PDA

View Full Version : SAitek Pro Flight Rudder pedals - first expierence by myself

Lehnert
09-27-2006, 04:04 AM
Hi all pilots,

I got my new Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals !!

And at least I can say: Great Rudder Pedals !!
A absolutly new and very good feeling in flight and start and and and !!!!

You do not crush your nuts using the pedals.
You have now pedal brakes too.

But I think you must fix the pedals at the ground with the included holes (and a piece of wood and screws from yourself) or the included strips - otherwise they are "walking" after a few minutes in use over your floor....

If the installation work well of the Software at the included CD V1.0 o your PC ....

At first this software deinstall your other Saitek Controllers and you have to reinstall one afte one again.

My harmful expierence:

If you have a Saitek PC Dash 2 and Windows 2000 PRO running on your PC - be carefully !!

Deinstall all your Windows SAitek Nt Drivers and
then look for the files SaiHidNt.sys and delete them all.

Use this points one after one:

Install PC Dash2 drivers only - not the SST-Software for the Dash2.

The same with X-52. Use the newest drivers you get form SAitek Download-page für X-52 and the 0255-Section there.

Then install from the Pedal CD the pedals and at least after the necessary restarts from your PC the SSt-Software from the new CD.

Do not forget to update your HOTAS inside at Forgotten Battles!!

Do not wonder about my bad english.

But I must tell you that the SAitek Rudder pedals are very well for Flightsimmers.

Greetings from Munic (GErmany - where the Octoberfest is still running)
Gerhard

Breeze147
09-27-2006, 06:36 AM
Wunderbar! Pass the beer!

kit_lg2002
09-27-2006, 06:42 AM
Where can i see something about the pedals, i searched on www.saitek.com (http://www.saitek.com) and i didn't find the pedals, just joysticks, weels, mice and other stuff.

Ok found allready, was to stupid to google it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Lehnert
09-27-2006, 07:03 AM
Hi kit_lg2002,

look here for some more pictures I think

http://forums-de.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/388104122/m/6591045974

Langsam gefallen mir die Dinger....

Greetings
GErhard

Stoyanov
09-27-2006, 08:38 AM
Saitek pedals are available in Europe? I though that in the moment u can buy them only in the states....

Lehnert
09-27-2006, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Stoyanov:
Saitek pedals are available in Europe? I though that in the moment u can buy them only in the states....

Yes - I bought it in GErmany without any problems at an Online-Shop.

They have it in stock at 20th september 2006.

Greetings
GErhard

Stoyanov
09-27-2006, 09:04 AM
Great! Can't wait to get my hands on them!

El Turo
09-27-2006, 09:10 AM
Not to be a jerk, but those things look REALLY flimsy, like they won't last more than 6 months of constant use.

Hope they work well for ya, though!

NonWonderDog
09-27-2006, 09:37 AM
They still look like high-impact vinyl to me, not flimsy at all. I'm thinking of ordering a pair if I end up with some extra cash.

OMK_Hand
09-27-2006, 01:20 PM
Hi Lehnert.
I too just recieved a set of Saitek pedals, and I'm having to practise basics over and over in order to train my limbs and brain to work together. I just twist that stick without thinking. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Are you having problems? I cannot get the hang of toe-brakes.
I'm finding co-ordinating 'pointing-the-toes-whilst-moving-the-legs-around' very hard.

The pedals installation software took care of my previous X52 installation, but I backed up the profiles I'd made, just in case (they weren't affected).

They are relatively inexpensive, and it's all a bit like buying a washing machine, or a bunch of XLR leads. Not at all exciting, but useful.

Ernst_Rohr
09-28-2006, 10:00 AM
I have a set of the Saitek pedals as well, and I have been very pleased with them.

As mentioned, you do need to fix them to the ground or they will walk on you, but they provide for bolting them down, and they have velcro strips that come with them as well.

They are definately NOT flimsy. The are pretty solidly built and have a good solid spring as well.

Getting used to steering with your feet takes some getting used to after flying with a twist stick, but gets to be second nature after a while.

Lehnert
09-30-2006, 07:49 AM
Hi OMK_Hand,
refering to your post I have some question to you.
At first - I have no problems to use the toe brakes in coordination to the rudder.

But I have a lot problems to use the rudder at combat flight.
When and how do I use the rudder in which kind?
For what flight manover it is useful to flight with the pedals ??

How do you practise to use the rudder pedals getting "I twist that stick without thinking"
with witch Missions or campaigns or do only start and landing exercises or only attack ground targets ??

Looking at all of my *.trk and *.ntrk collection
(only the dogfigths) I never see any use of the rudder in combat - looking at the KI-Planes it the same - nothig to see the ruder in action !!!

Greetings from Munic (Germany)
Gerhard

Originally posted by El Turo:
Not to be a jerk, but those things look REALLY flimsy, like they won't last more than 6 months of constant use.

