PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed & Legacy of Kain

Valaquen_
11-19-2011, 10:41 AM
This is something that got my mind whirring way back upon AC1's release, and I wondered if Ubisoft were indeed in any way influenced by the Legacy of Kain series when it came to writing AC. Here are some parallels that I thought were interesting (note: let's not get trigger happy and get overly defensive; in now way am I saying that AC 'ripped off' any of these elements, they are simply interesting parallels.)

AC: Main character Altair is notorious for his ego.
LoK: In Blood Omen, main character Kain is infamously egotistical.

AC: Altair is 'killed' by his mentor, Al Mualim, 'revived' (not literally, mind), demoted, and sent on a task to redeem himself - kill 9 Templars to restore order to the Holy Land and uncover a deeper conspiracy that ends in a battle with his mentor.
LoK: Kain is killed by his later 'mentor,' Mortanius, and is resurrected as a vampire, which Kain sees as a curse (a biological demotion, as it were), and is sent on a quest to kill 9 sorcerers in order to restore order to the world of Nosgoth, unraveling a deeper conspiracy along the way that ends with a battle against his mentor and resurrector.

AC: Those Who Came Before were a first civilisation upon Earth, who left clues of their existence in ancient artifacts and temples.
LoK: The Ancients were Nosgoth's early peoples, who left clues of their existence and prophecies in ancient temples and artifacts.

There were some other parallels that slip by me, but I think these are interesting enough. Anyone reckon that Ubi were LoK fans? Regardless, both series' contain fantastic storylines.

Il_Divo
11-19-2011, 11:38 AM
As a huge Legacy of Kain fan, I think it's an interesting idea, but I'm going to have to disagree with some of your points here, primarily because in some cases they're a little too vague to say that AC definitely paralleled Blood Omen.

Originally posted by Valaquen_:

AC: Main character Altair is notorious for his ego.
LoK: In Blood Omen, main character Kain is infamously egotistical.

Here, for example, I think we need to consider what the writer does with these characters. A huge ego isn't that uncommon of a starting point for any character following the Hero's Journey. While Kain and Altair both begin with a huge degree of arrogance, let's consider that Altair's journey revolves around his genuine understanding of what the creed means, rather than taking "everything is permitted" at face value. AC1 is all about how Altair moves away from his arrogant streak, where Blood Omen 1 follows Kain as he embraces his new vampirism. In that sense, Kain's retention of his ego is pretty integral to his character, in comparison to Altair.

AC: Altair is 'killed' by his mentor, Al Mualim, 'revived' (not literally, mind), demoted, and sent on a task to redeem himself - kill 9 Templars to restore order to the Holy Land and uncover a deeper conspiracy that ends in a battle with his mentor.
LoK: Kain is killed by his later 'mentor,' Mortanius, and is resurrected as a vampire, which Kain sees as a curse (a biological demotion, as it were), and is sent on a quest to kill 9 sorcerers in order to restore order to the world of Nosgoth, unraveling a deeper conspiracy along the way that ends with a battle against his mentor and resurrector.

This is actually pretty interesting and something I never really picked up on. Who knows? This very well could have been intended.

AC: Those Who Came Before were a first civilisation upon Earth, who left clues of their existence in ancient artifacts and temples.
LoK: The Ancients were Nosgoth's early peoples, who left clues of their existence and prophecies in ancient temples and artifacts.

This is the other aspect where I disagree, primarily because the ancient, long-destroyed civilization is a fairly popular trope, and can be found in many other series, games and otherwise, such as Mass Effect and the Elder Scrolls. It's not that Ubisoft could not have copied LoK, but that the trope is so common it could have been obtained from practically anywhere.

There were some other parallels that slip by me, but I think these are interesting enough. Anyone reckon that Ubi were LoK fans? Regardless, both series' contain fantastic storylines.

Indeed, both are also exceptionally confusing and require multiple play-throughs to fully understand. But then, that's part of the fun! :P

Valaquen_
11-19-2011, 12:21 PM
This is the other aspect where I disagree, primarily because the ancient, long-destroyed civilization is a fairly popular trope, and can be found in many other series, games and otherwise, such as Mass Effect and the Elder Scrolls. It's not that Ubisoft could not have copied LoK, but that the trope is so common it could have been obtained from practically anywhere.
I can't speak for Mass Effect etc., having not played them, and I agree that it is a familiar trope, the similarity to me was that exploring these temples to unearth ancient secrets that are integral to the plot was what grabbed my attention. Not saying that anyone stole from anyone http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Indeed, both are also exceptionally confusing and require multiple play-throughs to fully understand. But then, that's part of the fun! :P
Agreed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for your response!

iN3krO
11-19-2011, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Il_Divo:

This may appear trolling or sort of but i need to say it... Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 are fun to re-play-though but Assassin's Creed Brotherhood got me bored in my second play-though....

Will this happen to me in AcR?

Il_Divo
11-19-2011, 01:21 PM
Agreed Thanks for your response!

No problem. This is one of the more original/interesting topics out there, so it caught my eye.

Originally posted by daniel_gervide:

This may appear trolling or sort of but i need to say it... Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 are fun to re-play-though but Assassin's Creed Brotherhood got me bored in my second play-though....

Hmm, that's difficult to say without more information. What exactly about Brotherhood bored you? Particularly compared to AC1? I ask because other than viewpoints and flags, I don't recall AC1 having much replayability either, so I'm thinking it must have been some other element.

iN3krO
11-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Il_Divo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Agreed Thanks for your response!

No problem. This is one of the more original/interesting topics out there, so it caught my eye.

Originally posted by daniel_gervide:

Hmm, that's difficult to say without more information. What exactly about Brotherhood bored you? Particularly compared to AC1? I ask because other than viewpoints and flags, I don't recall AC1 having much replayability either, so I'm thinking it must have been some other element. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, Ac1 was a little boring mission-sided but the combat wasn't boring (yeah, i think AcB combat boring :X) and i loved the conversations (not saying they are bad at AcB).

Also, i don't remember doing a main mission in Ac1 the same way twice or more, but in AcB there are missions that can only be acomplished one way (or it's just me that often try to do it thought the fast way, and that fast way in Ac1 is common the hardest or the one u need to think a bit more).

An example of a boring mission of AcB:
The mission u have to save caterina sforza in st angelo.

An example of a stupid mission (u can take all the guards only thought button smash):
The one u need to protect the mercenaries' guild. (i would love to do that mission with ac1 combat system, it would be even more epic then ac1's templar battle in the "end" and would require u to call assassin's recruits).

This is the first assassin's creed i'm reconsidering buy or not to buy, i don't want to feel disappointed if i give 50bunks to ubisoft to end up not replaying it :X