PDA

View Full Version : Touch down a little hot

slipBall
04-27-2009, 06:38 AM
Not a problem. I recently discovered that if I were to touch down with a bit to much speed. So much so that I would certainly run out of runway befor the stop. I could by walking the rudder, slow the aircraft to a stop without the need of the brake's. I know that this would not look very professional, but it sure slows you down in a big hurry. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

slipBall
04-27-2009, 06:38 AM
Not a problem. I recently discovered that if I were to touch down with a bit to much speed. So much so that I would certainly run out of runway befor the stop. I could by walking the rudder, slow the aircraft to a stop without the need of the brake's. I know that this would not look very professional, but it sure slows you down in a big hurry. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

mortoma
04-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Do you mean simply weaving back and forth from one side of the runway to the other? I've had a few dead stick landings where I went off the end of the runway so I'll have to try that.

squareusr
04-27-2009, 12:19 PM
I'd be reluctant to try that on the ground (too many things can go wrong there) but manically waggling the rudder in the air can be used to noticeably burn some speed without a big change in attitude.

slipBall
04-27-2009, 12:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma:
Do you mean simply weaving back and forth from one side of the runway to the other? I've had a few dead stick landings where I went off the end of the runway so I'll have to try that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, weaving from one side of runway to the other, then back again. I had lost the use of my flap's from ground fire, and had returned to base at a greater speed than normal. Mainly because I had not concentrated enough on my speed on final. I knew that I would run out of runway so I starting doing the weave while braking, I really slowed down fast and made it...I did another landing right after that one, just using the rudder to stop, works great! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

(quote)squareusr
I'd be reluctant to try that on the ground (too many things can go wrong there) but manically waggling the rudder in the air can be used to noticeably burn some speed without a big change in attitude.

Yes that is true, but it is nice to know about if you need it and must stop.

Zeus-cat
04-27-2009, 06:27 PM
It works quite well actually. Just be careful you don't get too wild with the rudder movements as you can actually spin the aircraft around. That works well if you are desperate to stop quickly though.

na85
04-28-2009, 01:18 AM
I've used that rudder weaving trick to stop a B25 in a hurry. Works great.

M_Gunz
04-28-2009, 01:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by squareusr:
I'd be reluctant to try that on the ground (too many things can go wrong there) but manically waggling the rudder in the air can be used to noticeably burn some speed without a big change in attitude. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even minor control wobbling will slow you down some in IL2. That's why trim works so well for getting speed up.

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-28-2009, 04:48 PM
I used to do that all the time prior to the 4.x patch where they changed the ground handling and gear strength. Now every time I try that I snap off my wheels, lol.

wayno7777
04-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Go full up on the elevator, also....