PDA

View Full Version : .bmp as an skin of planes, why?

Jjeeqq
04-15-2006, 02:16 AM
i just looked in skins folder and it gets 560mb... reason i did find that every plane skin gets that 1mb, why we use .bmp and not .tga or jpg?

krmichal
04-15-2006, 02:29 AM
Why not JPEG? It is rather obvious - graphics compressed in this way lose quality. I'd rather not see any "artifacts" on the plane http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

But of course we have many lossless formats (very nice and free PNG for example). Only problem is, that someone has to write code for IL2FB to support this format...

StG2_Schlachter
04-15-2006, 02:35 AM
The interpolation of JPEGs needs CPU time, if only a little. Maybe it is also because of performance.

FritzGryphon
04-15-2006, 03:56 AM
I remember Oleg saying that, to use JPEG images in a game, they have to pay someone for a license.

As for TGAs, they are used for the original skins, and they contain the opacity map in the alpha channel. They're no smaller than BMPs, I don't think.

Brain32
04-15-2006, 04:12 AM
Targa images are not smaller, JPG (beside that license issue I was unaware of) do really require CPU time due to their compression so I think .BMP was actually a good soulution.

VW-IceFire
04-15-2006, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Jjeeqq:
i just looked in skins folder and it gets 560mb... reason i did find that every plane skin gets that 1mb, why we use .bmp and not .tga or jpg?
TGA's are bigger and essentially lossless in terms of file formats. JPEG's require processing time to manage the file so that it can be displayed...BMP, PCX, and several other bitmap formats are typical for game textures.

LEBillfish
04-15-2006, 08:26 AM
Actually the 1mb/1024x1024 or whatever the size is is NOT what is suggested for online play....Sure it looks great, yet it bogs down the pipe and your PC to gather and place all the info I guess......

It has ALWAYS been suggested to reduce the size to 512x512......Naturally then the file size drops as well dramatically (perhaps to 1/4?)....Is the quality reduced?....yes....However unless you're really zooming in with externals or taking screenshots it doesn't matter.