PDA

View Full Version : Wingman Keeps Crashing into me on landing! Help!

frapeforte1
02-25-2005, 06:42 PM
Hello!
I was wondering if anybody out there may know how to keep my wingman (or other flight members) from crashing into me on my landing approach. I have flown many missions (Spent time) shot down enemy and nursed my wounded bird back home just to have my wingmans screw up my progress. I have even tried using the loosen formation command but that stupid wingman will still crash into me. Does anybody have any ideas how to get them to stay away? or not cause my plane to explode on approach???
Thanks

Bikewer
02-25-2005, 06:54 PM
Use your "ground control" key to get permission to land. Normally they'll wave you off if there's traffic. Or keep circling till your wingman lands.

Or put "instant success" into your campaign difficulty, and exit when you get back to your field.

Tailgator
02-25-2005, 07:26 PM
if your in command of the flight, give them a "return to base" order

-HH- Beebop
02-25-2005, 08:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tailgator:
if your in command of the flight, give them a "return to base" order <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or......"Return to Previous Waypoint".

This is a real nerve-wracker. You're ready to land and BOOM! AI should stand for 'Artifical Idiot'.

jarink
02-25-2005, 09:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by frapeforte1:
Does anybody have any ideas how to get them to stay away? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could always shoot 'im. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Go to previous waypoint seems to work for me. that, and totally ignoring ground control and cutting into the landing pattern wherever you see an opening.

Texas LongHorn
02-26-2005, 05:54 AM
Jarink is right. While is seems to kinda' defeat the purpose of the pattern, I fly the pattern and then cut in and land when an opportunity presents itself <ggg.> That works for me anyway. All the best, LongHorn

RxMan
02-26-2005, 06:48 AM
If I'm still alive, I head for home as soon as I'm through spraying the ground with ordinance, as I'm usually winchester rather quickly I tend to get home before the rest. But I've actually never had that happen. In coops I always ask for landing clearance, the AI tend to obey ground control, as for other humans, well then they get the minus points, if I'm lucky.

plumps_
02-26-2005, 07:15 AM
In IL-2 the AI wingmen used to enter their landing pattern automatically as soon as they reached the last waypoint. The downside of that was that the AI wouldn't listen to your orders or defend themselves or you against the enemy as soon as they reached that point.

That was changed with FB. Now you have to order them to land ("Return to base"). If you do so they will fly (back) to the last regular waypoint before they enter the pattern.

NorrisMcWhirter
02-26-2005, 09:17 AM
Hi,

There is a clear omission (call it a bug, if you like) in the game with respect to AI wingmen and that is if you were not flight leader but assume the role if the leader is shot down.

In that case, you have AI wingmen following you about but you cannot give them commands so they will go off and land on their own. Instead, they simply smash into the ground as you land yourself. When you are flying DCG and it's important that you keep squadron members alive....it's a bit of a joke.

Norris

Latico
02-26-2005, 04:04 PM
Are you SURE that it is not YOU that is crashing into the AI wingman? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Zarathael
02-26-2005, 07:21 PM
Strange... I've never had that happen to me, I land however, wherever the notion strikes me. the only time I came close was when recently I flew in to base, set up an approach, and proceded to land downwind... dumb, but well, time's a precious comodity. Anyways, my wingie was landing upwind at the same time. Managed to dodge around him on one wheel. Still haven't found the seat cushion though.

mortoma
02-26-2005, 10:36 PM
One thing good about being the lowest in command is you can just go straight in for a landing and all the AI will go into the pattern, gives you a long time to approach and land. So either being the flight leader or the lowest ranker is the best. Being in the middle stinks.

Zeus-cat
02-27-2005, 08:59 AM
This happens to our squad a lot. Its especially bad for carrier landings.

When I play offline I try to get 180 degrees out of sync with the rest of the flight and land between 1 and 2 or 2 and 3 if I'm in number 4. If you're a flight leader then tell them to return to previous waypoint as others have said.

Zeus-cat

cow9th
02-28-2005, 12:11 AM
playing coral sea campaigns with the dgen i have noticed an appaling amount of ai suicides.

anyone landing causes multiple ai crashes (orders to ai are meaningless) and oddly enough when waiting to take of i have seen whole flights from neighbouring CV's make suicide attacks on my carrier, fun to watch if somewhat surprising when a wildcat hits your ship as your taking off.
the ai leaves something to be desired http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

all very weird.
nothing is as anoying as being stuck with an ai wingman though.......