PDA

View Full Version : Use the force Herr Skywalker ?

mbabbs
04-27-2005, 04:29 AM
Last night I thought I'd try a new tactic which worked pretty well. I just wondered if anyone is doing the same ?

I managed to get myself on the edge of a convoy on a clear night with ages of darkness remaining so I attacked on the surface.

However playing on 92% realism means that when you are approaching at speed it can be pretty difficult to attack more than one ship at a time as you have to gather data for your solution and identify flags etc.

My solution was not to bother. I took a leaf out of Iron coffins and Star Wars and cleared all data from the 'targeting computer' so that my torps would fire straight ahead. I then steered directly at a C3 for a 90 degree angle shot and fired two torpedoes at 500 meters. At that range you just cannot miss ! I then swung round and fired two more at a T3, again at close range. All the torpedoes hit before they could take evasive action and I managed to dive and evade before any destroyers got close.

Admittedly this is 1940 so the Merchants don't have guns yet, but driving your boat at flank speed between the monster Merchants and firing without gathering data was a lot of fun ... and very effective.

You should try it once at least.

mbabbs
04-27-2005, 04:29 AM
Last night I thought I'd try a new tactic which worked pretty well. I just wondered if anyone is doing the same ?

I managed to get myself on the edge of a convoy on a clear night with ages of darkness remaining so I attacked on the surface.

However playing on 92% realism means that when you are approaching at speed it can be pretty difficult to attack more than one ship at a time as you have to gather data for your solution and identify flags etc.

My solution was not to bother. I took a leaf out of Iron coffins and Star Wars and cleared all data from the 'targeting computer' so that my torps would fire straight ahead. I then steered directly at a C3 for a 90 degree angle shot and fired two torpedoes at 500 meters. At that range you just cannot miss ! I then swung round and fired two more at a T3, again at close range. All the torpedoes hit before they could take evasive action and I managed to dive and evade before any destroyers got close.

Admittedly this is 1940 so the Merchants don't have guns yet, but driving your boat at flank speed between the monster Merchants and firing without gathering data was a lot of fun ... and very effective.

You should try it once at least.

jmikkelsen
04-27-2005, 04:37 AM
continue like that in the later years in the war i have one thing to say to you: May the force be with you. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

mbabbs
04-27-2005, 04:42 AM
Yeah, I had a bad feeling about that

IcarusXP
04-27-2005, 05:27 AM
That has happened to me once by acident. I was following a small convoy submerged and tracking them by hydrophone. When I came up to periscope depth I realized there were several other ships behind me, in my baffles.

Submerged, I fired all forward and aft torpedoes sinking 4 ships, and dammaging a destroyer.
as I dived to evade I had to manuver around the sinking ships like dodging iceberges.

very cool, this game has many suprises.

StellarRat
04-27-2005, 11:53 AM
FYI: You can still do the same type of thing by not entering any targetting data into the TDC. Then it will just set the gyro to the direction your scope is aiming. If you're good at guessing the right amount of "lead" it works fine. This is a lot safer for point and shoot attacks because you don't have to run on the surface. Make sure to flood the tubes first though.