PDA

View Full Version : dual monitors for PF Help?

Comswim
12-29-2004, 04:25 PM
So I want to hook up a 2nd monitor for PF but I am not really sure what to do when I get it hooked up. (which I have done so already.) My goal is to maybe put a different view on the second monitor or a map. Any help would be great.

Cheers
Boxer

Comswim
12-29-2004, 04:25 PM
So I want to hook up a 2nd monitor for PF but I am not really sure what to do when I get it hooked up. (which I have done so already.) My goal is to maybe put a different view on the second monitor or a map. Any help would be great.

Cheers
Boxer

visible_damage
12-29-2004, 04:32 PM
this can be done on flight simulator as it supports it, do you have multiple monitors with fs9 already ? there are forums that give info on setting up dual monitors for fs9 dunno if pacific fighters supports it tho, maybe one of the "brainier" guys on here knows as it's not something I know about for pacific fighters. I can give info for fs9, maybe some of the info will be of help for pacific fighters. This is also something that would be of interest to me.

Comswim
12-29-2004, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the info. I look forward to hearing from everyone on this. Also does anyone know how to disable the sleep on a monitor. my second monitor keeps going to sleep and I cant seem to wake it back up. (man that sounds wierd). http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

visible_damage
12-29-2004, 04:42 PM
Dunno about the sleep on the monitor, buy it an alarm clock, or stop playing pacific fighters until silly o'clock in the morning !!!! look here for some info on dual monitor set up in Flight Simulator http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/dcforum/DCForumID29/666.html also try doing a search on dual monitor on avsim and some of the other well known flight sim sites on the net. it's not pacific fighter related but knowledge is power as they say

visible_damage
12-29-2004, 04:44 PM
try this one too http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040216/dual_displya-10.html

georgeo76
12-29-2004, 05:19 PM
for FB, two monitors won't do you much good. The only way the game supports dual monitors is by adjusting the rez to span both. Problem w/ that is that your gunsight is divided between the two screens and that should make things interesting for aiming.

Troll2k
12-29-2004, 06:37 PM
The IL2 series does not support multiple views.
You can have 3 monitors hooked up but your one view spans all three.

TPN_Cephas
12-29-2004, 06:48 PM
If you want to try it be sure to set the following settings in your config.ini and manually set the res to whatever you want

width=2000
height=700

EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=0
Use3Renders=0

You can play in a window so you can make the screen smaller than the width of both monitors, say 2000 pixels wide on 2 1280x1024 monitors, then move the window all the way to the right or left and the gunsight will not be centered on the screeen split. With a pair of lcd's using very this edges the split is not too annoying. It would be awesome if ati or nvidia cards had 3 video out ports so the middle would be centered.

http://home.comcast.net/~pmcgwire/7.jpg

jdknox
09-05-2005, 11:22 PM
The view could be rotated with the mouse so that one monitor showed the crosshairs and the other monitor showed either the left or right wing. While not nearly as exciting as having three monitors, this would at least let you see out one side of the cockpit.

WOLFMondo
09-06-2005, 05:40 AM
It would be nice if I could have one window is the normal view and the other monitor as the instrument panel.

ashley2005
09-06-2005, 09:57 AM
are you sure ..when i went to waddington 2004 belgian virtual tigers were there playing il2 and stuff they had multiple monitors and i think they had 1 view in cockpit and one view o nthe other monitor as outside view o_O

JunkoIfurita
09-06-2005, 07:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">are you sure ..when i went to waddington 2004 belgian virtual tigers were there playing il2 and stuff they had multiple monitors and i think they had 1 view in cockpit and one view o nthe other monitor as outside view o_O </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was probably a network game with externals turned on. The other monitor was hooked up to a second computer, which had joined the network game and then been 'Shift+F2' until the outside view was showing the plane being flown on the primary computer. Good for a demonstration, but not really feasible for most of us http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

----

ashley2005
09-06-2005, 07:34 PM
that was it they were networked lol :P

JunkoIfurita
09-06-2005, 07:34 PM
As far as multiple views go - everyone's right, you can only stretch the resolution across the multiple monitors.

This basically means you can use a Matrox Parhelia card (3 monitor outputs), set 3 monitors up side by side (around your head), then stretch the resolution across them. You 'zoom out' to the maximum field of view, so that the outside monitors are actually showing over the wings, and the middle monitor shows the centre with gunsight at a decent size.

However - what's the point? You've spent $1500 or so on all the equipment, and the field of view is only half decent if until you move your view to look around, then it just looks WEIRD.

Do yourself a favour, and simply spend the money you might on that ONE extra monitor on a TrackIR 3 Pro w/ Vector Expansion - http://www.naturalpoint.com

Once you get used to using a head tracking system to look around, the small field of view you have with a single monitor will seem infinite. And your Situational Awareness will go up hundred-fold.

