PDA

View Full Version : newb flight question

DarkCanuck420
12-10-2004, 01:29 PM
Hi, i told you i would be back for more help. I checked the readme and manual etc. i was wondering when you are in external view you get the crosshair and a small circle that moves around. whats that little circle. is it like a guage that tells you how hard you can turn before you start to stall, for eg.?
thanks for the help!

==============================================
You Don't Get A Scar Like This From Eating Pineapple.

BuzzU
12-10-2004, 01:35 PM
It's a guide for landing on carriers.

DarkCanuck420
12-10-2004, 01:55 PM
is there any other purpose?

i dont know, could it be related to the shift in the crosshair in the cockpit when turning.

Tully__
12-10-2004, 07:28 PM
It shows where your plane will end up (which is usually a bit different to where you're pointed) if you maintain current speed & heading. It's great for carrier landings and slightly distracting most any other time.

For landings, adjusted your speed to landings speed and descent rate so that little pipper sits right at the start of the carrier deck and hold it there. Pull the nose up gently and throttle off at the very last moment, perfect landings every time.

DarkCanuck420
12-10-2004, 07:54 PM
wow great man, thanks. now where was i supposed to find that information? in game training? manual? readme? or resort to community forums?
glad to have helpful people in forums, thanks.

cheers

================================================
You Dont Get A Scar Like This From Eating Pineapple

BuzzU
12-10-2004, 08:05 PM
From the readme.

How to land on an aircraft carrier

First and foremost, come in from the stern (i.e. from behind).
In order to make it easier to learn, we€ve included a non-historical helper feature that may be useful for people who otherwise find it difficult to land on the carrier.
If you turn off the 3D cockpit (Shift-F1 by default, with €œNo Cockpit€ set to On in the Difficulty section), you will see an extra reticle floating around the virtual cockpit. When landing, try to keep decreasing your airspeed, and keep the reticle on the centerline of the carrier deck, at about 1/5th of the total length away from the stern. In other words, this reticle shows you the direction of your speed vector, and the landing angle should be about twice as shallow as when landing on a land strip.
Also, remember that a three-point landing is a requirement, not an option when it comes to aircraft carriers. First of all, it€s virtually unavoidable when you land at an appropriately low airspeed. Secondly, most arrestor hooks are simply not long enough to snag a wire if you land with your tailwheel high above the deck. Finally, a two-point landing is likely to cause a rather strong bounce, that can be especially disastrous if you did snag a wire. As your landing airspeed increases, so do the chances of catastrophic failure.
We very highly recommend practicing this a lot before going into combat, especially online. There you will encounter carriers moving at greatly varying speeds in greatly varying weather conditions. Start with a fast-moving carrier in clear weather first, as this allows you higher approach speeds and a stationary carrier deck.