PDA

View Full Version : Piece of Cake

GatorSub1942
09-29-2008, 04:41 PM
This might not be the right place to post this, but does anyone know of the Battle of France/Britain mini series from the early 90's, 'Piece of Cake' ever came out on DVD and if so, any idea where I can get a copy?

M_Gunz
09-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Time just shoots on by....

This one by any chance? (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0157239/)

GatorSub1942
09-29-2008, 05:03 PM
That's the one! Any idea where I can get it new? I don't really deal with second hand stuff over the 'net.

Mercwolf2
09-29-2008, 05:13 PM
Piece of Cake was actually a book written by Derek Robinson. I have read the book and it is ok. Derek Robinson wrote a few other war books about squadrons in WW1 and WW2. Just some additional info.

GatorSub1942
09-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Yeps, I have the book as well, although it's not in good condition (the opposite) due to some moron placing it under someone's sink shortly after I got it!!!!! I have the series on VHS, but it's really ageing and the sound's going, so I don't think transferring to DVD will help it much. If I can't find it to buy though, that's what I'll have to do.

Woof603
09-29-2008, 05:27 PM
If you live in the USA "Piece of Cake" is available for rent from Netflix.com.

GatorSub1942
09-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Thanks for your help, but I'm from the UK. However, I think I've found it!!!!

http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sku=066805917011

M_Gunz
09-29-2008, 05:39 PM
Ohhhh, so this is about your homeboys, huh?

GatorSub1942
09-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Damn, that's from a US site. So, I don't even know if it'll be compatible with my DVD player (currently a PS3).

GatorSub1942
09-29-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by M_Gunz:

There's also an American pilot and a New Zealander who feature fairly heavily, not to mention a Pole and a Czech. It mirrors the world-wide effort in the Battle of Britain and it's a great watch for anyone interested in the period.

x6BL_Brando
09-29-2008, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by GatorSub1942:
Damn, that's from a US site. So, I don't even know if it'll be compatible with my DVD player (currently a PS3).

Google a handy little program called AnyDVD

M_Gunz
09-29-2008, 07:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:

There's also an American pilot and a New Zealander who feature fairly heavily, not to mention a Pole and a Czech. It mirrors the world-wide effort in the Battle of Britain and it's a great watch for anyone interested in the period. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds more like PC revised history to me! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif And it's British made!

Okay, I need a reality check! How many mixed-nationality RAF squads had British members?

fabianfred
09-29-2008, 08:42 PM
I have the DVD set ...I got it from Amazon.com IIRC

jensenpark
09-29-2008, 08:54 PM
The books are fantastic...highly recommended if you can find them.

the dvd is great as well...stays pretty true to the book.

Luckily, my good friend Dubbo from the Hellhounds was kind enough to lend me his as they are hard to find (ok, I actually just took them from his house...)

WTE_Ibis
09-30-2008, 05:36 AM
Great flying, a good story (some licence taken though) but never the less great entertainment.
It's from Grenada International and the DVD is made in Canada.
I searched the net in vain to find a PAL copy and bought the US version. It worked ok on my player.
Recommended, I had to watch the three DVDs in one sitting http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif well it was a rainy day.
**** rating if you're not offended by some inaccuracies.

M_Gunz
09-30-2008, 05:54 AM
I'm just so used to Hollyweird and the "History" channel that I automatically watch for errors.

The hard part is I no longer have friends who I can play competitive spot the error with!
First one to get the obvious, no arguments it's wrong error gets the point. Winner or losers
having to take a drink is optional.

My 8th grade history teacher had his own set of cliches (like, "This is quite true") that we'd
go to class with a paper naming all 7 or 8 and put a mark for every one he used. After class
we'd compare scores. Yes, we really paid attention in history!

GatorSub1942
09-30-2008, 03:15 PM
There are undoubtedly plenty of errors in Piece of Cake, but most of them are down to the aircraft available to the producers at the time. They probably couldn't find any flyable Hurricanes, so they had to make Hornet a Spitfire squadron, even though there weren't actually any Spittie squadrons in France at the time. Also, most of the Spitfires look like Mk9s, you can tell by the pointed shape of the tail and the presence of cannons on many of the aircraft, but that's just me being a fussy, historically accurate git! It doesn't get in the way of the quality of the story at all.