----

Franzonto
09-06-2005, 09:32 PM
I too have two monitors on my PC; I followed TPN_Cephas instructions, but the program just won't start anymore.. I tried a few combinations of settings, but not knowing anything about their meaning, it had to fail..

Are there maybe some conditions that the monitor settings should fulfil? (They're both at 1024x1280, and I set the resolution as 864x2304).
Also, when in window-mode, I cant get outside of the window to drag it around... is that normal too?

Or could there even be a guide to this out there already? I sure didn't find anything with google..

I'd really love to try this out!

jdknox
09-06-2005, 10:35 PM
I'll have to agree with JunkoIfurita. After finally figuring out how to set up dual monitors and millions of tests with such a setup I am going to get thr TrakIR from naturalpoint.com

I had a theory that I could span the display across two monitors and then use the mouse to center the crosshairs on one monitor whilst having one of the wings in the other monitor. It didn't work because the view was cropped incorrectly at the crazy wide resolution (6:3 or some similar aspect as opposed to the standard 4:3). I could see out the front in an almost acceptable manner, but the wing monitor showed only a slightly-to-the-left of the windshield view, with the wing not even remotely visible. The FOV was all wrong, even at the widest setting. The only support for multiple monitors that is built in is for the Matrox card, and that setting is automatically turned OFF by the game if the Parhelia is not present.

I would like to comment, however, that I tried to make the aspect something like 1:2, actually around 1280x1600 I think, and I stacked two monitors on top of each other as suggested on another thread. This allowed me to view the instruments on the lower monitor and an actually vertically expanded view forward on the top monitor which was pretty nice in my opinion. I believe this to be the only reason I would continue to use dual monitors in FB. Except of course for the 5 or so FPS my stupid laptop video card achieved with the 2 million or so pixels to render even at the lowest possible graphics settings. Obviously 800x1200 or lower would be a much more practical but uglier setting.

WWSensei
09-06-2005, 11:07 PM
I hooked a second monitor up. That's where I display my TeamSpeak screen, a JPG image of the map of the area I'm operating in, and a notepad window with my flight orders etc...second monitor may not be supported by the game but doesn't mean it can't be helpful...

Waldo.Pepper
09-07-2005, 12:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I hooked a second monitor up. That's where I display my TeamSpeak screen, a JPG image of the map of the area I'm operating in, and a notepad window with my flight orders etc...second monitor may not be supported by the game but doesn't mean it can't be helpful... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember reading somewhere on these forums that running a second monitor will reduce frame rates by a marginal amount.

I think you are on the right track but I think a still better solution is to run all these secondary program on an entirely different computer altogether. Teamspeak, map etc. That way your gaming computer will only be running the game, track IR, and the software for your game controllers etc.

WWSensei
09-07-2005, 05:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I hooked a second monitor up. That's where I display my TeamSpeak screen, a JPG image of the map of the area I'm operating in, and a notepad window with my flight orders etc...second monitor may not be supported by the game but doesn't mean it can't be helpful... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember reading somewhere on these forums that running a second monitor will reduce frame rates by a marginal amount.

I think you are on the right track but I think a still better solution is to run all these secondary program on an entirely different computer altogether. Teamspeak, map etc. That way your gaming computer will only be running the game, track IR, and the software for your game controllers etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

$500+ more for a second computer or $100 for a second monitor, hmmmmmm. I'll go for the second monitor.

Frame rate hit is, at most, maybe 1 FPS at peak. "Marginal amount" isn't a diminutive enough word to describe the hit. I fly at 1280x960x32, 6X Temporal AA, 16x Ansio in Pefect mode and maintain 40-60 fps. If adding a second monitor drags your video card framerates down the solution is get a better video card...not a second computer.

Dexmeister
09-07-2005, 08:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JunkoIfurita:
This basically means you can use a Matrox Parhelia card (3 monitor outputs), set 3 monitors up side by side (around your head), then stretch the resolution across them. You 'zoom out' to the maximum field of view, so that the outside monitors are actually showing over the wings, and the middle monitor shows the centre with gunsight at a decent size.

However - what's the point? You've spent $1500 or so on all the equipment, and the field of view is only half decent if until you move your view to look around, then it just looks WEIRD.

Do yourself a favour, and simply spend the money you might on that ONE extra monitor on a TrackIR 3 Pro w/ Vector Expansion - http://www.naturalpoint.com

---- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not true. I have the Parhelia and trackIR, and my entire peripheral vision is enveloped. It's crazy, but realistic, be sure.

That is until 4.01m when they porked the fov again...

That said, 3 monitors for flight sims is far more realistic than you'd imagine. It's even better than playing on one screen using a projector.