PDA

View Full Version : Early P-40s in game

Bremspropeller
02-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Okay, can anybody help me to get some light into the different variants of the five early P-40s, we have?

We got:

- the Hawk 82
- P-40B
- P-40C
- Tomahawk IIa
- Tomahawk IIb

It is evident that the C and IIb have the ability to carry ordnance and droptanks.

But is there any variation in performance (C and IIb seem to perform less well in comparison to B and IIa) between these models.

Also, is there any difference in armament?

THIA.

VW-IceFire
02-19-2007, 03:43 PM
In theory the Tomahawk II's have .303 machine guns in the wings instead of .30's on the B/C/Hawk82 model.

Bremspropeller
02-19-2007, 03:54 PM
Do they all have fifties on the nose?

flox
02-19-2007, 04:00 PM
I think they all have .303s in the wings and .50s in the nose. I believe the IIa and IIc are just the british variants of the B and C. I think the Hawk 82 was just a B model for the lend-lease program or something similar.

NekoReaperman
02-19-2007, 04:08 PM
I have heard somewhere that the Hawk81 is sort of a "blend" between B and C, but dont take that as a fact...

Marcel_Albert
02-19-2007, 04:17 PM

Yea , they're all the same more or less in performances ingame .

And all with that annoying engine damage that get the engine disabled after just one MG hit while in real life , various accounts i've read don't report that , but perhaps i didn't read enough http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

XyZspineZyX
02-19-2007, 05:43 PM
Through my extensive use/questioning/research into early variants of the P-40 in the sim and in real life, I have learned the following:

The H81A-2 was added as very close to an afterthought. In my experience (up to 4.04m) the P-40B and the H81A-2 are identical in this sim. The difference being that the H81A-2 is represented by the 'Flying Tigers' when the USAAF is chosen

Obviously, the P-40C can carry bombs and external fuel

According to Eriksen Shilling, an AVG pilot, the H75 (P-36) and H81 (P-40) vary by the obvious engine differences, plus a cuff on the P-40's wing root that the P-36 did not have, which eased a problem with snap rooll. In the sim, there is no triuble snap-rolling a P-40B or H81A-2. In real life, Erik Shilling reported that he tried hard, in 1941, to snap-roll the AVG's aircraft, and could not

Also in variance from real life is the rudder input needed in a dive. Real P-40 pilots STOOD on the rudder in a dive. The joke back then was that you could ID a P-40 pilot by his legs- one was much more muscular than the other

It is interesting to note that in AVG aircraft in 1941, a gunsight just like that in the H81A-2 we have was reported, and is in photos- it hangs from the pilot's grab-bar.

Well near as I can tell, this is unique to AVG aircraft

Ground crewman Charlie Mott actually made his own reflector gunsight, using the armored glass as the reflector. he and his fellows hand-etched the reticles on the glass, to accomodate Japanese aircraft's wingspan. it was done with a lamp, and a needle. A double image was the result, and he solved this with a thin layer of oil on the projector glass!

AVG aircraft actually were NOT H81A-2. Curtiss assigned them the number "H81-A3" or H81A-3" depending on who tells the story. These aircraft had the RAF two gun wing, with externally sealed fuel tanks, which had previosult been rejecyed by the RAF. When the purchase order was swapped to China, Curtiss, in typical fashion, used the tanks the RAF rejected, and saved money and time

Also, the AVG got planes without things such as flight computers (slide rule like devices), and military radios. the AVG also had a mix of wing guns. Radios were civilian models and not very robust, while wing guns were come as they may. Luckily, ammo wasn't an issue

If you read the pilot's notes for the plane, Shilling also points out subtle differences in other equipment, notably engines

Some AVG planes (maybe as many as 50) had hand-fit engines that delivered enough hp to rival the Zero's power to weight ratio for short periods. Shilling himself notes a power setting he used and noted as delivering in excess of 1700 hp. Claims of 370 mph in level flight corrected for height and temp do not seem fanciful in light of this

It is intersting to note that in 1941, a "P-40" meant a P-40B or C. there was no such thing as a P-40A

the tenth H75 was re-fited with an inline engine to make the prototype P-40

Sorry for bad speeling or typos, I'm quite drunk

XyZspineZyX
02-19-2007, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by NekoReaperman:
I have heard somewhere that the Hawk81 is sort of a "blend" between B and C, but dont take that as a fact...
It's simply the export variant of the Curtiss P-40 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Marcel_Albert
02-19-2007, 06:44 PM
Good informative post BBB cid , interesting , thank you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Hrdina
02-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Marcel_Albert:
Good informative post BBB cid , interesting , thank you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Agreed! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

MEGILE
02-20-2007, 10:58 AM

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif

R988z
02-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Some AVG planes (maybe as many as 50) had hand-fit engines that delivered enough hp to rival the Zero's power to weight ratio for short periods. Shilling himself notes a power setting he used and noted as delivering in excess of 1700 hp. Claims of 370 mph in level flight corrected for height and temp do not seem fanciful in light of this

I demand to have these in game! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Xiolablu3
02-20-2007, 02:47 PM
The Brits always named their planes, whereas the Americans sometimes just gave them a number.

US - British

P51 - Mustang
P40 - Hawk (Varous, Warhawk, KittyHawk etc)

As for the rest, I am not sure whether the Brits named the Lightning, Thunderbolt, Airacobra etc. I assume both numbers and names were used in the US for these.

The KittyHawk and Warhawk are names for the various P40 versions in British service.

XyZspineZyX
02-20-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
The Brits always named their planes, whereas the Americans sometimes just gave them a number.

US - British

P51 - Mustang
P40 - Hawk (Varous, Warhawk, KittyHawk etc)

As for the rest, I am not sure whether the Brits named the Lightning, Thunderbolt, Airacobra etc. I assume both numbers and names were used in the US for these.

The KittyHawk and Warhawk are names for the various P40 versions in British service.

P-36= Mohawk (RAF)
P-40B, C= Tomahawk (RAF)
P-40D= Kittyhawk I (RAF)
P-40E= Warhawk (USA/RAF)
P-40F= Warhawk (USA), Kittyhawk II(RAF )(Merlin engined)
P-40K= Kittyhawk III (RAF)
P-40L= Kittyhawk III (RAF)
P-40M= Kittyhawk III (RAF)
P-40N= Kittyhawk IV (RAF)

Yes I know it makes little sense

Bell defintely named their planes "Airacuda", "Airacobra", etc. In the case of the P-47, I'm fairly sure the RAF had nothing to do with it. Seversky could well have neamed the aircraft. Most planes were known by project number, but some got nicknnamed, like the Fisher 'Eagle', Grumman 'Wildcat' (Martlet in Brit service I think), L-4 'Grasshopper', Republic 'Lancer', Northrop 'Black Widow'. But the official name was not "Wildcat", it was F4F, it wasn't "Lancer", it was P-43

It's important to remember that Brit service craft typically had official names like "Hurricane", associated with a project number, while US service planes had official names like "P-38", but nicknames like "Lightning". The systems were more or les reversed

Bremspropeller
02-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Which Kittyhwak/Warhawk was the one with the dorsal fin that blends into the vertical stabilator?

XyZspineZyX
02-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Bremspropeller:
Which Kittyhwak/Warhawk was the one with the dorsal fin that blends into the vertical stabilator?

I'll have to look at my reference on that...could be a mid-model change...seems to be Kittyhawk Mk III, but that could be three seperate variants