PDA

View Full Version : How do I save Missions from Net Cache...

Worf101
06-14-2006, 08:23 AM
Bearcat ran a mission last night which contained a very difficult take off and suicidal OpFor. I want to practice this mission offline. I went into my Missions folder/NetCache folder and found a bunch of ".MIS" files.

Everytime I try and open one in FMB however it gives me an error message and says "file contains no "main"" or some other such message. Am I missing something?

Da Worfster

Worf101
06-14-2006, 08:23 AM
Bearcat ran a mission last night which contained a very difficult take off and suicidal OpFor. I want to practice this mission offline. I went into my Missions folder/NetCache folder and found a bunch of ".MIS" files.

Everytime I try and open one in FMB however it gives me an error message and says "file contains no "main"" or some other such message. Am I missing something?

Da Worfster

FoolTrottel
06-14-2006, 09:09 AM
Those look like being encrypted ...

Makes sense.

If they were 'readable' you'd be able to 'preview' the mission once its downloaded to your pc, before it starts...

Ask the host for a copy?

Have Fun!

AH_BlueKestral
06-14-2006, 09:11 AM
S! Some reason or another I'm not able to use the full post
Try this program (IL2 Mission Saver) Not all missions can be saved. You will be amased at how many missions are in your net cache. S! _AH_BlueKestral

http://www.xs4all.nl/~josdr/IL2MissionSaver.htm (http://www.xs4all.nl/%7Ejosdr/IL2MissionSaver.htm)

antifreeze
06-14-2006, 09:30 AM
I've not tried it, but I think that program was written BEFORE oleg started encrypting the missions; there is no mention of the encryption, which is a bit suspect.

This issue is what killed online co-ops. It use to be that all the missions were automatically shared by being cached; after a great mission all you need to do was sort the folder by date (a Windows option) and copy the last mission to your co-op folder. In this way, all the best missions were kept alive, whilst the worse ones faded into non-existence. Online co-ops were one of the strongest aspects of the game around v2.x. It was difficult to find an open slot in any of the co-op rooms at any time of day.

However, 3rd party mission designers who wanted to sell their mission packs asked (and paid?) oleg to encrypt them, so they couldn't be shared so easily. This benefited the online wars too, where some players would drop to desktop and look at the mission file whilst others were still on the briefing screen. So now we have to download co-op missions or ask the host to send them to us. To date, I don't think there is a way around that.

LEBillfish
06-14-2006, 09:33 AM
I could be wrong yet I believe from IL2FB/1.0 on, the feature of using the cache missions was eliminated.....IOW, key elements of it were not in the files, so in the end you have nothing any more workable then a log.

The point if I recall correctly being some had been upset their missions were being utilized by others for whatever reason.

Now did they change that, or come up with a way to adjust those files?....I don't believe so, though it's possible.......Yet mission builder/community help/ORR would be the better places to ask.

JG53Frankyboy
06-14-2006, 09:41 AM
in the "good old days" the main reason for that were most propably the (handmade) COOP online wars........

nowadays i doubt the scripted dogfight servers want that everyone can use their maps.

just guesses !

justflyin
06-14-2006, 09:48 AM
I used to get my best online dogfight missions from NetCache back in the day. I believe the encryption started somewhere in FB/AEP. Saved me the time and trouble of creating the map and all I had to do was add/change planes, AAA and base locations.

I miss those days, as I don't have the time these days to make my own. Besides my abundance of laziness, of course.

Bearcat99
06-14-2006, 10:52 PM
Go to the Panther Room.

Worf101
06-15-2006, 07:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Go to the Panther Room. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeth boss....

Da Worfster

KG26_Alpha
06-15-2006, 10:53 AM
IIRC they were encrypted due to 3rd party addon licences sold by 1c/Oleg.

Ruined the coop community IMHO.

Edit:
Sorry Antifreeze http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

DxyFlyr
06-15-2006, 11:48 AM
I think Alpha and Antifreeze are right. Folks selling third party add on's are the only ones who benefit from encrypted mis files. They are likely the reason we have it this way.

I liked it much better when we could pull missions out of the cache, but I hardly think the coop is dead. Plenty of coops nightly. I don't remember there being many more before the encryption business started. Maybe a few.

If you like a mission, ask the host where he got it. I've never heard a host/ mission designer refuse to hand over a mission file. They are usually pretty proud of them (deservedly so) and like to share.

Worf101
06-16-2006, 07:03 AM
Okay, after I've gotten the mission files where exactly do I load them? In the single missions folder for offline practice? Run them in FMB? Or put them in the CooP folder? I've never done this before...

Da Worfster

x6BL_Brando
06-16-2006, 08:08 AM
Missions/Net/Coop if it's a coop mission. You can fly solo in a coop by using Multiplay from the main FB window. Set your difficulty levels before you load your intended mission.

Then you can check out any seat you like, but you can't use Pause or time-acceleration.

Have fun! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

B.

Bearcat99
06-16-2006, 09:06 AM
Create a folder here: <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles\Missions\Net\coop</span> called 332nd or whatever you want to call it... then unrar the whole enchilada to that folder. Then boot up the sim go to Multiplayer,Create New Server, Game Type=Cooperative,Mission Type=332nd.. (or whtever you named the folder) scroll down to PF mission 24 I think it was... then hit load. Keep in mind you can run coops as single missions and the AI automatically fills in the blank slots....