PDA

View Full Version : Variants, pursuit evasion, chivalry and you.

Uhclem
03-10-2006, 10:00 AM
Hey you wonderful IL-2 dudes. I don€t post here often, or rather, not since I stopped skinning. (I did a 109 template with weathering, and I notice very similar effects on many skins released today. That always makes me feel good.)

I€ve watched the community from day one, coming back now and again to fulfill my dogfight fix, but this last time I€ve noticed myself more bored with IL2 than I ever have been. The reason: IL2s multiplayer pilots are really boring people.

90% of the fighters I down these days are Spitfires, and not just any Spitfire, specifically the 25 pound variant. I understand that this plane is new, though it€s still a damned Spitfire, and it€s quite common to see a flood of players in the new planes after every release, but seriously guys, a Spitfire is a Spitfire and the new variant ain€t that amazing.

The variants in general bug me. Many players fly the new K4C3 too, and I have to ask myself why? The G6A/S turns better and could be said to perform better at low altitudes, while the G2, though slower, has excellent handling characteristics and can generally out climb a K4 to some degree.

Of course, I know they fly the C3 because it€s faster than the K4 standard, which is really annoying to me because I know too that as soon as I get on the tail of one, they€ll just fly away €" run from the dogfight, until either I get bored and turn around, prompting them to begin chasing me, or until I get tailed by one of their teammates, who generally runs out of ammo trying to shoot me down €" it€s like most folks don€t know what to do when the plane in front of them jinks.

Everyone should understand, there are maneuvers, real piloty maneuvers (Go look them up right now. Search for terms like Skid, Chandelle, and the very important Scissors maneuver) that are designed specifically to throw the guy on your tail in front of you. These are what you should be using to defeat your enemy! You will get shot down sometimes because they are not always successful, but you might as well try, right? Running away is boring as hell, takes massive amounts of my dog fighting time away, and makes you look like a cowardly butt. I€ve had planes run for 20 minutes in the direction opposite of their base. That€s just pointless. Obviously if you€re not fighting me, I can not shoot you down. The ability to fly away until your opponent gets tired does not make you a good pilot! You guys who were around when the 262 was dominating should especially remember that. (Semantics: Running away for a short time to gain the advantage or because you€re out of ammo or your plane€s falling apart is fine, but I€d appreciate if you€d tell me first so I don€t waste time gunning down someone who can€t put up a fight.)

Which brings me to one other thing. Shooting down people who can€t put up a fight isn€t a very cool way to play the game.

A lot of pilots play BandZ these days, which is fine, even when their BandZing in a plane that€s not meant for it. I can stand that. What I can€t stand are pilots who, in lue of vulching, dive from 2500 meters down on planes that have just taken off then fly away again. To me, that isn€t fun. I know it takes a certain type of individual to derive enjoyment out of winning with incredibly stacked odds, usually the same type of individual who€ll fly the best variant of his aircraft exclusively. These are not the type of people I envy.

This is not war. Deaths do not count. There are no reasons to run from your opponent. This is not war. There are no reasons to down a limping aircraft, or to engage an opponent who has a significant and unfair disadvantage. I would go on to add that there€s no reason to bother landing just to secure your kills, but it€s obvious some folks need the extra 90 points for ego gratification.

I€d like more pilots to try and embrace the chivalrous, €œduel€ aspect of air combat, rather than the €œgive yourself such an advantage you won€t lose€ aspect of war. If you€re a newbie who can€t seem to shoot anything down, try some of these suggestions, maybe then you€ll realize you don€t need to fly the most bad *** crate to be an ace, and you might start racking up more kills.

Instead of flying the FW-190 D9, why not try the A-9? The A-9 has more baseline power than the D-9, a greater compliment of weapons, and better handling at low speed. (The extra wing mounted cannon option on the A-9 assures that anything that gets in front of you becomes a serious form of swissed cheese.) It won't out turn a D-9 though, which makes it a bit of a dog when you're fighting Spits, but it will outrun a Spit at low altitude, and that's classy.

The same is true for the MKVIII version of the Spitfire. It can out turn its later variants and perhaps even outrun them at low altitude. Its drawback is a decreased machine gun caliber, from .50 to .303. But they did have two extra .303s to make up for it.

