PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is the refresh rate anyhow?

Mon Pavion
03-13-2005, 08:55 PM
What does the refresh rate on your vid card do?

JG27_Arklight
03-13-2005, 08:59 PM
The number of times the computer screen is painted. E.g. refresh rate = 60 = the screen is painted 60 times a second.

Mon Pavion
03-13-2005, 09:00 PM
So what do you want to set it at?

JG27_Arklight
03-13-2005, 09:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheGeneral_D:
So what do you want to set it at? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is your screen resolution set at?

Mon Pavion
03-13-2005, 09:03 PM
1024 X 768

Masterjts
03-13-2005, 09:11 PM
You want to set it over 70. Anything under 70 and your peripheral vision can pick up the refresh rate and you can develop a headache and or nausea.

Just make sure that your monitor can support the rate that you set it to. You can damage your monitor with an incorrect setting.

Mon Pavion
03-13-2005, 09:15 PM
My monitor supports up to 75 i think, so ill set it and leave it at that.

Thanks for the help fellas

JG27_Arklight
03-13-2005, 09:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheGeneral_D:
My monitor supports up to 75 i think, so ill set it and leave it at that.

Thanks for the help fellas <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the monitor refresh rate screen, check the box that says "don't show refresh rates not supported" (or something to that effect).

If you are running at 1024x768 you should set the refresh rate to 100 (or higher, but I leave mine at 100 with that resolution). Set it to that if possible after you check that box. If 100 and above isn't there after checking that box then choose the highest refresh rate supported.

Firedragon1717
03-13-2005, 09:35 PM
Setting your refresh rate to the highest isnt the best idea...refresh rates and monitors aren't a matter of bigger is better, while it may look better you are burning your monitor faster and on some settings you may burn it out incredibly fast.

JG27_Arklight
03-13-2005, 09:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Firedragon1717:
Setting your refresh rate to the highest isnt the best idea...refresh rates and monitors aren't a matter of bigger is better, while it may look better you are burning your monitor faster and on some settings you may burn it out incredibly fast. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is when your resolution is 1024x768 and your monitor refresh rate doesn't go over 100.

Just like I said.

lol

blue_76
03-13-2005, 09:37 PM
yes, higher refresh rates put more stress on your monitor.. so its important to find the right balance... usually 75hz is optimal for most monitors..

JG27_Arklight
03-13-2005, 09:38 PM
A refrsh rate of 100 on a monitor that supports it at a resolution of 1024x768 will not damage your monitor.

Firedragon1717
03-13-2005, 09:41 PM
Hmm ok but don't come crying when the monitor explodes and the electron beam cooks you in your seat http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

JG27_Arklight
03-13-2005, 09:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Firedragon1717:
Hmm ok but don't come crying when the monitor explodes and the electron beam cooks you in your seat http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol

blue_76
03-13-2005, 09:43 PM
well it depends on your eyes.. most people are comfortable at about 75hz..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What is the best refresh rate?
An optimum refresh rate is a highly-individualized setting. The best refresh rate for a particular user depends on what the individual sees on the screen. Some users don't notice flicker at 70Hz, while some people claim they can actually see the screen redraw itself at this level. However, according to user studies, 70Hz has been indicated as the point at which most people stop seeing flicker. 70Hz is also the best starting point when trying to eliminate flicker for a particular user. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.necmitsubishi.com/support/css/Techlibrary/refresh_rates.htm

blue_76
03-13-2005, 09:47 PM
does anyone know what triple buffering or force 24-bit Z buffer is? seems to be an option on my ati card.. but i wouldn't know what the optimal setting would be..

JG27_Arklight
03-13-2005, 09:48 PM
75 is too low for 1024x768.

85 is good for 1600x1200. I ran that for 2 years and never had one issue. On about 14 hours a day. 1024x768 should be higher then 1600x1200.

Either way it doens't really matter General. Just chooses what looks best for you. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Mon Pavion
03-13-2005, 09:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JG27_Arklight:
75 is too low for 1024x768.

85 is good for 1600x1200. I ran that for 2 years and never had one issue. On about 14 hours a day. 1024x768 should be higher then 1600x1200.

Either way it doens't really matter General. Just chooses what looks best for you. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To be honest, I never noticed a difference between the different settings. Or maybe thats just because I havent played around with them too much.

I have found that when I start to tinker with things on this machine that I dont really understand, My computer seems to have a habit of b*tch slappin me in the face. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

JG27_Arklight
03-13-2005, 09:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blue_76:
does anyone know what triple buffering or force 24-bit Z buffer is? seems to be an option on my ati card.. but i wouldn't know what the optimal setting would be.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't remember what 24bit Z-Buffer does but Triple buffering allows a speed increase in the writing of algorithims so performance is better, IIRC.

Mon Pavion
03-13-2005, 09:55 PM
OK, anfter clicking the "hide modes that this monitor cannot support", I see that 100 is the highest refreash rate i can set. So I set it to 85. Ill try that for a while.

JG27_Arklight
03-13-2005, 10:01 PM
OK, anfter clicking the "hide modes that this monitor cannot support", I see that 100 is the highest refreash rate i can set. So I set it to 85. Ill try that for a while. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That might be fine for you, just check it out and see.

What I do to test is play a graphics intensive game for a few hours one day and see how it goes (headaches or not, etc..).

The next day I change it and see if there is any difference.

If there isn't, use the lower one. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

macker33
03-14-2005, 12:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Masterjts:
You want to set it over 70. Anything under 70 and your peripheral vision can pick up the refresh rate and you can develop a headache and or nausea.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for that,i was never able to finish Castle wolfenstein because i used start feeling sick,I thought it was to do with low resolutions.

macker33
03-14-2005, 12:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blue_76:
does anyone know what triple buffering or force 24-bit Z buffer is? seems to be an option on my ati card.. but i wouldn't know what the optimal setting would be.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think z buffer and triple buffer are good things,Trible buffering as far as i know helps prevent lags when playing a game,
Z buffer(i could be wrong)helps in preventing artifacts in distant objects.Its something to do with depth rendering.
It might be better to switch both of them on.

Mashiki_a
03-14-2005, 02:10 AM
Hmm ok but don't come crying when the monitor explodes and the electron beam cooks you in your seat http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Heheh. I don't know of a monitor these days won't turn off the tube and/or electron gun if gets a out-of-sync command. Used to be a real problem on old monitors, 15-ish years back(I keep losing track of time as I've gotten older)...maybe a bit more we had a good hit of ansi virus' that would throw your monitor sync out and bake it. Part of the reason why it's standard these days, same reason why you don't need a program to park the heads on your HDD; they do it themselves. Back around the same time was the hight of virus that would smash drive heads into the spindle center and destroy the drive.

If your monitor is rated for 110Hz @ 1024x768 @ 32bpp you can use it at that without worry. Good CRT's are rated in the 200Hz+ ranges, most video cards support atleast 100Hz @ 1600x1200 @32bpp anyway...the question at the end of the day is always does your monitor?

EFileTahi-A
03-14-2005, 02:34 AM
Like Mashiki_a said, if your screen do support high refresh rates try to use the highest one, your eyes will thank you, that's why manufactors make this kind of things, so ppl can use them...

I can distinguish refresh rates up to 85hz. For me it's easy to spott a 60hz screen, miles away...

Leif...
03-14-2005, 05:01 AM
Leave the 24bit z-buffer unchecked and let the program chose the depth of the z-buffer automatically. If however there is some graphical problem you might try to force the program into using 24 bit z-buffer.

Tripple buffer might increase update speed if you run synched to refresh rate, however it might also decrease speed as it eats video memory.

Leif€¦