicated servers killed it along with bugs. We have vets in XE and all have stated it was the closest any game has come to the feel of combat in Afgan or Irag they ever played. ARMAII is just to much...

We are playing BC2 in Hard core. And, when we agree not to use the armor the game is like GR1! But better. having the ability to control various aspects of the game at the admin level would make the game even better. we play in HARD CORE only:&lthttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif If GR:FS can give us that experience... hard core only, wpns availability, accuracy, effectiveness realistic and load out realistic with lean and prone ability , Punkbuster anti cheat backed .... we would have a "mother of All Games" :&lthttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Rol

buzzcocks
03-25-2010, 12:35 PM
I miss shooters where you didn't have to play for hours to get the same game as everyone else. Hopefully the new GR won't have a ranked/unlock system.

Playing BF BC2 as well and while I'm enjoying it (to a certain extent) the lack of a peek/lean feature and no prone or crouch toggle are frustrating.

One thing I really miss is the gimp, hope it's brought back.

GuZZ33
03-25-2010, 03:53 PM
Arma 2 had potential, OF DR was the closest thing.
Personaly i think the arma series is the closest to original ghost recon and OF DR is more like GRAW. I would love to see an exact remake of the first ghost recon game obviously with an update on the graphics engine with the latest game engine tech and dx render path, you know with the same maps/levels, everything and solid mp modes and 9 man co-op. And then i'd like to see the rise of the original Rainbow Six with the same level of graphics update as todays games give us in the eye candy dept, just stick to the original formula, will it happen again ?.

Saker_01
03-26-2010, 05:20 PM
well first of all i would like to thank you for calling me an old timer... lol.
The original GR is like your high school championship team that went to the state championship. You can play touch football with your friends after that but are forever trying to relive the glory days...………..
Hopefully the game will be based on how you use it and not how big your gun is....

Well said Pootin, I totally agree!
To bring back the days of the FNG and the ST2 GR gaming days would be awesome!!!

Originally posted by buzzcocks:
I miss shooters where you didn't habe to play for hours to get the same game as evryone else. Hopefully the new GR won't have a ranked/unlock system.

Playing BF BC2 as well and while I'm enjoying it (to a certain extent) the lack of a peek/lean feature and no prone or crouch toggle are frustrating.

One thing I really miss is the gimp, hope it's brought back.

Buzz, I agree also on all points you brought up, couldn’t have expressed it better…..Kudos http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Same style of gameplay ( OGR not GR:AW ) with better graphics and updated maps, replays for dedicated servers to help catch the cheaters that slip thru the AC (because you know as soon as the game comes out there will be cheats made).... not the run and gun like most games have gone to or ported console games....

ST2_Pootin
03-26-2010, 06:49 PM
Hey saker. I wont be buying this game I've decided based on this forum. Sorry man.

Scar1509
03-28-2010, 11:21 AM
First of all I would to see a better graphic engine, as good like in MW2 or BF BC2!

Also I want to see more tactical gameplay in GR FS with Coop player Mode where max 6 to 8 Players can play together a campaign!

For Multiplayer huge maps like in ArmA2

And Last but not least.... Dedicated servers

P0rnindapants
04-13-2010, 05:50 AM
Hey Wing how ya been brother long time..
If this game does well at all it will be nice to hang out again.

What i would like to see in this game is very simple.
Be fun.
patch when needed (stopped buying ubi products because of lack of support)
no vehicles please
server admin control of weapons load out and game modes to allow for a wide range of playing.

I miss the capture the flag of OGR.
Ill drop you a line wing get that blue smoke back in there buddy!

MWH.WinG
05-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by P0rnindapants:

Be fun.
no vehicles please
server admin control of weapons load out and game modes to allow for a wide range of playing.

Heya Pants, been great http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I was actually wondering where you guys all went. Figured they didn't have highspeed internet in the old folks home you moved to http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Was doing a little thinking lately about what made GR1 so much fun vs anything I have played since... and this is what the hamsters churned out.

It wasn't the graphics, gameplay or blowin' sh_t up... it was the game lobby. The trash talking between games and being able to see if your friends were around, the ability to host a room and play with the settings and mods that you and your friends liked. Remember the PBC room?

I remembered all that while listening to a couple of what seemed like 4 yr old kids between games on CoD MW and wishing I could hit the 'kick' button. The fact that I couldn't see any of the servers and who was in them makes it seem just impersonal. Not to mention the fact you could see your ping to the servers and pick what seemed to be the best.
Am I wrong? (nevah)

WN_tjgunner
05-11-2010, 06:57 PM
I totally agree, the ability to control the room customize quickly between rounds made it very clan friendly. The fact that games could be hosted on a decent pc made it possible to play without the added expense of dedi servers. Would love to see it in the new game, though I won't hold my breath.
Originally posted by MWH.WinG:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by P0rnindapants:

Be fun.
no vehicles please

Heya Pants, been great http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I was actually wondering where you guys all went. Figured they didn't have highspeed internet in the old folks home you moved to http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Was doing a little thinking lately about what made GR1 so much fun vs anything I have played since... and this is what the hamsters churned out.