The F4F Wildcat was regarded as a very easy jug to fly by American pilots. It, and the Hellcat, are. It doesn€t have the race inspired handling of European planes, but it performs like a naval aircraft should with rapid acceleration and engine response and it boasts very decent low speed/low altitude performance. The FM2 is the best handling of the bunch but the problem I have with it is that I find it€s armament to be quite insufficient for shooting **** down. (Only other major problem this plane has is that it€s like 7000 times the size of a BF-109, which makes you a white whale on a black background.)

Try giving the P-63 or the P-39 a go. They can turn with Spitfires, though they€re a bit squirrelly, especially early variants of the P-39, and they have a very awesome weapons compliment. I usually pin someone from about .40 - .20 meters away with my fifty calibers, then wait until they turn or dive before taking a proper shot with my 37mm. That plane is about the 1-2 punch. Cripple them with the fifties, then blow them apart with your 37. They can€t survive extended turn fighting, but if you get the first shot off, and it€s a cannon hit, you should win the engagement.

Ok, so that€s a long post and much of a rant. Anyone else have a favorite variant they like to fly? Anyone else want to prevent our multiplayer from turning into more of the same ****? Share your skills. I€m especially interested in methods or pursuit evasion. I know there has to be hundreds and I only know five or so €" neat little graphics would be really cool. Maybe if our pilots knew more of these, they would be more inclined to dogfight and we€d see less Spitfire whoring and Boom and Zooming. Lets try some variety boys. Spice of life and all that.

Ernst_Rohr
03-10-2006, 10:33 AM
I can agree completely.

When I tried flying online, I apparently went in witha big sign that said "N00B: Vulch me plz" trailing behind my AC. I got drove like a bus by several guys using exactly those kinds of "techniques".

I like flying Japanese AC, but not the FOTM ones. I like the Ki-61, and if its an early war match (like you ever see those anymore) the Ki-43 (which gets me laughed at).

I also like flying the P-39, and the later varients are pretty good AC. The 37mm is indeed a game winner. One solid hit with that can opener, and fights done (especially against some of the popular planes right now). I flew one recently and got told I was "lame" because I used it, only after blew the tail off of my oppenents AC with a snap shot on a pass.

That kind of thing has been going on since the game 1st came out though. A patch is released, the FM changes on a plane and suddenly its the "killer" AC for online play. We still see it happen, nothing new there.

ColoradoBBQ
03-10-2006, 10:43 AM
I've taken a liking to the Macchi 202 variants. Guess that's me because I tend to fly planes that everyone else just hates to fly; P-51s, Hellcats, Ki-61s and -100s, etc.

vanjast
03-10-2006, 11:14 AM
That the choice Oleg gives to all. The choice to fly 'easy' planes so a lot of people think that they're good virtual pilots.

Me, I flew a few planes then mainlined on the ME109 first (of which I always choose the G6AS) and the FW190 (A9's and earlier only, depending on the period).

Why, because nobody wanted to fly them. They thought they were difficult to fly. They were very surprised to find a FW outflying a Spitfire. Impossible... not when you know how to handle these planes, and most importantly when you outwit the opposition completely.

Try these planes and live a full life.
What was that one statement from a English BoB pilot.. "..any fool can fly a Spitfire.."
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Targ
03-10-2006, 11:54 AM
A true gentleman who honors chivalry would not post such a rude and ego centric post as this. Bottem line, you are a poor sport.

reverendkrv1972
03-10-2006, 11:56 AM
If there are early aircraft available,I'm flying them.especially Hurricane(b)wildcat,Ki43,zero's

If I'm with my mates,then we'll all fly the same planes and go for the server goals...just the other night there was 3 of us in Typhoons groundpounding,also in mosquito's...in one of the maps we destroyed >60% of the targets available.

I don't fly spitfires much,and when I'm 'forced' to fly one,i dont really enjoy flying it(I'd rather look at it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)

I also find it annoying when people fly 'the latest-biggest-gunned'best'' planes available...but at then end of the day,that's their perogative.I might not do great,but I'm having fun & getting a challenge from flying early planes(just not many servers providing themhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif)

I've had a few 15/20minutes+ dofights with people before & those are the best times.aswell as the forementioned 'co-op' flying with my buddies.

regards..