@Those who have the DVD, does it have extra footage that wasn't shown in the TV showing as far as you're aware? And do you come from the UK?

GatorSub1942
09-30-2008, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by WTE_Ibis:
Great flying, a good story (some licence taken though) but never the less great entertainment.
It's from Grenada International and the DVD is made in Canada.
I searched the net in vain to find a PAL copy and bought the US version. It worked ok on my player.
Recommended, I had to watch the three DVDs in one sitting http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif well it was a rainy day.
**** rating if you're not offended by some inaccuracies.

It's very easily done to blow through the whole story in one sitting, once it has you hooked, it doesn't let go easily! I've noticed that some of the prices I've seen advertised are stupidly expensive! 40 or 50 for a three DVD boxset! Once again, did those who bought it from Amazon come from the UK? I've read a lot about potential problems with TV/DVD compatibility and AnyDVD won't be of much use, because I won't be watching it on my PC screen.

GatorSub1942
09-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by jensenpark:

Luckily, my good friend Dubbo from the Hellhounds was kind enough to lend me his as they are hard to find (ok, I actually just took them from his house...)

Books? Are there more than one then, does the story continue? I'd love to see what happens to Hornet next...

Mr_Zooly
09-30-2008, 03:21 PM
this may be kind going off at a tangent but I went to the BBMF HQ a few weeks ago, the thing that stood out was that the Mk5 had a merlin 266 (US built 66 engine). Wouldnt that make the plane a Mk8/Mk9. Yes I know that some engines are hard to get a hold of but for me its like calling a trout a baby salmon.

Outlaw---
10-01-2008, 10:32 AM
I wonder why the fate of CH3 was different between the book and the mini-series?

--Outlaw.

GatorSub1942
10-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Outlaw---:
I wonder why the fate of CH3 was different between the book and the mini-series?

--Outlaw.

I've mislaid my copy. What happened to him in the book, did he survive?

Edit: I've now found a site that should have some in stock in a few weeks:

http://www.simplyhe.co.uk/

GatorSub1942
10-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by fabianfred:
I have the DVD set ...I got it from Amazon.com IIRC

Region 1 or 2?

Mr_Zooly
10-01-2008, 01:25 PM
PCs are region free yes?
UK is region 2 I think (along with France).

GatorSub1942
10-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Yes, UK is region 2. I'm trying to find out if there's a region 2 version doing the rounds. PCs are region free, but I want to watch it on my big screen, and that's too far away to be connected to PC. I really don't want a cable snaking all the way across the room!

M_Gunz
10-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Yes, UK is region 2. I'm trying to find out if there's a region 2 version doing the rounds. PCs are region free, but I want to watch it on my big screen, and that's too far away to be connected to PC. I really don't want a cable snaking all the way across the room!

There's a wireless LAN standalone that allows you to play any videos from your PC and to
digitize back to the PC but I forget the name. One of my brothers has one and was telling
me about it. look Ma, no cables!
If you could wireless up some controllers then you could probably play IL2 on the big screen.

GatorSub1942
10-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Interesting, but I doubt if my PC has the power to play games on a 26in screen.

M_Gunz
10-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Gator.... you can change the resolution to suit, maybe have to run lower vertical.

Urufu_Shinjiro
10-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Interesting, but I doubt if my PC has the power to play games on a 26in screen.

Screen size does not matter, is the TV a full 1080P HDTV? Is it a 720P HDTV? Is it a regular standard def tv? Only the first one might cause the X1950 trouble, 720P is only 1280x720 so only slightly more pixels that the standard il2 res of 1024x768. Standard def is only 640x480.

WTE_Galway
10-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
Standard def is only 640x480.

Actually I think a lot of early TV (B&W ??) was only broadcast at 320 X 240 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

M_Gunz
10-01-2008, 08:08 PM
NTSC (Nat'l Television Standard Code) is 525 lines vertical of which IIRC 480 are shown, the
rest being sub-code. There is no horizontal resolution in NTSC, the signal varies continually
during the sweep. So you could say Infinite x 480 at (practically) 30 FPS.
Since color depends on the chroma signal and it's analog there's another version of the
meaning of NTSC from Japan: Never Twice Same Color.

jensenpark
10-01-2008, 09:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jensenpark:

Books? Are there more than one then, does the story continue? I'd love to see what happens to Hornet next... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sorry - should have been more specific...books plural, as in by Derek Robinson.

