PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Memory!

Patrcia
03-26-2011, 07:34 AM
Im new here and may have posted in the wrong section (I apologize in advance if so), but I have a memory problem with my computer. Ive just realized that my hardrive is actually split into 2. The technician told me the 1st half is to allow anything there to be permanently saved in case of a crash. Now, my problem is that, the 1st memory block is full, and I don't know how to start moving over things to the second block.

If anyone is willing to help me, I will not waste your time. You can easily do it with TeamViewer, all I have to give you is a password.

Thanks in advance for at least reading this.

Halfen
03-26-2011, 09:10 AM
Welcome Patrcia, There is probably a newer and better way to do this.
1. Go to the START button, open COMPUTER ,then open the first drive.
2. Repeat process for the second drive.
3. Now drag and drop the files from one drive to the other.

Patrcia
03-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Thank you for a speedy response. I am although worried that after I do this, should I delete the memory on the first drive, or no? Im not very tech-savy as you can already see http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Halfen
03-26-2011, 10:22 AM
"Drag and Drop" will automatically remove it from one drive and place it to the other.
PLEASE do not "drag & drop" anything but pictures and music files ! Be very careful.

Patrcia
03-26-2011, 11:03 AM
Ive dragged and dropped everything. But, all it has done is just made a copy of it onto the other drive. Can I just delete what was previously on the first drive, or will that result in files being deleted/corrupted.

Extreme_One
03-26-2011, 11:16 AM
It really depends what sort of files you are moving.

If you are moving system files then you will be trouble if you delete them from their original location.

If you are removing photos, music, videos, documents etc. then you can move these wherever you like and delete the originals with no trouble.

Patrcia
03-26-2011, 11:29 AM
By system files, what do you mean exactly? I've moved files like, for example: Company of Heroes.

Here's a few screen shots to better explain:

http://img851.imageshack.us/f/memory1.jpg

http://img148.imageshack.us/f/memory2x.jpg

Also, if this will simplify anything, I have Teamviewer to facilitate anything.

K_Freddie
03-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Patrcia..
You drive has been split into a System (Boot) drive and a Logical drive.

If you lose the boot drive you have a good chance of losing the logical drive as well, because all the disk parameters (information) will be kept on the boot drive.

A thing to keep an eye out for is the Virtual Memory space. This is an area of the disk that is used for 'swopping space'.. as your disk gets full this space gets corrupted and.....BANG!!
This usually happens when you end up with about 10Gigs (and less) leftover disk space.

I have 2 or 3 physical disks and use one for system and the other(s) as an archive (the stuff I want to keep).

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Patrcia
03-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Okay, thank you for the help thus far. But, this isn't helping me directly, all I need help with is to transfer files from one Hard Drive to the other without losing data. Then deleting whatever was on the previous hard drive to create space.

Treetop64
03-26-2011, 07:04 PM
There's a very simple way to do that, Patrcia.

Go to the drive that you want to move files FROM, and highlight ONLY the files you know are safe to move. To do this, highlight each file in turn by holding down the <Ctrl> key and left-clicking (one click only) each file you want moved individually. Others in this thread have already eluded to this, but if there are ANY files that you are unfamiliar with, or don't feel comfortable moving, DO NOT touch them.

Once you are done choosing all the files you want to transfer, right-click (again, once only) on any one of the highlighted files. A menu should pop up. Select "Cut".

Now, go to the drive you want to move files TO, select or create (and name) a file to move your previously highlighted files to, and right-click on that file. Another menu should pop up. Select "Paste".

The files you highlighted on the first drive will be moved over - not copied - to your selected file on the second drive.

There is an alternative way of doing this by dragging the highlighted files to the second drive, but IMO the method described above is the simplest method and least likely to allow for user errors.

If you are still uncomfortable with this, then it is recommended you call someone over you know who is good with computers to help you with this directly, so that he or she can actually see what is happening and what is being done.

voyager_663rd
03-27-2011, 07:26 AM
Man, this is like trying to teach someone how to do brain surgery by email.