Rev

Uhclem
03-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Ernst_Rohr:
That kind of thing has been going on since the game 1st came out though. A patch is released, the FM changes on a plane and suddenly its the "killer" AC for online play. We still see it happen, nothing new there.

Yar.

Since the first release, where I can remember starting most engagements below 1000, pilots seem at least to have learned how to fly a bit better. It's routine now to have to climb in order to trail your attacker, which is something I like because I'd always felt high altitude dogfights were severely underrepresented. Occasionally I'll get to deal with some very sexy maneuvers that end with me stuck to the tail of an airplane just above the deck at 650kph, fighting my own blackouts more than I'm fighting stalls and sudden boom and zoom strafing. But those moments are few.

I guess my problem lay in the amount of regulation IL2 servers impose on pilots. Both the major no-cockpit servers will kick you if you strafe grounded pilots, but will do nothing if you simply wait until they're barely off the ground. They also ban "shoulder shooting" which is nice, since I can remember when 5 or so planes would line up behind someone and turn their flight medium into something very solid and usually on fire. Thing of it is - five planes still often trail one fighter, though instead of shooting him down right away, they prolong the inevitable by taking turns trying to hit him. Many, many times per match I've smoked a fighter, only to have him finished by somebody else who passed in front of me mid-combat. That is of course when my own team doesn't shoot me down or collide with me while vying for position. Said one gamer "I love IL2, it's like chess," to which another responded, "No, it's racing."

I guess we're all just racing for kills.

Personally I think that's ridiculous. I find enough enemies to shoot down without having to join someone elses engagement, and, if I really want to help someone out, I'll take out an enemy locked up with one of my team, rather than steal a teammates target.

The public servers also ban vulgarity, something I, as a civilized man, simply can't abide. But that's another story.

My point is: We get 101 rules to follow, but none of the major problems are fixed. If idiots would just play fair, we wouldn't need any of them. I really don't care that much, but I'm used to being able to call out the little ****s who don't play nice, something impossible to do with the IL2 community since most of the ****s arn't little, and too many of them have a hard time accepting it's a game. Plus, by posting about it here maybe more people will have the guts complain when whatever particular offence that beguiles them occurs, and you'll be surprised how many internet toughguys change their ways when the servers they play on start mocking them.

All of this thread has made me happy though. Good to see it's still about the fun for a few people.

Originally posted by Ernst_Rohr: A true gentleman who honors chivalry would not post such a rude and ego centric post as this. Bottem line, you are a poor sport.

So you're saying because I'm not a gentleman what I say doesn€t count? That's called argument ad hominem, a gentleman would have recognized that since a gentleman never would attack another person of the non-gentlemanly persuasion using such a painfully stupid method of discourse. I endeavor to suggest that you sir, are too, not a gentleman! It shall be pistols at dawn. My second will be by your manor with tea and to make arrangements. (Look - I kid, I kid because I love. And I'm just trying to get folk to play fair. Do you have a problem with playing fair? You must because I enjoy playing fair and if you don€t enjoy me then you must not enjoy my idea of playing fair.)

ImpStarDuece
03-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Why in the world are you complaining what aircraft other people choose to take on an unregulated dogfight server?

People who frequent D/F servers want several things when they fly on-line:

A) to fly and have fun, and

B) to WIN, or at least compete against their opponent in a fight which they have a good chance of winning

so obviously they are going to choose the aircraft that maximises their potential to do both. Chivalry doesn't enter into it.

Now, I really can't speak for the rest of you, but i'll wager that getting shot down is considered a NOT FUN activity for the majority of us. In order to avoid that people will take the planes that they percieve as giving them the best chance to avoid being shot down, while also giving them the best chance to shoot their opponents down.

What you really want is better control by the server adminsitrators over the plane sets. That is the ONLY way you will stop the majority of players from choosing the 'fastest with the mostest' planes in the game. Don't expect people to purposely limit their choices to what you want the to, because they won't. If everyone else is flying K4s, La-7s, F4U-1C, Ki-84s, +25lbs Spitfires, D-9s, A-9s, Mustang IIIs and the like, then why should you expect them to fly a Mk VIII, P-39 or FM-2. That puts themselves at a disadvantage. It's like asking people to take a knife to a swordfight. Or to tie an arm behind their back before stepping into the ring with Mike Tyson.