Hope they work well for ya, though!

trumper
09-30-2006, 10:38 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Keep practicing it will come to you in the end ,you wont be able to fly without them after you get used to them.
I went from a twist stick to an X45 separate throttle and joystick and rudder pedals in short succession,blimey that was a learning curve LOL http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

OMK_Hand
09-30-2006, 02:04 PM
Well, I don't know...
Maybe it's the case that the heat of combat is a fast moving mix of sometimes controlled management, sometimes un-controlled, crisis management. The engine has moments of wild stress, and the airframe has moments of wild stress.

Co-ordinated flight in a fight is possibly a matter of opportunity. At least it is for me. It's o.K. when you have a second to think about it. Generally hard to achieve when we aren't able to feel the movement of the aeroplane.
Unco-ordinated flight is good in a fight from a defensive point of view, however, if you're in a position to shoot then co-ordination is beneficial.

If you're trimmed for combat conditions, then possibly rudder then becomes a tool rather than a neccessity. Trimming for combat power before combat is important.
Using rudder in combat is often, I find, down to the current situation and the clarity of one's mind. For instance, in a 90 degree wings-vertical combat turn, if you want the nose to stay high, apply opposite rudder (e.g. left turn, right rudder), or use left rudder to pull the nose around in a co-ordinated, maybe tighter turn, or use the rudder to introduce oscillations if someone is behind you.

Al Deere writes of using opposite rudder-to-aileron as an evasion technique, whilst running away from bandits across the English channel. e.g. left aileron, full right rudder, then right aileron and full left rudder, trying to maintain course whilst presenting a wildly jinking target (the 2 me109's broke off when they were close to the English coast.)
I used this for the first time online ages ago, and was promptly accused of cheating. Doh.

The rudder is the tool of choice for pulling the gun sight onto a target, when it's left or right of the bulls eye.

I'm now practising taxiing, taking off, aerobatics, circuits, and landings using the pedals for co-ordinated manoeuvres by hosting a server off-line, so I have all aircraft available, and start on the ground.
I practise combat in the quick mission builder, sometimes using friends for targets, sometimes against enemies.

It's just strange after using a twist-stick for so long. Fun though.
I wonder if I'll be a better dancer after this?

Lehnert
10-01-2006, 04:54 AM
Hi OMK-handsome,

thank you very much for your very helpful and detailed answer !!!
Now I am go on practising and hope I will get the feeling for the pedals like you.

Happy flights for you now and in the future and

greetings
Gerhard

rollkilla
06-13-2007, 07:23 PM
Ok well I'm helping my old teacher with the simulator in the class room(Air Force ROTC) and he got just about all the newest things and best for FSX. He got the saitek pedals recently and for some reason the toe brakes were set to the X and Y axis. so I turned them off of that because they were controlling the yoke rather than the real yoke or joystick. When I go to assign buttons, it has "button one"(trigger) as the toe brakes; but I don't want that to be the brakes. With or without the trigger set as the toe brakes, the actual toe brakes still don't work. when I try to assign them to brake they aren't acknowledged as a button so they won't come up. So is there anyway I can set them to brake?

BirdieNum-nums
06-14-2007, 09:55 AM
I bought the Saitek pedals in January, and they're the single best thing I've ever bought to compliment this simulation. The design is good and functional. Mine are on the floor and against the wall, so they can't slide around (I have hardwood floors). It will take you a week or 2 for your brain to unlearn the twisty-joystick action and learn proper rudder foot pedal technique but the rewards will be tenfold. You won't believe it can be this good.

Make the move, you won't regret it. And yes, your kills will go up. Mine did. But more importantly, it just feels so much better. Like, WAAAAAYYYYY better.

cheers,
Birdie Num-nums

CarpeNoctem43
06-14-2007, 12:30 PM
I've had the same said pedals since late january.

Securing them to the carpet wasn't too bad, but I needed extra velcro as the supplied amount didn't provide enough traction on my carpet.

At first, I didn't like the center detent as you have to apply considerable force to get it off center At 100% force inputs across the board, doing this would slip and skid the plane. After a while, I either got accustomed to it, or the detent has worn down it is no longer an issue.

Good luck with your gear!

-Raven

ytareh
06-15-2007, 10:16 AM
I tried CH rudder pedals and a stonking Cougar HOTAS recently only to be horrified at the rotten feel of both.Maybe if I had gritted my teeth for a few weeks/months/years(!)more.I might have gotten used to them.But for me this is a 'game' and meant to be 'fun'.I stuck with them for maybe a week (of misery).I have only just joined a squadron and didnt fancy being put back a year(?) in my flying ability.I flew a few missions online and was useless,hopeless...
Thankfully I took what I think was the sensible decision and went back to my beloved cheap twist grip Logitech Extreme 3d Pro .Beware guys the expensive 'pro' gear isnt always the path to enlightment!