PDA

View Full Version : ~NEEDED~ tool for Mission Building in BoB

Chuck_Older
09-17-2005, 05:41 PM
We need a tool to place relatively small objects that get placed in linear relation to each other, without placing every individual object

Example: Fencing. We need a tool that allows you to set a start and finish point, and the tool automatically "fills" the space between the two points with fencing.

Another example: concrete pads. Plenty of mission builders use these to make docks. Set your two points, and the space fills with the objects

Static trains are a good candidate for this too

Windows' "Paint" program does something similar when you set a straight line. If the BoB FMB used a line to represent where those objects would be, after you set a start and end point, and you could then click and drag a point along that line to form an arc, this would save a LOT of FMB tedium

HelSqnProtos
09-17-2005, 05:45 PM
S~!

Great idea, I hope someone is listening.

Grey_Mouser67
09-17-2005, 06:02 PM
I'm really, really hoping that Oleg upgrades FMB in BoB...I don't have much hope for this game, but Mission Building was my favorite aspect of CFS2 and outside some missing objects and such, it was the definitive mission building tool...at least what I've been exposed to.

Don't be shy...just indiscriminantly steal whatever works in other sims...give us sounds from Janes, MB from CFS2 and expandability, large formations from other sims..i hear EAW was really good too and I've heard Dynamic campaign from somewhere else was good too.... and keep the complex FM/DM/closed architecture for online play from FB/AEP/PF while opening up development with a section of addon objects and aircraft...that would be cool!

LEXX_Luthor
09-17-2005, 07:14 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif Great idea, I hope someone is listening.

Oleg said that BoB+ will have the same basic FMB but with new features (triggers for one).

I agree, opening access to some of the sim (NOT aircraft!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif ) for the 3rd Party Offline community would send BoB+ sales and popularity beyond anything we can imagine today. Well there is a way...Imagine the great popularity and sheer enthusiasm of 3rd Party additions in the other older lower quality sims even *today* and combine that with Oleg's Quality in a brand new sim.

p1ngu666
09-17-2005, 08:21 PM
i played a game with something similer, u held and dragged a wall or something, cant remmber what it was tho http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif
total anilation perhaps?

also, need tobe able to set stuff tobe a batch of blue, when its a default red target..

AWL_Spinner
09-18-2005, 06:26 AM
Good idea, would save a lot of time!

My biggest wish for the FMB is BoB are waypoint options that give the AI either a set amount of time to complete a task, or force them to move on / bug out back to base.

Currently it's impossible to set up a brief skirmish, fighters v fighters tends to end up in a 100% victory for either one side or the other before the AI moves on to the next waypoint (this can take ages with clumps of aircraft chasing each other across the map).

Similar with ground attack: would be nice to be able to set up an opportunistic ground strafe through heavy AA before running off back to somewhere safer, rather than currently where they tend to loiter around till they get themselves killed.

Overall though the FMB is brilliant - it's missing a few key things to make it an awesome tool.

For me,

1.) Triggers (player gets to point x, aircraft y spawns; player gets to point y, radio audio sample triggered ("Red leader, advise new radar contact bearing....")

2.) "Move on after x passes" as described in this post

3.) Vertically stackable objects (AA towers, items on the deck of ships, etc.)

4.) Chuck's linear construct idea at the head of this thread

5.) Ground spawn in shelters / hangers / dispersal for the player without having to mess around with 15-20 test runway 4's on an airbase.

6.) Ground taxi waypoints for AI.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

lowfighter
09-18-2005, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
We need a tool to place relatively small objects that get placed in linear relation to each other, without placing every individual object

Example: Fencing. We need a tool that allows you to set a start and finish point, and the tool automatically "fills" the space between the two points with fencing.

Another example: concrete pads. Plenty of mission builders use these to make docks. Set your two points, and the space fills with the objects

Windows' "Paint" program does something similar when you set a straight line. If the BoB FMB used a line to represent where those objects would be, after you set a start and end point, and you could then click and drag a point along that line to form an arc, this would save a LOT of FMB tedium

I think this is what you want: http://airwarfare.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=259&start=...1c551fda1bbece53da7e (http://airwarfare.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=259&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=00cf857d85181c551fda1bbece53da7e)

Bearcat99
09-18-2005, 09:05 PM
That is a good idea. Hopefully the FMB fopr BoB is at the point where somethin like that can still be added.

HelSqnProtos
09-19-2005, 12:35 PM
S~!

Bump for improved FMB.

Jettexas
09-19-2005, 12:48 PM
Great Idea!!! Much needed.

Along with-

multiple select
create group
copy group
loiter ,linger, orbit whatever you want to call it waypoint type.
Bearing info on waypoint lines

Independent Mission objective/target objects for BOTH sides.(means one side doenst "win by not losing"..which is VERY lame for multiple objective maps , and negates any possibility of a "draw")

Event triggers (if x then y) are a MUST.for any serious mission building program....glad to see that this is planned for BOB

and as long as we're wishing---
MAP TOOLKIT/TERRAIN EDITOR ...something like the terrain modeling tools in SketchUp5.0,(3d people , give it a shot, try the free trial)couldnt be easier..and with global 3d model(and its DEM info for import to terrain modelers) being open source ATM..off the rack software already exists, just need the games texture files to drape on the terrain..
this seems like it would be a slam dunk.

