PDA

View Full Version : Beta Nine

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 02:47 AM
So I got the patch and installed it, after reverting to the original FB but hanging on to the Beta 8 files in case I decided I liked 8 better. So how does the new version compare?

On the basis of some admittedly cursory testing: pretty closely, I'd say. It's really not all that different.

Most of the fixes and improvements I see were already present in Beta 8. The Blue Wing of Death and the Amazing Exploding P-40 were already fixed, as was the laser-aimed AA fire and the instant-death head-on passes and various other FB bugs. In fact my first reaction was, "Hell, this is just Beta 8" - but no, they've definitely changed some things.

And what they've changed, as far as I've been able to tell so far, is for the better. Some of the flight models are more credible - the P-39 once again likes to flat-spin, the LaGG-3 bleeds speed in an extended tight turn, the Hurricane is neither the UFO of stock FB nor the gutless cow of Beta 8 - and for that at least we can be happier.

There are also some minor but nice fixes, like the artificial horizon in the US and British planes finally working properly.

On the other hand, there are things they didn't fix in Beta 8 that still aren't fixed in the new version. The trim is still a royal pain to use, the muzzle flashes still look like something out of a Sergeant Rock comic book, and the P-47 still rolls like a fat old lady turning over in bed.

(That last is rather curious; it actually seemed to me that it handled better in Beta 8 than it does now. But I admit I didn't spend much time studying the Jug's handling qualities, either in Beta 8 or the new one, because the cockpit graphics are still ghastly and there's no way I could stand to look at that Etch-a-Sketch gunsight long enough to fly a mission.)

And there are a couple of new bugs, that weren't present in FB but were introduced in Beta 8, that they haven't fixed. One, the airplanes still raise dense, blinding clouds of dust when taking off from concrete runways IN A RAINSTORM!

This was brought up by a number of people on that thread in SimHQ, when the people who had Beta 8 were reporting bugs; and we were told very definitely that the developers were aware of this problem and that it would be fixed. It wasn't. Surprise surprise.

The worst thing about the new patch, though, is of course the sound. As everybody has surely discovered by now, it's porked. It cuts out, in various situations, and sometimes it comes back and sometimes it doesn't. Or you lose your own engine sound while still hearing everything else.

I'm seeing people saying, hey, don't get excited, it's probably something that can be fixed with some simple adjustments to your sound setup. No. A lot of people already tried different ways to try to fix that sound bug and nothing so far has worked.

I'm also seeing people saying well, report it through channels so they can fix it.

Understand this, people: THE SOUND BUG WAS PRESENT IN BETA 8. It has been reported, again and again, by all sorts of people, and the reports were forwarded to Maddox and he acknowledged receiving them.

Yet it hasn't been fixed, and so far none of the official announcements has made any mention of it; nor is there anything in the Readme about it. Nothing saying, "The sound still has some major problems, we're working on it, we hope to fix it in the next patch, sorry." I haven't even heard anyone from Maddox or Ubi admit it EXISTS. They just keep talking about how the sound has been "overall" improved.

Yeah, right. In the same sense as Montgomery's statement that the Arnhem debacle was an "overall successful operation."

So that's at least a partial answer to the question of what they've been doing for the last month or so, since the creation of Beta 8. They have indeed made some improvements. Enough to be worth waiting an extra month? I think so; I'm damn glad to have the cranky old P-39 back, I was missing her. Enough to outweigh their failure to do anything about the hopelessly buggered sound? Tougher question. But at least they haven't been just sitting on their butts.

There are also, it appears, some changes in the dynamic campaign, but I don't use that so I can't comment. Same for anything to do with network or online applications.

I'd be interested in hearing the reactions of other people who used Beta 8, especially those with experience online or in the dynamic campaign, since I know nothing about these. There has been rigid censorship of any references to the leaked beta patches in here, but since the official one is out now, and the leaked betas are of purely historic interest, I don't see why there would be any objection.

Of course that assumes logic and reason on the part of the mods, which is a pretty unsound assumption; but we shall see.

Blind Joe Death

aka
inada
Mulla Stondaa
Hugh G. Rexion
Heywood Jablomi
I.P. Innuendo
mogilshchik
bezumniy

(Don't tell me you didn't know.)

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 02:47 AM
So I got the patch and installed it, after reverting to the original FB but hanging on to the Beta 8 files in case I decided I liked 8 better. So how does the new version compare?

On the basis of some admittedly cursory testing: pretty closely, I'd say. It's really not all that different.

Most of the fixes and improvements I see were already present in Beta 8. The Blue Wing of Death and the Amazing Exploding P-40 were already fixed, as was the laser-aimed AA fire and the instant-death head-on passes and various other FB bugs. In fact my first reaction was, "Hell, this is just Beta 8" - but no, they've definitely changed some things.

