PDA

View Full Version : OT: Brit drama - Foyle's War

sukebeboy
05-30-2006, 06:58 AM
They just released the first season on DVD here in Japan so I rented it and watched it over the weekend.

For those who don't know, it's about a British detective who reluctantly stays at his job during the early days of WWII. He's aided by a plucky young Women's Royal Army Corps ATS driver and a detective sergeant who joined up but lost a leg at Tronheim. The first season begins just after the fiasco in Norway and goes through until Eagle Day during the Battle of Britain.

The budget's a bit low. For example, the detective's son joins the RAF and we get to see him fly around in a Spit but it's the wrong model on the runways (later model with 20mm and grey and green mottled camo) but miraculously changes to an earlier model with brown/green cammo and no cammons once airborne. However, the stories are quite interesting in their attempts to show the fears and worries affecting the Brits during the dark, early days. Lots of talk about not learning their lesson from the first war, fears of invasion, upset over the bungling in Norway and France and the like.

I understand season 4 is now airing in the UK. Season 2 should be released here over the summer and season 3 later in the year.

bazzaah2
05-30-2006, 07:04 AM
My gf loves 'Foyle's war', but I think it's pants.

HotelBushranger
05-30-2006, 07:07 AM
I loved the episodes I saw.

sukebeboy
05-30-2006, 07:08 AM
I enjoy it for the period look but I do agree some of the episodes do seem a bit trite and paly to modern cliches and expectations about prejudice and corruption by those in power. Still, it's better than anything on Japanese TV (the took off the T&A and random panty flashing shows a few years back...)

Friendly_flyer
05-30-2006, 07:31 AM
Foyl's War has been on Norwegian TV every Easter for the last 4 years (Norwegians need their fix of crime at Easter, for some reason). I think the period feel is great, and the series is "delightfully British" for those that likes such. The acting is fully up to BBC standards, and there are aspects of the grim side of commoners, as when the mob torches an Italian restaurant in when Mussolini declares war. It's a great way of learning about the civilian aspects of WWII on the Western front.

bazzaah2
05-30-2006, 07:57 AM
it's alright in a snoozy Sunday night kind of way I suppose but must be a god send if you're in Japan!

I think the blonde is quite cute in a jolly hockey sticks kind of way. Rather!

sukebeboy
06-01-2006, 09:49 PM
Well, season two arrived early and I watched the first episode last night. Seems like they upped the budget which is good, but they still messed up on the planes.

They have the right make of Spits for the BoB, but they have Polish Squadron markings on them even though the story takes place prior to the Czechs and Poles getting their wings. Don't know why they just didn't film the planes from the right side and avoid showing the markings altogether.

Esquire_1
06-02-2006, 02:52 AM
I think the blonde is quite cute in a jolly hockey sticks kind of way. Rather!

Ha ha ... jolly hockey sticks kind of way ... I like that one .... reminds me of "The fameous five go mad on mescalin" ... nice one !

As for the drama ... never heard of it but if it ever makes it down to the other side of the earth ie. NZ (unlikely given they only seem to want to pay stuff all for reality programmes and cooking shows!!) I'll check it out.

Cheers Esq.

Fox_3
06-02-2006, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by sukebeboy:
Well, season two arrived early and I watched the first episode last night. Seems like they upped the budget which is good, but they still messed up on the planes.

They have the right make of Spits for the BoB, but they have Polish Squadron markings on them even though the story takes place prior to the Czechs and Poles getting their wings. Don't know why they just didn't film the planes from the right side and avoid showing the markings altogether.

It is a detective show, not a documentary on the RAF.

sukebeboy
06-02-2006, 03:47 AM
True enough but it seems that they made the effort to correct their mistake from the first series and find Spits appropriate to the era, why not go the extra step and at least provide the illusion that they have the correct markings. All it takes is a reposition of the camera.

WTE_Googly
06-02-2006, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by Esquire_1:

As for the drama ... never heard of it but if it ever makes it down to the other side of the earth ie. NZ (unlikely given they only seem to want to pay stuff all for reality programmes and cooking shows!!) I'll check it out.

Cheers Esq.

If you have sky I have seen it advertised on UKTV. Never watched it myself, so I am not sure if it is on at the moment, but these shows always come back on every couple of months.

Esquire_1
06-02-2006, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by WTE_Googly:

If you have sky I have seen it advertised on UKTV. Never watched it myself, so I am not sure if it is on at the moment, but these shows always come back on every couple of months.

Yeah ... Sky ... that'd be nice ... but unfortunately not on the current budget ... cie la vie! Cheers anyhow. Esq.

AWL_Spinner
06-02-2006, 04:28 AM
I love it, but then I'm a sucker for that sort of period thing. In many ways the Britain of the inter war years was a much better place than it is today and it's a pleasant, gentle, rose tinted reminder of all that was good about Blighty at the start of WWII.

Dunkelgrun
06-02-2006, 05:34 AM
Bit of a duff show really; there's loads of period-related errors in it and not only with Spits.

They've been driving through the countryside past fields of bright yellow oilseed rape which wasn't grown in the UK until the 60s or even 70s, and nobody was ever called Samantha until 'Bewitched' aired on UK TV. Girls of her age were all Bettys, Joans, Audreys, Pats etc.

Not my cup of tea anyway, but being able to nitpick all the way through an episode makes it even less appealing.

My 80-year old Mum likes it though (she told me about the Samantha thing) as it does remind her of how things were when she was growing up, so it can't be all bad.

Cheers!

F6_Ace
06-02-2006, 10:56 AM
My missus watches it and thinks it's alright. Then again, she thinks that shuffling twit Poirot makes for good viewing.

I've seen it a few times and I think it's alright, too. As is typical of most British programmes, it does portray a darker, downbeat side to proceedings.