PDA

View Full Version : Spring effect - realistic?

Orfson
02-01-2005, 06:24 AM
The pre-patch Sturmovik had a bug and my MS ffb2 didn't perform the auto-centering spring effect. After the patch everything is ok... but now I'm wondering which behaviour is more realistic. I mean: on ground at zero speed, the controls should make no resistance, so I would expect no auto-centerfing from my stick - nor rudder.
Is "auto-centering" achieved only at a certain speed? Can any real-life pilot tell me how the stick (and rudder) is supposed to behave?
Thanks

tsisqua
02-01-2005, 06:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Orfson:
The pre-patch Sturmovik had a bug and my MS ffb2 didn't perform the auto-centering spring effect. After the patch everything is ok... but now I'm wondering which behaviour is more realistic. I mean: on ground at zero speed, the controls should make no resistance, so I would expect no auto-centerfing from my stick - nor rudder.
Is "auto-centering" achieved only at a certain speed? Can any real-life pilot tell me how the stick (and rudder) is supposed to behave?
Thanks <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No wind current on control surfaces = limp controls.

However, at cruise speed, you have to trim the RL forces off the yoke so that you do not have to fight the air for level flight.

The "game" is pretty darn real about this.

Tsisqua

P.S. If your stick's software has its own auto center spring emulation, or whatever, turn it off, and let the game support auto whatever springy thingy. I have found that the game's instructions here conflict with the stick's software . . . double springing me, and was noticibly restricting my in game stick movement. I turned off the spring centering in the stick's software, and voila! The yoke on my P-38 now has full motion. Before, I couldn't even get full-right, only about a quarter of the way.

Orfson
02-01-2005, 07:43 AM
To disable the spring emulation of a MS FFB2, should I delete (...er, rename) the "spring" file from the "forcefeedback" directory?

What you said applies to original il2 too?

thanx

Taylortony
02-01-2005, 11:15 AM
yes a properly trimmed aircraft will fly hands off, but as you burn fuel the Centre of gravity moves or change power setting, so you trim the aircraft to take the load of the controls until they are back in a state of equilibrium......... putting say elevator trim on moves a small tab on the elevator, this in effect flies the elevator up or down slightly so it is no longer streamlined but is creating lift or downforce to correct the out of balance forces and relieve pilot fatigue......... believe me if you dont trim it you find it gets really heavy to hold level quite quickly.

Orfson
02-01-2005, 01:10 PM
I definitely think trimming is necessary, but the question here is: is the spring effect realistic? I expect realistic spring effect to disappear at zero speed (...after landing, of course).

-HH-Dubbo
02-01-2005, 01:59 PM
The centering effect of which you speak should only be present at speed with your FFB. If I am stationary there is no centering of the joystick and this has been consistent through all patches. If I disable FFB then the stick acts as though it has a spring and centres automatically. Check your settings.