PDA

View Full Version : Art of Learning Academy Bugs

andrewaclt
11-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Does anybody else have serious issue with watching Waitzkin v. Arnett? The whole game seems disconnected and it's hard to follow when selecting the best move...the screens jump around and the audio doesn't always finish...

angus119
11-07-2007, 04:16 AM
i met with the same problem. it's obviously a bug, i think. imo, the quality of the new "art of learning academy" is not as good as the old tutorials (in term of flow and control...) and maybe some of the games are just taken from the "fun games" sections and added in more comments.

willy_297
11-07-2007, 03:19 PM
For me the bug is in the next match versus sarwer.
I have the french version.

Hobbes
11-11-2007, 05:07 AM
Yeah, I've also experienced a number of issues with the new 'Art of Learning' section. I'm running CMXI (UK) on Windows XP 64-bit - don't know if x64 makes any difference at all to the x86 alternatives. I have only used v1.1.0, as the patch was automatically installed via the in-game autoupdate.

There are numerous issues with the first game in this tutorial (vs. Dave Arnett) - at least 4 or 5 moderately significant ones. For me, the second game (vs. Jeff Sawrer) was mostly fine, with one conspicuous (although relatively minor) issue towards the end (in the early 100's, of the 111 page tutorial).

I'm happy to list all of the above issues individually if they are of use to someone who works on the patches/updates for the game - but can anyone verify if the developers read these pages, or indeed if such information would be of any use ..?

Thanks in advance. ^_^

andrewaclt
11-11-2007, 08:59 AM
I'm running CMXI (US) on Intel Core 2 Duo, which is 64bit compatible, but I'm only running 32 bit windows on it. I am also running the v1.1 patch.

Hobbes: There are several posters on the forum that claim to be developers, and are very knowledgeable about the game itself, although I personally cannot verify that they are actual developers, it couldn't hurt to post all the issues, however.

taraboste
11-12-2007, 03:45 AM
ONCE:
The 64 bits chess engine will run only if your operating system is 64 bits also! So, it is not enough to have a 64 bits processor.
SECOND:
Tell us all bugs you encountered. We'll try to fix it on the next second patch.

CheckingTurtle
11-18-2007, 04:16 AM
Hello,

I collected some errors/oddities concerning that new academy tutorial "Art of Learning" and I'll post them here. Maybe it helps making that new tutorial even better.

All that with version 1.1.0 of CM Grandmaster Edition.

Here is the list so far:
Waitzkin vs Dave Arnett
(Page 12 of 36)
Pawn on e7 isn't reset after demonstrating move Bc4xf7+
(Page 32 of 36)
Josh can't complete the last sentence. Tutorial moves on to page 33 and breaks in on Josh at "he can maint..."

Waitzkin vs Jeff Sarwer
Maybe the board should be flipped by default so that the black pieces are at the bottom to see the game with Joshs eyes.
(Page 17 of 111)
Josh is saying more than written in text box. Abnormal pause in speech.
(Page 20 of 111)
Was it intended to let the user make a move here between "... you see mate in 1, right?" and "Good move..."?
(Page 43 of 111)
No or very small pause between Josh saying "What would you do?" and "Here White's position is better."
In the text there is a blank missing between these two sentences.
(Page 48 of 111)
Seems to repeat contents of page 47 in some way!?
(Page 102 of 111)
Bad synchonization between speech and showing that on the board.
(Page 103 of 111)
Tutorial jumps to page 104 ("Ok you didn't see it") even if I found the right square.

CheckingTurtle

CheckingTurtle
11-18-2007, 02:04 PM
Waitzkin vs Michael Granne
(Page 2 of 24)
Showing the pieces Josh is speaking about on the board is too fast. This square highlighting is visible just for a half second and not synchron with the speech.

Waitzkin vs Eric Budish
(page 27 of 66)
Text says: "Black to move, what would you do here?", but Josh doesn't say it and the tutorial doesn't give the option to move a piece. You can just click "Next".
(page 63 of 66)
Situation on the board isn't what Josh and the text is saying.

Other errors:
For example: Copy the board position at page 15 of 24 (Waitzkin vs Michael Granne) as "Forsythe board position" and then go to "Main Menu" (Start Screen) and select "Set up position". Click Cancel on that child window and paste the board position to the game.
Now it isn't possible to analyse the position in any way. The "Advice" (60s) doesn't work and "mentor lines" also doesn't bring any results. Analyse or Mentor Lines seems to work only for one side.

illiliilililili
01-13-2008, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by CheckingTurtle:
Hello,

I collectNobody caresed some errors/oddities concerning that new academy tutorial "Art of Learning" and I'll post them here. Maybe it helps making that new tutorial even better.

All that with version 1.1.0 of CM Grandmaster Edition.

Here is the list so far:
Waitzkin vs Dave Arnett
(Page 12 of 36)
Pawn on e7 isn't reset after demonstrating move Bc4xf7+
(Page 32 of 36)
Josh can't complete the last sentence. Tutorial moves on to page 33 and breaks in on Josh at "he can maint..."

Waitzkin vs Jeff Sarwer
Maybe the board should be flipped by default so that the black pieces are at the bottom to see the game with Joshs eyes.
(Page 17 of 111)
Josh is saying more than written in text box. Abnormal pause in speech.
(Page 20 of 111)
Was it intended to let the user make a move here between "... you see mate in 1, right?" and "Good move..."?
(Page 43 of 111)
No or very small pause between Josh saying "What would you do?" and "Here White's position is better."
In the text there is a blank missing between these two sentences.
(Page 48 of 111)
Seems to repeat contents of page 47 in some way!?
(Page 102 of 111)
Bad synchonization between speech and showing that on the board.
(Page 103 of 111)
Tutorial jumps to page 104 ("Ok you didn't see it") even if I found the right square.

CheckingTurtle