If I fly online (a somewhat less rare occurence recently), I generally DON'T choose what everyone else is flying. Thats me, I go out of my way to be a little different. I'm a contrary-ist by nature. I see what everyone else is doing and usually want to do something different. So I fly Hellcats, Ki-61s, B-25s, P-47s, P-51B/Cs, Yak-7s and the like when no-one else is flying them. I understand your point, I just don't agree with it. I'd much rather see realistic plane sets with a focus more towards 1940-1943 than the current ugly mess of 1944-1945 planes that most dogfight servers tend to.

My advice: seek out servers with realistic and carefully thought out plane-sets and stick to them. Avoid dogfight servers and Warclouds like the plauge. Alternativevly, set up your own server and put your money where your moth is.

Ernst_Rohr
03-10-2006, 02:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst_Rohr: A true gentleman who honors chivalry would not post such a rude and ego centric post as this. Bottem line, you are a poor sport.

So you're saying because I'm not a gentleman what I say doesn€t count? That's called argument ad hominem, a gentleman would have recognized that since a gentleman never would attack another person of the non-gentlemanly persuasion using such a painfully stupid method of discourse. I endeavor to suggest that you sir, are too, not a gentleman! It shall be pistols at dawn. My second will be by your manor with tea and to make arrangements. (Look - I kid, I kid because I love. And I'm just trying to get folk to play fair. Do you have a problem with playing fair? You must because I enjoy playing fair and if you don€t enjoy me then you must not enjoy my idea of playing fair.)

Thats misquoted, I didnt say that at all, that was Targ. And I dont know what his issue is with what you stated. Your comment sounded quite reasonable to me.

Uhclem
03-10-2006, 03:42 PM
I agree. Setting up my own server and plane sets would stop the majority of problems. I could probably also avoid it by flying on the cockpit restricted servers, since those guys tend to be a little bit more hardy, and the cockpit presents it€s own challenges that largely prevent what€d I€d ranted about. I don€t have a track IR though and I€m half blind, so I get into a lot of problems with plane identification.

Originally posted by ImpStarDuece:
In order to avoid that people will take the planes that they percieve as giving them the best chance to avoid being shot down, while also giving them the best chance to shoot their opponents down.

I quoted this though, because I€d love to dispel the myth that flying the most awesome variant will make you a super cool pilot. Just the other day I€d heard a new player complaining about his accuracy with the Spitfire, so I suggested he try a plane with nose mounted guns, since you don€t have to worry about setting convergence. He did and did well with it. It€s impossible to tell whether it€s a placebo, or that he realistically shot better, but at least he was flying something that he represented.

And, just like it was impossible to know if that guy did better because of the plane or because of his attitude, when someone€s flying an uber plane, it€s impossible for me to know if he€s doing well because of his plane, or because he€s actually a good pilot. You mentioned bringing a knife to a gunfight, and that makes sense. I know everyone wants to win. And if you fly an uber plane, you will win, even if you don€t know how to dogfight at all, because in most cases you can simply outrun everything.

What I really want, is a company of bad asses. People who do bring knives to gunfights, eviscerate the gunmen, and then crochet hand bags out of their entrails. Do you want to sell hang bags or do you want to go down in history as a big looser who does what everyone else is doing?

Most of this thread seems like the bad *** type €" I€d just like to see more of you guys.

Sorry about this misquote too. And I€ve got to apologize to Targ, because, if I remember right, Targ at one point was RS Targ, and I€ve done nothing but harass the RS guys at every opportunity. It€s just because those guys are almost always playing and are also usually the highest scoring pilots in the room. I€m nothing if I can€t bite the ankles of the winners.

IV_JG51_Prien
03-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Troll

Uhclem
03-10-2006, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by IV_JG51_Prien:
Troll

You're cool. Using fancy internet lingo even.

This board gets it fair share of FM whining, folks always complain that their favorite crate is underrepresented, so they feel oppressed and the winning aircraft hold out.

Is it crazy to think that IL2 has sufficient physical variables in aircraft dynamics to allow the performance of one aircraft over another to be largely a matter of perception?

The rest of the multiplayer trash tactics assure supreme advantage to certain players.

Guys. Guys. (significantly few ladies) This is an internet board that maybe 5000 people read. Some of these guys fly online, and I€m hoping the word spreads into the IL-2 games.

