PDA

View Full Version : Any secret to using the nosewheel?

Oilburner_TAW
09-28-2004, 04:02 AM
Well, I probably should have asked this question over a year ago whe it started getting on my nerves..but: Are the nosewheels on the jets just non functional? Sometimes I like to fly a jet for the fun of it but getting to the runway (especially with the single engine "peoples fighter" ) is a complete pain.

Oilburner_TAW
09-28-2004, 04:02 AM
Well, I probably should have asked this question over a year ago whe it started getting on my nerves..but: Are the nosewheels on the jets just non functional? Sometimes I like to fly a jet for the fun of it but getting to the runway (especially with the single engine "peoples fighter" ) is a complete pain.

Tully__
09-28-2004, 04:09 AM
Steer with rudder and brakes. If you apply full right rudder with the brakes, only the right side brake will activate and you'll swing around the right side main wheel. Ditto left rudder/brakes for left turn. With a little practice you can use small dabs of the brake while holding full rudder to get very good turn control on the ground.

You can get additional turn control by throttling up only the outside engine in turns if flying the twin engine jets.

Cmte. Carvalho
09-29-2004, 04:13 PM
The tecniques are correct but i still believe that there's a bug for nose wheel equipped airplanes in the game, unfortunatelly. It's really very difficult to taxi with the P-80, for example... Even with full rudder and one of the main wheel brake actived, i have to apply full power to make the aircraft turn...

mortoma
09-29-2004, 06:57 PM
It's not really a bug, more accurately a game engine limitation. The nose wheels ( in appropriate aircraft ) will appear to turn but it's for visual effect only. They don't grip the ground. The game engine models the effects of prop wash across rudders and not nose wheel steering. This is why all the jets are hard to ground steer. Assymetrical braking effect is modelled and helps but 90 percent of the ground steering effect is from the propwash across the rudders. And with the jets there is no prop wash. So using assymetrical braking with the jets only works half-a$$ed, since it only adds only about 10 percent of the steering force needed to turn. That explains why you have to rev up the jet engines so fast or get moving fairly fast to get them to turn worth a hell.