PDA

View Full Version : So much for the 4.12 Cat Drivers !!!

JG51Beolke
12-16-2004, 06:30 PM
I just installed them, and had nothing but random reboots while at the desktop, even. Had to go back to the 4.11's and everything's fine again. Using an x800xt.

DarkCanuck420
12-16-2004, 08:59 PM
with the 4.11 drivers i had reboot issues when playing games. no problems with the 4.12 yet. try downloading it without the cat control center.

Hunter82
12-16-2004, 09:12 PM
sounds like a bad install

JG51Beolke
12-16-2004, 09:26 PM
Roget That. I'll give it one more try......

Hunter82
12-16-2004, 09:48 PM
I've had that happen once or twice when it was trying to load the WDM driver.

If you have XP make sure to have SP2 and .net 1.1 installed.

Also make sure the old WDM driver is removed since the new one and older one are not compatible

Fritzofn
12-17-2004, 01:58 AM
u do know that u need to uninstall the previous driver, and delete the ATI folder before rebooting and installing new drivers ???

pettera
12-17-2004, 02:10 AM
Why is it so that you have to remove old drivers before installing a new one? It would be pretty hopeless if it was like that for every new patch of IL2, or Microsoft XP or whatever software.

Why can't the installation scripts do all the job. The people making them (hopefully) has a way deeper understanding of what is going on in the deeper dungeons of the PC than most users - including me. Some of the recipees for removing the drivers are pretty extensive and includes fiddeling around in the registry. This can't really be the intention of either Bill Gates gang nor the jolly crowds at ATI or NVIDIA.

Do Hunter or any other person with some insight into this have any reasonable explanation?

Petter

WWSensei
12-17-2004, 04:02 AM
I'm using the 4.12 drivers with no problems.

ATI drivers don't really have to be removed. You can install right over the top. I've been doing so since the original Cat 3 drivers with no problems. My other computer with a GeForce 3 has operated just fine over 4+ years just installing the latest Detonaters right over the top.

I think the whole "you need a tactical nuke" approach to upgrading video drivers is a lot of overblown hype by so-called gurus to make it sound as if something is far more complicated than it is.

Yes, IF you have a bad install and IF your system was in pretty bad shape to begin with then MAYBE you need all those tools.

For normal driver updates it is overkill.

RocketDog
12-17-2004, 04:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fritzofn:
u do know that u need to uninstall the previous driver, and delete the ATI folder before rebooting and installing new drivers ??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't need to start manually removing folders at all. Similarly for the use of registry cleaners.

ATi drivers come with an uninstall utility accessible under Windows' add/remove programs function. Use this to uninstall the old driver and then run the self-installing package for the new one.

Unless something goes very wrong indeed (extremely unlikely) then swapping drivers is a straight forward and easy process.

Regards,

RocketDog.