PDA

View Full Version : Smooth zoom view?

GoToAway
05-17-2005, 02:50 AM
I could have sworn that there was a utility that let you bind zooming to an axis, but I can't find anything of the sort. Basically, I'm looking for a way to cycle through FoVs on an axis...

Does something like this exist, or did I just dream that I saw it?

Thanks

Bearcat99
05-17-2005, 05:59 AM
I think Crash or Ivan had a link to somnething like that.... Illsee if I can find it.

Bearcat99
05-17-2005, 06:03 AM
Well it wasnt Crash.. but try here (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/48610464/r/19610464#19610464).

LeadSpitter_
05-17-2005, 02:03 PM
There was a way to bind all views to a slider, its still not smooth but theres more important things for sliders ask rbj.

Waldo.Pepper
05-17-2005, 02:35 PM
This is so easy to do without using a slider I am surprised more people don't do it.

With a track IR the hat button is freed up to use for other things.

I use POV hat 1 on my x-45 for this.

In controls section of PF I set increase fov to E and decrease fov to Q.

Pressing the hat up makes a Q press (to zoom in), and down makes a E press (to zoom out).

So each time I press the hat up it makes an E, or Q downward. But the clever part comes with the profiling software and the X-45.

Right click on the up button of Hat 1 and choose Advanced editor. Then copy the following screen:

http://www3.telus.net/public/a5a03316/boom/screen.JPG

What this does is it make the button send a Q every 0.02 seconds for as long as you hold the button down.

Then do the same thing for the down button.

Easy peasy. Now the zoom is simulated, just like in LOMAC.

If you want it even faster than 0.02, make it 0.01.

Good luck.

GoToAway
05-17-2005, 04:15 PM
Thanks. I'll try that.

Bearcat99
05-17-2005, 07:03 PM
Hmmmm Im going to have to try that.... I currently have my AUX butgon of my X-45 set for Zoom Normal and Wide view. I will try to do it that way keepinf the center position for normal.

Bearcat99
05-17-2005, 07:47 PM
That works great!!! I was using my AUX switch for Gunsight,Norm & Wide view. Now the middle position of my Aux button does nothing but the forward zooms in toward gunsight and the backward zooms out toward wide. I noticed the times were preset... how did you get the time to quantize to 0.02?

Waldo.Pepper
05-17-2005, 10:18 PM
I noticed the times were preset... how did you get the time to quantize to 0.02?

Do you mean how did I change the times?

From SST Manual (from Saitekusa.com website).

Just like in the Macro Recorder, the numbers underneath the keystrokes represent the time in seconds from when you pressed the first key in the sequence; in the Advanced Editor though you can adjust these timings. Simply point the mouse cursor at the time you wish to adjust and you will notice that the cursor changes to a clock with two arrows either side of it. Now click and hold down the left mouse button and drag the mouse right to increase the time or left to decrease. Once you are happy with the timing just let go of the mouse button and the new timing will be saved.

Glad you like it. I used to use my aux switch like that also... till I did this.

Here is a goofy little track of the zoom in action.

http://www3.telus.net/public/a5a03316/boom/exampleofzoom.ntrk

Bearcat99
05-17-2005, 11:34 PM
Got it!! Now I will have to redo my stick setup...

Freelancer-1
05-18-2005, 12:03 AM
If anyone could show me how to use the rudder rocker on the X-45 throttle for the zoom. That would be way cool as you could have a quick peek and then it would return to the default view when released.

I can map most things, but the rocker and rotaries elude me.

Thanks, Freelancer

Waldo.Pepper
05-18-2005, 12:10 AM
Freelancer - I could type out how to do what you want - but Saitek has already done it.

Download the sst manual from here..

ftp://ftp.saitekusa.com/pub/support/SSTManual.zip

It is quite excellently written, quite comprehensive and unlike most manuals helpful.

The section you need to read it titled Axis

Programming (Rotaries, thumb wheels etc.)

BTW what you want is quite easy to do.

Have fun.

Freelancer-1
05-18-2005, 12:17 AM
Done.

Thank you, Mr Pepper

Bearcat99
05-18-2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Freelancer-1:
If anyone could show me how to use the rudder rocker on the X-45 throttle for the zoom. That would be way cool as you could have a quick peek and then it would return to the default view when released.

I can map most things, but the rocker and rotaries elude me.

Thanks, Freelancer

Try flaps on the rocker works real well.

TC_Stele
03-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Uh, dang, that's really nice. I've been using the X-52s mouse switch to zoom from the three positions, but this works out much more smoothly. I only wish I'd seen this when I first started this sim. Thanks for sharing.

Chris0382
03-06-2007, 10:32 AM
iM going to try it on a throttle wheel.

good stuff

Haigotron
03-06-2007, 10:33 AM
this thread is gold! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif thanks alot everyone, will have to reconfigure my x45 today teehee

bluedragon1950
12-20-2007, 07:22 PM
Does anybody try to apply this to the ruder trimming?

Bearcat99
12-20-2007, 07:33 PM
Rudder trim is even easier... just go into the controls section.. scroll down to the HOTAS section highlight Rudder Trim and then move the slider you want to use.

bluedragon1950
12-20-2007, 10:10 PM
Hi Bearcat99,

I did try but it's way to much with slider movement, I meant u can't fine trim as u mapped i to a button and then click it. I could be wrong so look for advise.

Thx

Waldo.Pepper
12-20-2007, 10:52 PM
I meant u can't fine trim as u mapped i to a button and then click it.

==

Two points. Firstly yes you can fine tune a slider. And yes you can setup a button to operate trim.

Firstly fine tuning a slider.

There are a couple of ways. The easiest is to use Fooltrottel's excellent il2-sticks program to adjust the 'sensitivity' or the 'curves' of the conf.ini file. (This would be my preferred method if I needed to do it - but I don't. I am lucky enough to have a stick with enough rotaries that I can assign a rotary to all three axis' of trim. And I prefer the trim to be naturally responsive with no further need for fine tuning.)

The other way is to use the Saitek software to 'break' the response of the slider/rotary into a number of bands - and make the last 5 or 10% of the travel of the rotary into the active part. Which will then conducts am advanced command (the pressing of a key stroke like in my original example.)

This method is kind of terrible though. The reason that this is kind of terrible is that if you are careless and leave the rotary in the portion of its travel that is doing the key press - it will do this until you manually move it back from the active position. (unless it is the twist with centeres due to a spring. )

Finetuning is done in this example by adjusting the time between the repeat function of the key presses called by the advance command. (From 0.02 to something like 0.75 - so that you have to lean on the button/hat switch (or whatever button you assign) for a lot longer.

Or you can setup a button, any button to do the same thing.

I hope my explanation is understandable. But if not the SST manual is excellent and included all the answers you need.

Good luck.