Bearcat99
09-19-2005, 01:19 PM
And dont forget skinnable static AC. Which could actually be set by making the default skin assignable. With the final say so on the server side... say if the server has skin DLs off... then it will go to the #1 default (the stock one) regardless to where you have your PC set.. but if it is set to default 2 it will go to the assignable default..... unless you have skDL turned off on your pc then that would overide the dl option on the server sider for your pc. With the server setting default 1 or 2 it would eliminate guys putting neon skins on all the bogies in full immersion servers... and you know if we had that option someone would try to use it as a cheat so the dual default setting would be the soulution.. if possible of course.

LEXX_Luthor
09-19-2005, 05:57 PM
We need larger formation sizes. This falls under AI programming (http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif), but mission sculptors work with formation sizes in FMB.

ECV56_Rolf
09-19-2005, 09:36 PM
General aids for mission building are needed.

Like copy and paste for units and buildings placements.

Also it will be really nice to reclasify some objects like petrol tanks, hangars, factories and the like so that they are registered when destroyed in the log (placing trucks and the like inside them is a bad solution). Maybe placing some of them in the "stationaty objects" section instead of "objects", will do the job.

And that moving ground units could have their speed selectable, as ship speed is. Or that they just move all at the same speed...

HelSqnProtos
09-20-2005, 01:07 AM
S~!

FMB needs increased functionality and support. Lets get this done please 1C.

AWL_Spinner
09-21-2005, 09:37 AM
For my current campaign, I throw my hands up in the air and pray for....

Divebomb waypoints for fighter aircraft equipped with ground attack ordinance.

Spitfires, 109s, 190s, etc., all carried bombs at one time or another and delivered same in near vertical dives; it's proving impossible to do this with current waypoints.

Please can dive-bombing behaviour be a GENERIC condition and not limited to several hardcoded aircraft routines.

Thanks!

Enforcer572005
09-24-2005, 08:58 PM
one thing the CFS2 mb had that we need is an AGRESSION level, which along with skill level really allowed twice as much control over ai behavior, and influenced the 100% victory/nobody bugs out issue.

I think anything that shoots should have a skill/agression level.....especially tanks and artillery.

I must disagree that the cfs2 mb was anything other than cr@p. that thing was unreliable, and half the cool features it had were useless because of that. the thing hated adon planes to. i saw it make quality ai planes taxi over oean etc.

F16_Petter
09-25-2005, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by Chuck_Older:

This tool you are talking about does already exist!!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Its created by one of our squadmembers and we use it for mission building.

With it you can create small sets of objects and place them in the FMB all from houses, trains objects whatever..

You can create a city, and all you need to do is to make it one time and save it as a setfile. Then you can insert it or as many of is as you like in the FMB.

I will post later when it is released to public.
It will also be possible for ppl to create and share their "sets" to others from our homepage!

If you want to have a look at it, you can see that its used in the =VALHALLA= server on HL.

Look at AA units and trains...

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Ill keep you notified!

It saves hours when you build missions!
So im very satisfied with it!
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Chuck_Older
09-25-2005, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by F16_Petter:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck_Older:

This tool you are talking about does already exist!!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Its created by one of our squadmembers and we use it for mission building.

With it you can create small sets of objects and place them in the FMB all from houses, trains objects whatever..

You can create a city, and all you need to do is to make it one time and save it as a setfile. Then you can insert it or as many of is as you like in the FMB.

I will post later when it is released to public.
It will also be possible for ppl to create and share their "sets" to others from our homepage!

If you want to have a look at it, you can see that its used in the =VALHALLA= server on HL.

Look at AA units and trains...

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Ill keep you notified!

It saves hours when you build missions!
So im very satisfied with it!
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fantastic! But it really needs to be included in the sim, when BoB ships

I'd love to have this in FB and I'm excited to try it out. But this should be a default feature in BoB when it gets released http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Aaron_GT
09-25-2005, 03:31 PM
I think more important than having stuff built into the game is to have the interfaces and formats very well documented so 3rd parties can do the magic that they have done with the DCG and UQMG again for BoB. More than this it would allow interfacing to an improved online war engine, as well as interfacing to various campaign engines. Perhaps what Oleg could do adopt the best of the 3rd party solutions (integration of online wars with web page generation and mission generation and the like) and give it some sort of seal of approval and a download link.

T_O_A_D
09-25-2005, 04:12 PM
Good idea, I also wish we could highlight a group of objects, then copy paste them in same formation elswhere on the map.

ECV56_Rolf
10-04-2005, 06:37 PM
I copy some requestes on the upward forum of sugestions for future projects.

Maybe that thread could be diminished a bit just to check what has already been sugesteed, and keep this kind of thing there, just to not loose all this kind of very positive Ideas in the never ending stream of FM, DM, patch requests and else, that are not as trully constructive as mission building is.

WTE_Vexx
10-10-2005, 01:19 AM
the ability to raise all objects not just lights and smoke.

Having buildings able to raise up can mean the difference between single storey and multi storey cities. it drives me mental.

Also making cool air racing maps, with tunnels using concrete blocks, light on the top. magic.

and change the classification for objects... Lighting and Effects, Static Vehicles/ Armour... and so on

Vex