PDA

View Full Version : Didn't buy AC2 because of online feature.

chaostheory6682
02-10-2011, 10:06 AM
I went into the store to purchase Assassins Creed 2 for PC today and saw that it said that I needed a permanent internet connection to play. I then reconsidered my purchase and left without buying. I want a stand alone game that I can play anytime I want, on the go, at home, on lunch at work, etc. Their is no point in the feature, it is more of a nuisance than anything. It prevents me from enjoying the product anywhere but when I am tied to a connection at home. Sorry but no thanks, I am not interested.

P.S. I have plenty of friends that are avid gamers that don't always have internet connections. I hadn't actually asked why they didn't have AC2 for PC, now I know.

Ass4ssin8me
02-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Once again DRM has screwed over a paying customer, more than it can prevent pirates.....

magesupermaster
02-10-2011, 01:00 PM
DRM or not, you're missing out on a great game.

AnthonyA85
02-10-2011, 03:03 PM
From what i understand of Mr Shade's comments about the DRM, the internet connection is only required when you first start the game and it synchs with Ubisoft's servers. I believe it was scaled back so connection is not constantly required anymore. As well as saving your game online, it also saves local backups on your harddrive (which you can copy to a laptop if you need to) so that if connection to the net is ever lost, you can keep playing, and it will save your progress locally.

Abeonis
02-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by chaostheory6682:
I went into the store to purchase Assassins Creed 2 for PC today and saw that it said that I needed a permanent internet connection to play. I then reconsidered my purchase and left without buying.

Your loss, it's a fricking awesome game!

iN3krO
02-10-2011, 03:30 PM
DRM sucks and i'm about boycoting ubisoft...

Alpha Ender
02-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Sure you are. They won't miss your cheery disposition.

Back to the thread...I had heard about that, never dealt with it myself (console player), but I can understand why that would be a point against buying it. I would suggest getting it, regardless of the Internet issues. If it works out to only need it for the registration, awesome, if not, cherish the time with the Internet because it is an amazing game. =)

chaostheory6682
02-11-2011, 12:58 AM
I have heard that it is a good game, that's why I wanted to play it. I just have a hard time supporting this kind of intrusive DRM. If it connects to register the game when you install it, I am fine with, but having to connect online everytime to play the game is ludicrous. Also the idea of my game saves and content being stored online is even more bothersome. I have no problem saving my own content. I have these things called Hard Drives and Memory Cards that do a fine job with just that. And I have always been capable of backing up my own data in the past, what do these companies suddenly think we are all incompetent, lol. It could be a nice option to have, if it was just that, an optional function. In my opinion they are taking this to far and then trying to put a pretty face on it by adding silly features. I will look into this subject a little deaper and see what is going on, thanks for the input people!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

M-dahaka
02-11-2011, 02:32 AM
You can always do as I did: buy the game, play it, and when ubisoft servers go down or your internet connection is on the frits, put the crack in and copy your most recent save files.
<span class="ev_code_RED">Do not bypass the Language Filter. Posting about cracks will earn you an immediate ban. I wouldn't suggest doing it again.</span>

Ru1986
02-11-2011, 03:00 AM
You only have to have a internet connection to get the DLC. So long as you are playing it on a Console. If your playing it on the PC my adivce is dont its much better on a console its not really the sort of game that benefits having it on the PC.

M-dahaka
02-11-2011, 03:16 AM
exept for the fact that PC owners get the 2 DLC for free while you guys have to pay for it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Ru1986
02-11-2011, 03:29 AM
Yea but the game is not a PC game it just does not feel right using a Keyboard but maybe i only say that because i have only ever played it on a console.

AntiChrist7
02-11-2011, 03:33 AM
It's not 1999 anymore. internet is all around. A permanent internet link, isn't that what you already have and use?

It's your choice, so your loss on a great game

Ru1986
02-11-2011, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by AntiChrist7:
It's not 1999 anymore. internet is all around. A permanent internet link, isn't that what you already have and use?

It's your choice, so your loss on a great game

Agree with this it seems silly not to buy IMO the best game of 2010 just because of something that today is plentiful wereever you go (unless you live in the outback atall)