She's gonna be copying and pasting and deleting stuff she has no idea what she's doing.

It'll still run a-ok till she re-boots and bam. No boot.

<span class="ev_code_RED">STOP</span> what you're doing and get someone who knows about this to help before you lobotomize your machine http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif .

Patrcia
03-27-2011, 07:52 AM
This is the exact reason why I have TeamViwewer, if it gets too complicated for me, someone can actually do it from their own machine very easily.

LEBillfish
03-27-2011, 09:08 AM
Let me see if I understand this correctly......

1. You are a new person here no one knows....
2. There is no one where you live that knows anything about PCs.
3. You know nothing about PCs.
4. Yet you have clearly installed software on your own, and can access your own files, move them and so on, can even make screen shots and post them.......Yet the only solution to your problem still is for someone, anyone, an unkown person to suddenly get full access to your PC over the net.

5. and consequently....you to theirs.

You may be very sincere and honest really needing help....Yet you might see where there would be reasons for concern.....at the very least this seems like spams trying to sell the software.

K2

Patrcia
03-27-2011, 09:54 AM
This is not spam. The only reason why I've been posting on this forum is because on my previous account, I have had positive feedback and help. If you honestly think im a troll, think twice. This isn't some easy problem to fix, it if were, I wouldn't be bothering the forum at all. Im worried that files will be permanently deleted or corrupted if I proceed in a sloppy manner. Im no "know it all" when it come to computers. Most of the people on this forum are very good at using computers and are patient, kind enough and willing to help a stranger in need. That is the only reason I am here. Also, I would go ask someone else for help, but at the moment they are unavailable.

bigchump
03-27-2011, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by voyager_663rd:
Man, this is like trying to teach someone how to do brain surgery by email.

She's gonna be copying and pasting and deleting stuff she has no idea what she's doing.

It'll still run a-ok till she re-boots and bam. No boot.

<span class="ev_code_RED">STOP</span> what you're doing and get someone who knows about this to help before you lobotomize your machine http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif .

Like Voyager says +1.
Your desktop icons will have to be manually edited if any of those programs they relate to are moved.

LEBillfish
03-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Okay Patricia;

Well for FUTURE reference remember the following....Organize....To do this when you build a pc keep your OS/operating system on drive C:, and place everything else on other partitions or hard drives even new programs. Also get into the habit of making new directories/folders and placing programs and files into them appropriately.

In any case, you're going to have a lot of work to do if you have just let things automatically load and save where they want. So to reduce the problem (yet not totally fix it)....

As said above move "known" picture and music files to new folders on the second partition/virtual drive......DO NOT simply do a search for all pictures and music as many may be a part of a program, just those you have added. As you do, delete the old, don't go back after and try to find them all again.

Next, programs like CoH you can try copying/moving the entire folder. Do this one program at a time, not in batches. Then NOT using remove programs yet simply delete, delete that folder on C:. Once you have go to the launch icon on your desktop or where ever, and try to launch the program. It will most likely tell you that it can't find it and will begin searching for it and ask or would you like to find it yourself. If it finds it great, if not then right click on the icon, select properties, and see what file it pointed to originally......As an example:

When I click on my IL2 icon and check properties (if I had left it alone) it might of said: C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Il2\il2fb.exe. Yet having moved that program it might now be at D:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Il2\il2fb.exe, or perhaps D:\Il2\il2fb.exe.....What matters though is the last part "il2fb.exe" and where that is, so figure out where that is, and change the icon properties to match it (D:\Il2\il2fb.exe).

Instantly try to start the game after....It should start, if it does not then you may have to move/copy it all back to where it was.

DO NOT MOVE any files or folders listed as Microsoft, or Windows, or anything contained in them.....However, many folders in C:\Program Files you can.

Games will take up a lot of room, so try moving them one at a time like described above, immediately test them to launch, also music and photos.......and in short order you should have your drive space back.

Lastly, when you're sure all is working.....reboot and check them again. Then empty your recycle bin, and finally clear out all your cookies and temp browser stuff (as some folks never do, and it can take up massive amounts of room.

Good luck,

K2