It wasn't the graphics, gameplay or blowin' sh_t up... it was the game lobby. The trash talking between games and being able to see if your friends were around, the ability to host a room and play with the settings and mods that you and your friends liked. Remember the PBC room?

I remembered all that while listening to a couple of what seemed like 4 yr old kids between games on CoD MW and wishing I could hit the 'kick' button. The fact that I couldn't see any of the servers and who was in them makes it seem just impersonal. Not to mention the fact you could see your ping to the servers and pick what seemed to be the best.
Am I wrong? (nevah) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pigeons
06-27-2010, 03:04 AM
I agree with you guys on most points. Loved the old games. Played the hell out of them.

BUT, the one thing I disagree with is the opinion that the 3rd person viewpoint is all kinds of bad. I like it, and it's not because I can see how cool my soldier looks. It's because I can see where my soldier is.

This allows me to take cover in a better position without accidentally exposing an inch of my helmet or my pinky toe. It allows me to see how well hidden I am in a bush or tall grass. This may sound cheap, and it is, but it allows me to peak around corners with the camera w/o exposing myself - but there's a fix to that. The fix would be making the camera closer to the player when near a wall.

The point is body awareness. It's about being able to see how other players can see you and adjusting to that.

So yeah the first person viewpoint is classic and all but it doesn't mean the game can't be tactical with a different view. The best way I could see to get the best of both worlds is to make a camera snapping feature. I'd stay in first person most of the time, but push a button and snap out to 3rd person to check on my position, then snap back into first person.

FastEddieWoe
07-13-2010, 09:47 PM
What i would like to see from this title is
<LI> 1st person as i cant detach my eyes in RL to look over my shoulder.
<LI> The Lean/Peak option like the original GR. looking around a corner without a cam of some sort requires you to move your head into the necessary position. If that means you get shot BL.
<LI> Intuitive AI.
<LI> Whole campaign playable in Coop.
<LI> Bullet Drop / Environment effect on bullets and such.
<LI> Mission Editor
<LI> In game chat
<LI> Ability to pick-up weapons from dead solders ect

I have just finised watching the Developer Interview and must say that i am somewhat disappointed as a PC gamer. I have played both the Rainbow 6 and GR titles since there first release but this ne GR title does not seem to follow the same path.

As an "Old Timer" the GR games were always more of a 1st person "SIM", No aids or Silly camera views and No health bars or medics.
What seem to have happened is someone has come up with the grand plan of making this game like a lot of others, this game as it seems to be what "Future Solder" is a GAME, would have been better as a Vegas title. It is a shame that a brilliant style of play and a brilliant title is now lost.

Originally posted by Pigeons:
I agree with you guys on most points. Loved the old games. Played the hell out of them.

BUT, the one thing I disagree with is the opinion that the 3rd person viewpoint is all kinds of bad. I like it, and it's not because I can see how cool my soldier looks. It's because I can see where my soldier is.

This allows me to take cover in a better position without accidentally exposing an inch of my helmet or my pinky toe. It allows me to see how well hidden I am in a bush or tall grass. This may sound cheap, and it is, but it allows me to peak around corners with the camera w/o exposing myself - but there's a fix to that. The fix would be making the camera closer to the player when near a wall.

The point is body awareness. It's about being able to see how other players can see you and adjusting to that.

So yeah the first person viewpoint is classic and all but it doesn't mean the game can't be tactical with a different view. The best way I could see to get the best of both worlds is to make a camera snapping feature. I'd stay in first person most of the time, but push a button and snap out to 3rd person to check on my position, then snap back into first person.

Your reasoning makes sense but not with the GR title, That style of play has been catered for with Splinter cell and Vegas.

spm1138
07-17-2010, 05:57 AM
As a long time Clancy game fan I am not sure what this new title has to do with the original ghost recon games.

It's like a totally different style of game.

OGR was really all about re-contextualising the tension you got with the R6 games (for better or for worse - I never quite liked that take on CQB as it seemed to me to be lacking speed and aggression) into an out of doors setting and shifting away from the specific planning to a more open ended style of play for out doors maps.

The maps were typically fairly open ended and really rewarded a cautious style of play.

So far what I've seen is:
What looks like a fairly scripted directed experience like CoD.
Removal of player control over squad.
Removal of tension by abundant intel.
Removal of tension by making the player invisible. "Did he see me? No he did not because I am completely invisible."

I dig the stealthy approach stuff, it looks fun. I even dig the futuristic stuff (Neotokyo is hella sexy and you're basically making a single player game of it) but was something supposed to happen when that guy looks at you with IR goggles?

Is there anything you can't just waltz around invisible? :P

This looks like a stealthy tac shooter for imbeciles so far. Ubi are making Dragon Rising look good which is quite the achievement.