There are a couple of recurring characters from Piece of Cake that appear in A Good Clean Fight (3 of them).

The WW1 books are excellent...One is called Hornet's Sting...and one of the characters later shows up in the WW2 books (the Adj known as Uncle).

A bit over-used term to say "I couldn't put them down" but I couldn't...they are that good.

GatorSub1942
10-02-2008, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by jensenpark:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GatorSub1942:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jensenpark:

Books? Are there more than one then, does the story continue? I'd love to see what happens to Hornet next... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sorry - should have been more specific...books plural, as in by Derek Robinson.

There are a couple of recurring characters from Piece of Cake that appear in A Good Clean Fight (3 of them).

The WW1 books are excellent...One is called Hornet's Sting...and one of the characters later shows up in the WW2 books (the Adj known as Uncle).

A bit over-used term to say "I couldn't put them down" but I couldn't...they are that good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't suppose you have links to where you got those books? I loved Derek Robinson's style in Piece of Cake, so any other wartime books written by him are welcome!

Edit: Anyone wanting Piece of Cake in the UK, keep your eye on that site I linked to above. They stock it in Region 2 for 8.49 + 1.99 p&p. So wait for them to get it in and get it there, don't get ripped off by Amazon, they want 40+ for the region 2 version!

Edit: It appears to be in stock now! It's DVD Region 2, uncut version. So, all good. I've ordered it, hopefully it'll be here soon.

BOA_Allmenroder
10-02-2008, 08:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Outlaw---:

--Outlaw.

http://www.simplyhe.co.uk/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's still alive at the end of the book.

If you really want to see a difference between a book and movie/series, try reading The Blue Max....you'll be very surprised.

Mercanario
10-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by BOA_Allmenroder:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GatorSub1942:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Outlaw---:

--Outlaw.

http://www.simplyhe.co.uk/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's still alive at the end of the book.

If you really want to see a difference between a book and movie/series, try reading The Blue Max....you'll be very surprised. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>the film of the Blue Max was better than the book, i thought

Mercanario
10-02-2008, 05:01 PM
heres a clip of piece of cake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT1L3l5dvhA

oh, btw dont watch all of the clip if you dont want to spoil the ending http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

GatorSub1942
10-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Has anyone actually got the Region 2 Uncut UK version? Has it got any footage that was maybe left out of the original LWT showing?

GatorSub1942
10-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Didn't someone here want 'Angels One Five' on DVD? Well, I think this is it:

http://www.simplyhe.co.uk/Shop/Aviation/WW2-Planes/1263...+01+10+to+31+12).htm (http://www.simplyhe.co.uk/Shop/Aviation/WW2-Planes/126306+Angels+One+Five+(%c2%a35%5bfs%5d10+CP+01+10 +to+31+12).htm)

They've also got this one:

http://www.simplyhe.co.uk/Shop/Aviation/WW2-Planes/1305...f+the+Few%2c+The.htm (http://www.simplyhe.co.uk/Shop/Aviation/WW2-Planes/130527+First+of+the+Few%2c+The.htm)

Seems that this is the place to go for rare war films on DVD?

MB_Avro_UK
10-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Hi all,

I have the DVD and recommend it to all.

As far as I remember,I bought it from Amazon about 2 years ago.

It's not a propaganda movie.

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

GatorSub1942
10-02-2008, 05:44 PM
You mean 'Piece of Cake'? No, it isn't a propaganda movie, far from it. It's an excellently acted war drama with well created characters and a gripping storyline. I haven't watched it for years, I'm looking forwards to the arrival of my copy.

Edit: How much did you pay at Amazon? The version I linked to is the uncut region 2 UK version.

MB_Avro_UK
10-02-2008, 06:16 PM
I can't remember how much I paid. It wasn't too much otherwise it would have stuck in my memory.

Possibly about 10 but I could be wrong.

Worth about 30 IMHO at least.

Acting is above average. ('Above Average' in WW2 RAF Aircrew Selection Standards = Superb).

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

jsaumarez
10-03-2008, 04:43 AM

--Outlaw.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Piece Of Cake ends with Barton and CH3 attacking German bombers over London on September 7 or 15, I can't remember which. Barton and Patterson reappear in A Good Clean Fight (the sequel, set in North Africa), as do Kellaway and Skull. Strangely, so does Baggy Bletchley, the Group Commander, who was killed in Piece Of Cake. I've never been able to work out how that one got by the editor.

Anyway, Robinson has written at least three WWI novels. The first and best is Goshawk Squadron, which is probably the best war novel I've ever read. Then come War Story and Hornet's Sting (and possibly one other, again I can't remember). The WWII novels are Piece Of Cake, A Good Clean Fight, and Damned Good Show (about Bomber Command, and sadly not very good).

I can't recommend Goshawk Squadron and Piece Of Cake enough. They were once published by HarperCollins, but I think the last publisher was Cassell.

GatorSub1942
10-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by jsaumarez:

--Outlaw.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Piece Of Cake ends with Barton and CH3 attacking German bombers over London on September 7 or 15, I can't remember which. Barton and Patterson reappear in A Good Clean Fight (the sequel, set in North Africa), as do Kellaway and Skull. Strangely, so does Baggy Bletchley, the Group Commander, who was killed in Piece Of Cake. I've never been able to work out how that one got by the editor.

Anyway, Robinson has written at least three WWI novels. The first and best is Goshawk Squadron, which is probably the best war novel I've ever read. Then come War Story and Hornet's Sting (and possibly one other, again I can't remember). The WWII novels are Piece Of Cake, A Good Clean Fight, and Damned Good Show (about Bomber Command, and sadly not very good).

I can't recommend Goshawk Squadron and Piece Of Cake enough. They were once published by HarperCollins, but I think the last publisher was Cassell. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeps, Baggy suffered a very painful death, sounds like a real boo-boo by the editors of the sequel. Does the sequel have the same kind of style as Piece of Cake?

Padser
10-06-2008, 03:51 PM
You mean 'Piece of Cake'? No, it isn't a propaganda movie, far from it. It's an excellently acted war drama with well created characters and a gripping storyline. I haven't watched it for years, I'm looking forwards to the arrival of my copy.

It's well worth the wait, too.I remember when this was first aired and contrary to it being thought of as pro-British propaganda there was quite a fuss because it was felt that a number of the pilots are painted in anything but a positive light and certainly not in the stereotypical image of the mythical Spitfire pilot. The derring-do 'What, ho' types tend to make an early exit... It's the cold-eyed killers and nutters that stay the course...

I can't recommend Derek Robinson's books highly enough to anyone interested in World War II aviation - truly outstanding!

Check out the others: http://www.derekrobinson.info/derekrobinsonpage3.html

TTFN

Pads

PS Oh and by the way - I ordered my DVD version from Canada, I think and was able to play it no probs on my pos old DVD player.

coolinoz
10-06-2008, 11:47 PM
brits rubbish pilots, kiwis and yanks save the day..even your own autjors see this

GatorSub1942
10-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by coolinoz:
brits rubbish pilots, kiwis and yanks save the day..even your own autjors see this

Oh not you again, you flaming moron! The vast majority of Fighter Command was composed of British pilots! Many other nations chipped in, but the backbone was British. And the best pilot in Piece of Cake? Moggy Cattermole. BRITISH!

Now I've got a chance to say it 'face to face', try telling the SAS that they're rubbish warriors! Geez, what a prat.

Now to say what I came here to say:

It's been dispatched! Should have it in a few days...

Mercanario
10-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by coolinoz:
brits rubbish pilots, kiwis and yanks save the day..even your own autjors see this http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

GatorSub1942
10-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Mercanario:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by coolinoz:
brits rubbish pilots, kiwis and yanks save the day..even your own autjors see this http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh and since you're being so damned insulting to those brave young men who gave their lives for your freedom, I won't be polite either. Learn to spell, eh? autjors!