Seriously. Outside of the few thousand that play this game online, no one knows about us, and worse, we€re arguing about something that€s not physically real. Lighten the hell up. I haven€t seen a game as competitive as IL-2 since Counter Strike turned into some mutated form of geek sport.

You get a lot of points cool. But the points aren€t real and you can be damned sure outside of like maybe 10 people, all of which are in your cool squadron, no one will notice.

Besides. It€s a proven fact that it€s much cooler to be the underdog who comes out on top.

So mix it up for once is all I€m saying.

CornbreadPattie
03-10-2006, 09:55 PM
I kick *** with the A6M-series. I always want to fly Wildcat but when I get to the dogfight room the IJNAF is always outnumbered about 3 to 1. So I choose the A6M and there is plenty of game out there. I do get bested but I usually pull about a 5 to 1 kill ratio in it. It's a blast to pump many 7.7mm bullets into a crate which you know can take them. And it's awesome when you make them make a bad move and they plow into the sea.

The trick with the A6M is getting a lot of height. Then you dive onto your prey and keep in their blind spots. But situational awareness is key since their mates will try to swat your off their tails like a fly.

I love to play with the Buffalo but I have problems with my vision so my tactics and survival are terrible.

IV_JG51_Prien
03-10-2006, 10:44 PM
You're cool. Using fancy internet lingo even.

This board gets it fair share of FM whining, folks always complain that their favorite crate is underrepresented, so they feel oppressed and the winning aircraft hold out.

Is it crazy to think that IL2 has sufficient physical variables in aircraft dynamics to allow the performance of one aircraft over another to be largely a matter of perception?

The rest of the multiplayer trash tactics assure supreme advantage to certain players.

Guys. Guys. (significantly few ladies) This is an internet board that maybe 5000 people read. Some of these guys fly online, and I€m hoping the word spreads into the IL-2 games.

Seriously. Outside of the few thousand that play this game online, no one knows about us, and worse, we€re arguing about something that€s not physically real. Lighten the hell up. I haven€t seen a game as competitive as IL-2 since Counter Strike turned into some mutated form of geek sport.

You get a lot of points cool. But the points aren€t real and you can be damned sure outside of like maybe 10 people, all of which are in your cool squadron, no one will notice.

Besides. It€s a proven fact that it€s much cooler to be the underdog who comes out on top.

So mix it up for once is all I€m saying.

Troll.

vanjast
03-11-2006, 04:54 AM
Hmmm! extensive vocab... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

jds1978
03-11-2006, 07:26 AM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a66/jds1978/gobble.jpg

Jumoschwanz
03-11-2006, 08:37 AM
One of the things that spoils an online server more than anything is someone whining in the chat bar about the fighting style of others, and making excuses when they get shot down or do not get what they personally want.

One of my favourite moments was when a well-known online FW190 pilot was repeatedly shooting the krap out of two also well-known VVS squad/yak pilots on a cockpit-on server, all the while the Yak pilots calling him a coward and a p u ssy for not turn-fighting with them in there superior turning planes two against one so they could shoot him down. Now THAT was pathetic. The FW190 pilot was smartly using his planes strength and his alt advantage to get the job done, as he should have, and these whiners were crying about it.

I saw another pilot ask a boom and zoomer "are you here to fight or what? You should earn your opponents six". Another mo ron comment. A boom and zoomer, takes his valuable time to get to alt, uses his smarts to position himself to find the enemy, then uses his skill to make a great high speed single-pass kill. His actions are every bit as fun to him as the turning and burning the other guy is doing on the deck, so leave him alone to have his fun. If he shoots ANYONE down on the server he has earned it for sure.

Same for those who get get kills flying bombers or anything else, they are having fun, and if someone is too s tupid to stay out of the way of the bomber-gunners then they deserve what they get. Yes we have d ummies who get killed by bombers then whine about it too.

So Uhclem, you are certainly some kind of d ouchebag, and we will be glad to see you take another long break from the community, so we do not have to listen to you whine about your time being wasted, and whine about how if anyone has fun in any other way than you do they don't measure up. Take a f*(&cking hike a s shole.

Jumoschwanz

IV_JG51_Prien
03-11-2006, 09:41 AM
Hmmm! extensive vocab...

