PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hunter 3 and Windows 64

redsolo
04-09-2005, 02:57 PM
I have just installed Silent Hunter 3 on my new system running Windows 64. But it seems that the Starforce copyprotection does not support 64bits. From reading on the net, SF installs a 32bit driver. Which wont work at all with SH3. Ubisoft, please; could you contact the Starforce people, and request to get an update that works on windows 64 as well. (This is not the only game having problems with SF and 64)

And, yes Windows 64 has been released.

Now I have to re-install the whole OS, because I really need to play SH3.

Stephen.m
04-09-2005, 03:29 PM
hmm my buddy is about to go 64 bit, cpu and OS

you have intel cpu? if yes then doesn't the IA-32e kick in automatically? or do you have to right click the sh3 icon and pick compatiblity mode yourself like with 32 bit win xp picking win 95 compatibility mode ?

..:: IA-32e Operating Mode ::..

With the addition of EM64T, Intel has added a new operating mode referred to as IA-32e. This operational mode also includes two sub-modes, compatibility & 64-bit. The IA-32e mode can only be entered if the processor is working off of a 64-bit capable operating system, such as Microsoft’s upcoming WindowsXP x64 Pro. If it were to operate under a standard 32-bit environment, i.e. WindowsXP, the processor would run in IA-32 legacy mode. In IA-32 legacy mode, the processor could be run in the three common sub-modes, those being Real Address, Protected, & Virtual 8086.

..:: Compatibility Operating Mode ::..

When an EM64T capable processor operates under compatibility mode, it allows the bulk of legacy 16-bit and 32-bit applications to run without any need to be recompiled under a 64-bit environment. Under most circumstances, software developers would need to recompile their code with the latest version of Intel’s compiler, or another 64-bit capable compiler, to make their software take full advantage of the 64-bit capabilities. Those software developers who wish not to do so don’t risk having their software become incompatible due to this operational mode.

Compatibility mode is controlled by the operating system, and is controlled on the basis of code segments within an application. This is the foundation of the 32/64-bit support architecture as both 32-bit and 64-bit applications could be running at the same time. Applications run under compatibility mode have limited access to the first 4GB of linear-address space, and are only able to utilize standard IA-32 instruction prefixes and registers. The operand and address sizes are also limited to the IA-32 standards of 16-bit and 32-bit.

redsolo
04-09-2005, 04:29 PM
I have an AMD Athlon64. The AMD is capable of running 32bit apps, but as the Starforce copyprotection installs a 32bit kernel driver, then Im not sure that it is just up to the CPU. I think the win64 will not allow any 32bit kernel drivers, therefore making it impossible for Intel as well.
But I really dont know. Perhaps someonelse has some other explaination.

Stephen.m
04-09-2005, 05:31 PM
did you email the makers of star****?
maybe they have a fix.
http://www.star-force.com/protection.phtml?c=70
http://www.star-force.com/protection.phtml?c=71

sorry i can't help you without the same hardware. all my stuff is 32 bit

redsolo
04-11-2005, 02:04 AM
Yes, that was the first thing I did. And I got the reply, just now. They already have a x64 version of startforce, so now it is up to Ubisoft to release a patch for SilentHunterIII that runs on x64.

(Unfortunately, I installed the 32bit version yesterday; because my i had to play SilentHunter III) (game addict? yes!)