PDA

View Full Version : Question about full real servers.

Lav69
01-20-2005, 02:41 PM
Why are the opponents bases always so far apart. What is the reason this is the case almost every time. And don't tell me for realim's sake. Can't we get some closer, faster action full real servers? Please.

Owlsphone
01-20-2005, 02:55 PM
I think it's so that the people that like to get above cloud level can actually get there.

If you're going to vulch in those servers you have to work a little more for the kill.

If the bases were so close no one would bother climbing after takeoff.

And finally, some planes would be pointless to use. It would turn into Spits vs. G2s and the like. What's the point in flying a P47 or a Ta152 if everyone is going to be cutting grass?

LStarosta
01-20-2005, 03:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lav69:
Why are the opponents bases always so far apart. What is the reason this is the case almost every time. And don't tell me for realim's sake. Can't we get some closer, faster action full real servers? Please. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just because you want to turn fight in a furball on the deck in your Spit doesn't mean everyone else wants to.

Lav69
01-20-2005, 04:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LStarosta:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lav69:
Why are the opponents bases always so far apart. What is the reason this is the case almost every time. And don't tell me for realim's sake. Can't we get some closer, faster action full real servers? Please. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just because you want to turn fight in a furball on the deck in your Spit doesn't mean everyone else wants to. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must've got owned recently. Again...

LStarosta
01-20-2005, 04:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LStarosta:

Just because you want to turn fight in a furball on the deck in your Spit doesn't mean everyone else wants to. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must've got owned recently. Again... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Talking about yourself in the third person is a sign of psychosis.

Lav69
01-20-2005, 05:20 PM
talking about you LStar.

jeroen-79
01-20-2005, 05:22 PM
And don't tell me for realism's sake. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>And what is wrong with that answer?
Historically airbases from opposing sides weren't within a few kilometers of eachother either.
Pilots didn't just takeoff and join the furball overhead.
They had to go out, find the enemy (or be found by the enemy) and manouver in a good position before engaging in a fight.
Putting airbases further apart will introduce these aspects of aerial combat.

LStarosta
01-20-2005, 06:44 PM
talking about you LStar. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boy, aren't you mentally agile...

CV8_Dudeness
01-20-2005, 09:06 PM
welcome to air-combat

the less it resembles air-quake . . . . . . the better

TgD Thunderbolt56
01-20-2005, 09:14 PM
In our server it's to allow bombers to achieve decent altitude primarily. We also air-start many of the bombers to make those 3-5k runs a bit quicker and less monotonous. It also brings the whole fight up there as well. Most fighter-jocks can't pass up a big, juicy bomber.

If the number of players is decent, the fight will be vertical and there will be action for everyone...regardless of the base distances.

TB

WTE_Galway
01-20-2005, 09:20 PM
within limits

i am a full difficulty fan myself and think identifying bogies without icons at range is an essential skill well worth learning .... however with map and aircraft icons off, if the bases are too far apart its difficult to even find the enemy at all, especially if the server only has a couple of planes online

TgD Thunderbolt56
01-21-2005, 06:08 AM
You can't force people to try to satisfy the objectives, but scripting helps "draw" pilots to a specific area albeit you can't be sure how they will show up (high, low, fast, slow) But if there are 10+ people on the server you can bet that at least a few from each side will at least read the mission brief and note the location of friendly and enemy targets.

Then they can tell the ones who sign on and hop right into a fighter, take off, climb to 2k and immediately ask..."Where's the fight?" ... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

LilHorse
01-21-2005, 11:13 AM
All very good responses. Yes, having bases in proximity for "closer, faster action" removes much of the realistic element from full real (full switch, difficulty, what have you). Close bases make for the goofy swirly turn fight servers. Turn fights were the exception rather than the rule in WWII air combat.

Osirisx9
01-21-2005, 03:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LilHorse:
All very good responses. Yes, having bases in proximity for "closer, faster action" removes much of the realistic element from full real (full switch, difficulty, what have you). Close bases make for the goofy swirly turn fight servers. Turn fights were the exception rather than the rule in WWII air combat. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Warbirds of Prey has been running a full real server for months now and with low participation. I didn't know that there were still individuals interested in flying full switch. I would like to invite you all to come and fly on the server. All of our missions are geared for ground pounding. Part of the problem with full real servers is that pilots who attempt to fly full real for the first time fly as if they were flying on a server with Icons and minimap on. They expect to takeoff in their late war uberfighter, climb to 25000ft, flame someone, run back to base which is only 2k away and collect their points. Sorry to say that this is not going to happen on a full switch server. These guys get frustrated and say Full Real sucks because all they know how to do is fly on servers with more relaxed settings. In fact it€s not that full real sucks
but the pilots approach to flying full real is the problem. If you fly the objective on a full real server, you will find the enemy aircraft or they will find you. It€s not always about the fighter or how many of them you can shoot down. But the way this sim is played online today, you would be led to believe that it is all about the fighters and how many of them you can shoot down in 15 minutes. If you come on with that quick kill arcade mindset full switch is not for you. Full switch requires you to use more of your brains instead of the server id-ing targets for you via icons and taking care of nav duties via minimap path. I€m really surprised that more bomber pilots are not flying full switch. They really excel in the environment. For those of you interested in learning how to fly full switch just join Warbirds of Prey. Membership is free and we will be more than happy to teach you how to fly full real. Our server on hyper lobby is called Raptor_Aces

RAF238thOsiris
www.warbirdsofprey.org (http://www.warbirdsofprey.org)

FA_Maddog
01-21-2005, 04:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Osirisx9:

Warbirds of Prey has been running a full real server for months now and with low participation. I didn't know that there were still individuals interested in flying full switch. I would like to invite you all to come and fly on the server. All of our missions are geared for ground pounding. Part of the problem with full real servers is that pilots who attempt to fly full real for the first time fly as if they were flying on a server with Icons and minimap on. They expect to takeoff in their late war uberfighter, climb to 25000ft, flame someone, run back to base which is only 2k away and collect their points. Sorry to say that this is not going to happen on a full switch server. These guys get frustrated and say Full Real sucks because all they know how to do is fly on servers with more relaxed settings. In fact it€s not that full real sucks
but the pilots approach to flying full real is the problem. If you fly the objective on a full real server, you will find the enemy aircraft or they will find you. It€s not always about the fighter or how many of them you can shoot down. But the way this sim is played online today, you would be led to believe that it is all about the fighters and how many of them you can shoot down in 15 minutes. If you come on with that quick kill arcade mindset full switch is not for you. Full switch requires you to use more of your brains instead of the server id-ing targets for you via icons and taking care of nav duties via minimap path. I€m really surprised that more bomber pilots are not flying full switch. They really excel in the environment. For those of you interested in learning how to fly full switch just join Warbirds of Prey. Membership is free and we will be more than happy to teach you how to fly full real. Our server on hyper lobby is called Raptor_Aces

RAF238thOsiris
http://www.warbirdsofprey.org <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good answer Osirisx9. The Fallen Angels runs our server the same way, if you want action go to the target area of the mission objective.