Eh, well just seems like thats all he was doing. But I could be wrong.. He could REALLY be a pompous jerk who's mad that people don't turn and burn with him on his arcade servers.

So I was trying to be civil http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

skycaptain_1
03-11-2006, 10:17 AM
This is not war. Deaths do not count. There are no reasons to run from your opponent. This is not war. There are no reasons to down a limping aircraft, or to engage an opponent who has a significant and unfair disadvantage. I would go on to add that there€s no reason to bother landing just to secure your kills, but it€s obvious some folks need the extra 90 points for ego gratification.

actually some of this behavior comes from servers offering stats.

I like stats servers I enjoy seeing how well I'm doing, I do hate it when I've been fighting another person and he limps away only to get shot down by someone else, it's a little frustrating when your playing for points! Which IS why we have a points system in the game.

I also like a good fun dogfight where your flying with your mates and it doesn't matter who gets the kills and you let people fly home damaged cos they gave you a great fight!!

If I want the one stlye I go here if I want the other I go there! There IS plenty of choice in servers if your prepared to look for it, don't paint the whole online community with the same colour.

I love flying the Spitfire 25lb boost, I love to fly it well! on and offline,(just wish I could) I'm sure I'm not boring though! I think it's a fantastic plane, but if it's not on the list I'll pick something else like the zero and that russian 153 by-plane great fun!!

gthgrrl4game
03-11-2006, 10:27 AM
I fly this sim for fun but haven't had the time or desire to fly online.
Yet.
I used to play Counterstrike.
With my friends it was a blast but the trash talking, TK'ing and Cheating/Hacking got really bad.
Even with Admin rights to Bar and otherwise punish the Trolls that came onto our server, it simply wasn't fun anymore http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
So I dropped out of that.
My Kill stats were very good, I just got tired of the smack talking....
Why bring this up? Cause I really hope that this is not the case in IL2/PF online.

jds1978
03-11-2006, 11:39 AM
i generally disable the chat bar....nothing kills my fun more than reading the moronic comments that some people have dialed in. There are some people who literally have messages "saved" on their chat bar so they can whip them out like B movie cliches at the "Right Moment" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

The B&Z crowd work for their kills

I agree with Jumo 1000%

Phas3e
03-11-2006, 11:43 AM
I agree with you one most counts.
Last week we had a all planes map as the new one we were testing was taken down for alterations,
So I decided to jump into me ol' faithfull J8A
and proceded to wade into swarms of KI-84Cs and 25Lb spits http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Although Landing again is a huge part of the game for me,
Even if I dont end up getting any kills I will potter around for half an hourand then head home.
My only parameter for success is a safe landing at the end.

LEBillfish
03-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Jumoschwanz:
So Uhclem, you are certainly some kind of d ouchebag, and we will be glad to see you take another long break from the community, so we do not have to listen to you whine about your time being wasted, and whine about how if anyone has fun in any other way than you do they don't measure up. Take a f*(&cking hike a s shole.
Jumoschwanz

pathetic......Swings, hit, good point beginning to be made, flutters abit due to the lack of vocabulary restraint yet still, going, going, going....Stike you're out. Funny how lack of control can turn something of value into a waste of time to have read it.......and show the true nature and intent of the poster.

Sometimes the best advice we ourselves could use we give others.........So when are you leaving Jumo?

DudeAbides82
03-11-2006, 12:55 PM
I have no problem with people using their planes advantages. There's always a way to beat them. Not that I know how, cause I still s*uck. I do know that if you compare it to sports, the smarter player can beat the better athlete.

As with plane choices, I play on hyperlobby and it seems like the only servers that have any people on them are Warclouds and Spits Vs 109's. It's the same plane choices all the time. Most of the time you don't even have to read the briefing because everyone just picks they're favorite spit or 109/190 and goes looking for someone to shoot down. Mission/Targets be dam*ed. To me, it's more fun to beat the other side in the mission rather than shoot down a few random, meaningless planes.

I'm still pretty noobish so I don't even know if it could be done or not.. but it would be nice to have some sort of server rules that limit the type of plane you can pick from depending on mission type and the amount of planes already in the mission. So if reds goal in the mission is to blow up blues tanks and it's nothing but spitfires flying, the next few guys that join should be forced to fly whatever attack plane is offered. Most guys who like "their" plane would hate that idea, but I think it would just make the sim and each mission more realistic/immersive.