And what they've changed, as far as I've been able to tell so far, is for the better. Some of the flight models are more credible - the P-39 once again likes to flat-spin, the LaGG-3 bleeds speed in an extended tight turn, the Hurricane is neither the UFO of stock FB nor the gutless cow of Beta 8 - and for that at least we can be happier.

There are also some minor but nice fixes, like the artificial horizon in the US and British planes finally working properly.

On the other hand, there are things they didn't fix in Beta 8 that still aren't fixed in the new version. The trim is still a royal pain to use, the muzzle flashes still look like something out of a Sergeant Rock comic book, and the P-47 still rolls like a fat old lady turning over in bed.

(That last is rather curious; it actually seemed to me that it handled better in Beta 8 than it does now. But I admit I didn't spend much time studying the Jug's handling qualities, either in Beta 8 or the new one, because the cockpit graphics are still ghastly and there's no way I could stand to look at that Etch-a-Sketch gunsight long enough to fly a mission.)

And there are a couple of new bugs, that weren't present in FB but were introduced in Beta 8, that they haven't fixed. One, the airplanes still raise dense, blinding clouds of dust when taking off from concrete runways IN A RAINSTORM!

This was brought up by a number of people on that thread in SimHQ, when the people who had Beta 8 were reporting bugs; and we were told very definitely that the developers were aware of this problem and that it would be fixed. It wasn't. Surprise surprise.

The worst thing about the new patch, though, is of course the sound. As everybody has surely discovered by now, it's porked. It cuts out, in various situations, and sometimes it comes back and sometimes it doesn't. Or you lose your own engine sound while still hearing everything else.

I'm seeing people saying, hey, don't get excited, it's probably something that can be fixed with some simple adjustments to your sound setup. No. A lot of people already tried different ways to try to fix that sound bug and nothing so far has worked.

I'm also seeing people saying well, report it through channels so they can fix it.

Understand this, people: THE SOUND BUG WAS PRESENT IN BETA 8. It has been reported, again and again, by all sorts of people, and the reports were forwarded to Maddox and he acknowledged receiving them.

Yet it hasn't been fixed, and so far none of the official announcements has made any mention of it; nor is there anything in the Readme about it. Nothing saying, "The sound still has some major problems, we're working on it, we hope to fix it in the next patch, sorry." I haven't even heard anyone from Maddox or Ubi admit it EXISTS. They just keep talking about how the sound has been "overall" improved.

Yeah, right. In the same sense as Montgomery's statement that the Arnhem debacle was an "overall successful operation."

So that's at least a partial answer to the question of what they've been doing for the last month or so, since the creation of Beta 8. They have indeed made some improvements. Enough to be worth waiting an extra month? I think so; I'm damn glad to have the cranky old P-39 back, I was missing her. Enough to outweigh their failure to do anything about the hopelessly buggered sound? Tougher question. But at least they haven't been just sitting on their butts.

There are also, it appears, some changes in the dynamic campaign, but I don't use that so I can't comment. Same for anything to do with network or online applications.

I'd be interested in hearing the reactions of other people who used Beta 8, especially those with experience online or in the dynamic campaign, since I know nothing about these. There has been rigid censorship of any references to the leaked beta patches in here, but since the official one is out now, and the leaked betas are of purely historic interest, I don't see why there would be any objection.

Of course that assumes logic and reason on the part of the mods, which is a pretty unsound assumption; but we shall see.

Blind Joe Death

aka
inada
Mulla Stondaa
Hugh G. Rexion
Heywood Jablomi
I.P. Innuendo
mogilshchik
bezumniy

(Don't tell me you didn't know.)

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 03:09 AM
That is basically what I reported on my squad forum /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif . Those sound bugs are really annoying. The new campaign generator is actually worth something unlike the old one. The 1.1b patch is nothing more than beta 08 with a new campaign generator and the addition of plane types to the online score/ping/player list.

----------------------------------------
<center>I/JG1 Oesau (http://jg1-oesau.org) is recruiting. Join us!

Stab.I/JG1Death at HL, Maj_Death at Ubi.com

At the start of WW2 the German army lacked experienced anti-aircraft gunners. The average gunner was so bad that the USSR decided to help them out. They did it by forcing some of their pilots to fly I-153 flak magnets. These planes were slow but very sturdy. This allowed German anti-aircraft gunners to get a large amount of target practice on a relatively small number of planes. Thanks to the Soviets help, by the end of the war the German anti-aircraft gunners were amoung the best in the world.
</center>