PDA

View Full Version : Help! PF Stand Alone Won't Run After Clean Install

No105_Swoose
07-04-2005, 11:32 AM
The title pretty much sums up the basic problem. I'll try to give us as much info as possible in the hope that someone out there can help me.

First, the specs of my rig from the Jurassic Period: Dell Dimension Pentium III 700Mhz, 768MB RAM, GeForce3 video card, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card, Windows XP Home Edition SP2 on separate 20G HD (only 8% space available and unable to defrag), most program files (including PF stand alone) on separate 13G HD. I recently installed a new DVD drive with CD R-W capability and retained my older CD-ROM drive. I got the new DVD drive with CD R-W capability because my wife's hobby is digital photography. Her pictures are taking up a lot of room on the F: drive and I wanted to give her the ability to burn CDs in order to free up space.

The files from the two PF installation CD's seemed to load properly. After installing the retail version out of the box I downloaded and installed the 3.03 and 3.04 stand alone version patches from the Ubi site. They seemed to install properly into C:\Program Files\UbiSoft\Pacific Fighters folder as well. I tweaked the setup options to match my desktop (1152x864 32bit), the video card (GeForce3), and sound card (16 channels/minimal/22050).

Putting in CD#2 brings up the start window. I click on start and the program brings up the initial small splash screen of a Japanese carrier. But then nothing further happens.
I also tried starting the program by clicking the desktop icon but no joy. Same for going the START/All Programs/UbiSoft/Pacific fighters route. I also opened up the program folder and tried clicking on the .exe icon but again nothing happened.

I realize my system is way below specs, but I did have a good installation of FB+AEP+BOE/PF v3.04m working until about 18 June. I was getting decent framerates with the settings toned down and good gameplay with my old MS FFB2. Then I installed v4.01m and that was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. In retrospect, I should have heeded the warnings that 4.01m makes significant demands on system resources and stayed with 3.04m. At any rate, I could not get it to work properly. I tried to do a complete uninstall/reinstall but things only seemed worse after that. So I uninstalled FB+AEP+BOE/PF, this time deleting the program folder after the uninstall.

Going the PF stand alone (only up to 3.04) route will be my last attempt to get the sim working again. If I'm not able to get PF stand alone v3.04 operational then I'm going to take a break from virtual flying. I'd wait to resume simming until the release UbiSoft/Maddox Games Battle of Britain (2006? 2007?) at which time I plan to buy a new state-of-the-art, top-of-the-line gaming rig and a CH Products HOTAS setup.

Thanks for reading my long tale of woe. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

The first sentence of the second paragraph on page 37 of the PF manual is "The map has several scales."

steve_v
07-04-2005, 12:52 PM
Uninstall everything, delete all folders and shortcuts, and reboot.
Install PF stand alone. Do not patch and test. Report your findings. Any number of things could have occured with your first stand alone install.
Also confirm you have the correct patches. http://www.airwarfare.com/guides/patching.htm

No105_Swoose
07-04-2005, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by steve_v:
Uninstall everything, delete all folders and shortcuts, and reboot.
Install PF stand alone. Do not patch and test. Report your findings. Any number of things could have occured with your first stand alone install.
Also confirm you have the correct patches. http://www.airwarfare.com/guides/patching.htm

S! steve_v

Thanks for your response. I followed the instructions in your post but it did not fix the problem. After clicking Start, the small splash screen with the Japanese carrier appears but nothing happens after that. I did not install any patches prior to starting it. The only thing I tweaked was the screen size (1152x864) in the setup so that it would match my desktop.

FWIW my children's CD kiddy game programs load and run properly. Maybe there's something messed up on one of my two CD disks and I need to get a new copy of PF?

Any other ideas? TIA

steve_v
07-04-2005, 03:10 PM
try this first, but I am doubtful: Ubisoft Solution Center (http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ubisoft.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=10061&p_created=1099077749&p_sid=3_uGGxsh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQmcF9ncmlkc29yd D0mcF9yb3dfY250PTQmcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1zZWFyY2hfbmw mcF9wcm9kX2x2bDE9ODgmcF9wcm9kX2x2bDI9MTEyOCZwX2Nhd F9sdmwxPSZwX2NhdF9sdmwyPSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=)

if no go, post your dxdiag in community help: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=frm&s=400102&f=49310655

don't think you need new discs

No105_Swoose
07-05-2005, 07:28 PM
A big S! and THANK YOU to steve_v. You showed the board at its best and I really appreciate your advice.

Earlier this evening I called Ubisoft Tech Support. The rep, Paul, had me do some troubleshooting and checked my DxDiag. Nothing seemed to work, e.g. the rts.dll file. He suggested I try a few other ideas and fortunately one of them did the trick: I simply downloaded and installed the latest (77.72) NVIDIA drivers for my old GeForce3 Ti-200 video card and that got PF stand alone to work! Interestingly my earlier IL-2 FB/AEP/BoE/PF configuration had worked fine with older NVIDIA drivers. Personal Computers are certainly tempermental beasties, but I have this one tamed for the time being. Well, gotta go now...I have a lot of tweaking and flying to do!