Could anyone tell me if there are any other popular servers that are full real that I'm missing out on? One that might be busy at night in the EST time zone?

gthgrrl4game
03-11-2006, 02:37 PM
"Uber" planes can be fun. But flying the planes that most of those brave pilots flew is even more fun.
The Folgore, Veltro, Hien, Zero-sen, Hayabusa, Type 5(Ki-100),F6F, F3F and even the F2A are way more fun for me.
So as a Noob to PF online, what servers are least likely to have smack-talking buffoons in favor more relaxed folks that like the 'real stuff'?

Beirut
03-11-2006, 04:01 PM
When I was flying online I used to go up in an IL2-3M. The others guys would peck at me with their piddly machine guns, shoot right past, then I'd give a blast o'37mm in the rear. They'd disintegrate. Drove them nuts. Often I could take out three or four before they would gang up on me and take me out.

Some people were right on the verge of saying I was cheating.

Can't accuse me of going "uber" in an IL2 against a whack of 109s. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

leitmotiv
03-11-2006, 11:15 PM
The great thing about computers is that you can learn on your own without the having to deal with sometimes unpleasant human beings. Ditto with dueling. I am not interested in online play---if others like it, great. I enjoy setting up near suicidal scenarios on the QMB which really challenge me and brawling it out and triumphing or getting humiliated in obscurity. The computer lets you control your terms to an astounding degree. To suffer due to unhappiness with the protocols of online play is needless.

x6BL_Brando
03-12-2006, 03:47 AM
What I really want, is a company of bad asses. People who do bring knives to gunfights

One of the perils of using mixed metaphors is getting them right. People who bring "knives to gunfights" get shot. People who bring guns to knife-fights are the sensible ones http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

msalama
03-12-2006, 04:06 AM
As for me online? The Hurricane, the IL-2 and the F4F-4 is mostly what I fly. Of course I get my b*tt handed to me regularly, but so feekin' what? It's just a ruddy GAME we're talking about here fergadssakes!!!

OL wars are different, one has to fly whatever's thrown at one if one wants to participate...

SnapdLikeAMutha
03-12-2006, 09:06 AM
As an interesting aside to the 'knife to a gunfight' metaphor, I make a point of using only my knife when I play BF1942 online.

My stats end up being appalling but I don't mind because it's worth dying 8 times in a round just for that one glorious knife-kill

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

R988z
03-13-2006, 10:40 AM
I love taking the P-40 against late war stuff like La7s and 109Ks and all the other 'uber' planes, by god I work hard for my kills, but they are satisfying when you get them. I think my skill improves a lot more than it would normally as well. You don't learn to box by going to fight kids half your size, you find someone bigger and better so you have to improve or die. Nothing better than downing someone in an La7 who thinks they are invincible.

I took up some better planes the other day and it was all too easy and boring, back into the P-40 for me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. I find the P-39 is great against Me262 as well, the best part is, all the idiots think you're in a **** plane and swarm in after the 'easy' kill, boy do they get a shock sometimes... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

I disagree about landing after a kill though, I tend to have to use a fair bit of ammo to get some of my kills and with all the vultures hanging around the home base trying to pick off vunerable out of ammo birds, I like to make sure I land with a bit of ammo left if I can, nothing worse than some scumbag roaring in to take you out when your on final approach and you have nothing left to throw at them.

I even managed to take out a 109K at high alt, nose up, just before I stalled, unfortnately he wasn't dead or crippled as I thought, just smoking, and he came back and took out my engine, I managed to glide all the way back to base, twisting & turning to avoid his repeated attacks until he ran out of ammo or something, then had to dodge a vulcher trying to shoot another teammate on the runway as I landed, amazingly I made it in with a perfect, if hairy, landing. Even though I don't care much about points, it sure feels good to survive and prevent someone else getting any. I prefer to live to fight another day than fight to the death if possible, it feels fantastic to get a crippled bird home in one piece after a draining fight, even though I got no points or kills at all!

SnapdLikeAMutha
03-14-2006, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by R988z:
it feels fantastic to get a crippled bird home in one piece after a draining fight, even though I got no points or kills at all!

oh yeah!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif