PDA

View Full Version : (new) Mac users rejoice! (huge picture warning!)

Spinnetti
04-15-2006, 08:35 PM
I put winbloze on my new iMac, and IL2 runs to perfection right out of the box at about 10-20 fps faster than my overclocked PC, and of course its 20" wide screen 1680x1050 beauty!

Better yet, TrackIR, CH pedals and Saitek X45 all worked perfect too (Track IR is massively better/smoother - I had to slow it down).
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/589/il20073yo.jpg

FritzGryphon
04-15-2006, 08:37 PM
Finally, Macs you can actually use for stuff.

It's so simple, it makes you wonder why they didn't think of it before.

leitmotiv
04-15-2006, 09:44 PM
Great news! Loathe PCs, use Macs for everything except flight sims. Ding **** the witch is dead!

Aeronautico
04-16-2006, 07:04 AM
That sounds so good that my next PC will probably be... a Mac.

VW-IceFire
04-16-2006, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
Finally, Macs you can actually use for stuff.

It's so simple, it makes you wonder why they didn't think of it before.
Couldn't be done before...the x86 architecture and the PowerPC chips were not at all the same. Now that Mac's are just glorrified PC's its comparatively easy to do...no need for any emulation.

I think this is a great boon for Apple which tends to sell style over all else and whats under the hood is somewhat less important as long as it does what its supposed to. I think they are onto something good here. Best of all...it means that Microsoft isn't going to actively try and crush them either as you still need to buy Windows. Win win for those two.

jamesdietz
04-16-2006, 10:07 AM
I wonder if the upcoming BoB will work with this new combo?I know I'll have to buy new everything for that Sim...this might be just the ticket...what do others think...Can you read the crystal ball better that I can???

Hologram3
04-16-2006, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by jamesdietz:
I wonder if the upcoming BoB will work with this new combo?

Well, here's the deal:

The next generation MacOS X release (10.5 Leopard) will have support for WinXP built in, so you won't need a separate app like Boot Camp. The bad news is, at the moment it looks like there's going to be a big problem getting Vista to run at all. So, if it runs under XP, it should be no problem. If it requires Vista, there might be.

Then again, they said XP wouldn't run on an Intel Mac either, so we'll have to wait for Vista to be released before we'll know for sure.

I've been a Mac user all my life. I got a PC last August just so I could run IL-2 and a couple of other games I saw on a friend's machine. It would sure be nice if I won't need two machines any more when I'm ready for my next Mac, because my next computer WILL be a Mac.

DmdSeeker
04-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Wow!

All the stability of windows with the value for money factor of MAC hardware!

Sign me up!

SUPERAEREO
04-16-2006, 01:32 PM
Yeah but, no but... I can self build a PC, bu with a Mac it's just not possible...

S!

goshikisen
04-16-2006, 01:37 PM
Funny that a Mac gets more and more PC like as time goes by.

Martin_078
04-16-2006, 01:57 PM
Still see the rugged contours of the airplane. Was the same for me until I got me a 21" monitor with 2050 x 1550 resolution. Its so smooth, like real life.

Hologram3
04-16-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by goshikisen:

Why? Can you run the Mac OS on Windows?

Under the hood they're nothing alike.

goshikisen
04-16-2006, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Hologram3:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goshikisen:

Why? Can you run the Mac OS on Windows?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No... but I can apparently run Windows on a Mac. It seems there is a need?

Hologram3
04-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by goshikisen:
No... but I can apparently run Windows on a Mac. It seems there is a need?

Absolutely. There's a lot more software available for Windows. Sometimes you have to run Windows, like it or not. That's why I bought my PC.

And, with Windows owning something like 95% of the market, it makes Macs more compatible with the majority. A very smart move, in my opinion.

Surely you know all this.

EiZ0N
04-16-2006, 05:49 PM
I'm confused.

Why would you buy a Mac to put Windows on it?

Infact, why would you buy a Mac?

Hologram3
04-16-2006, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by EiZ0N:
I'm confused.

Why would you buy a Mac to put Windows on it?

Infact, why would you buy a Mac?

You don't buy a Mac to put Windows on it. You buy a Mac to have a Mac, and put Windows on it if you have to run something that won't run on a Mac.

Some of the reasons you'd buy a Mac are:

1. I haven't had a computer crash in at least the last 4 years. Sometimes an application will crash but it doesn't bring the computer down with it. Just restart the app. I never knew what a blue screen was until I got my PC.

2. A much more intelligent install-uninstall routine. If you want to uninstall an app, drag it to the trash, empty the trash, and that's it. No registry to worry about, no unwanted files left behind to affect your system.

3. More intelligent memory management. An app just uses the memory it needs and doesn't tie up what it doesn't need.

These are the first few reasons that come to mind. There are plenty of others.

Now, I really don't want to start a platform war. If you're happy with your setup then it's the best one for you. Macs might not be for everyone. I have both platforms and my limited experience with Windows makes me treasure the Mac even more. But, to each their own!

Hoatee
04-17-2006, 05:30 AM
Both platforms are 'nice'.

Big minus point for Windows is the multitude of malware floating about and the measures you need to take against them. I recall anti-virus software being a part of the Windows OS when 3.1 came out. From Windows 95 onwards anti-virus has been seperated from the OS which means: (a) there are now two places you have to download 'security updates' from and (b) you have to pay cash for any 'security updates' not from MS.

Big minus point for Apples is that IL2 + LoMac + SHIII + etc. did not run on Apples. Big plus point for Apples is lack of virusses (and that's not just because of obscurity means security) and considerable ease of use and therefore complete control over your machine. My preference lies with Mac OS9 and wish that Apple had come up with this penultimate idea of Windoze compatibility earlier (I know it woudn't have been feasible anyway because of the difference between RISC and CISC processors). No reason for me to upgrade I'm afraid as I'm still stuck on Mac OS9 software and have a windoze box already. I wonder if this game will run on a miniMac though - methinks not as well because it doesn't have a dedicated graphics card.

leitmotiv
04-17-2006, 05:40 AM
Hologram3 put it superbly.

TheGozr
04-17-2006, 10:52 AM
The best mac you will find will be quite soon a OS X running on PC hardware. Period.

They should maybe stick with OS X only and continue to create Ipod gadgets.

But that fantastic to have the macs users with us for sure, i hope it would bring new blood into the sim.

SGT_watson
04-17-2006, 11:01 AM
Try and upgrade that Mac. I work in the printing industry and unless you are adding RAM forget trying to do anything to that box. We have a Dual Processor G5 less than a year old and have already had to reinstall the OS TWICE!!! There is a reason Apple put those carrying handles on the case. It gives you some place to attach the chain so you can use it as an anchor. For those of you with too much money and wasted it on a machine...Just wait for either OS X 10.6 (Pink Panther) or OS X 10.6(Tigger) as they will be nothing more than a Windows MAC Hybrid....Remember there is a reason why there is only one mouse button.

Tater-SW-
04-17-2006, 12:21 PM
Some of the typical comments here are not surprising, I suppose. I have macs and PCs. My Macs all have uptimes measuredf in YEARS. "All the stability of windows" LOL. XP Pro is great for windows, I still have to reboot my XP machines.

Take simple multitasking tasks like "kill -9" in unix (mac os). I get an app (usually a web page poorly written) locking up. I force quit it on the mac and the GUI does a kill -9 on the sucker. It DIES, every single time, instantly. I "end task" on my PC. I get a dialog saying the "end task" task is not responding. Totally typical windows experience.

The notion that macs are about style over substance is gievn the lie based on the OS---UNIX, vs windows. UNIX is substance, that they put style on top of it is great. I'd add that the "style" in most cases is simply elegant functionality, crack open a G5 and look inside, no spaghetti explosion of wires, everything neatly in place---sucks that a machine that I virtually never have to open would be so easy to work on, and the PCs I have that are so frequently opened yet a PITA to work on. Heck, this Powerbook laptop I'm typing on right now has been on without a restart except for system software upgrades since the summer of 2001. Not turned off or rebooted once except for that (maybe 3-4 system upgardes on this puppy). My game rig PC has had almost as many chipset fan replacements as this mac has been rebooted (in less than half the time), lol.

tater

TheGozr
04-17-2006, 12:38 PM
Well since i was pretty much a Mac tech i can tell you for facts , open a G5 and try to change anything humm...... I use to overclock all my macs to a max than changes some parts for pc parts because they were just better wich before were the opposete.
The days of macs with superior hardware is dead just know that. macs are always in some on kind of design but lack so much in hardware advance tech.
They are over priced by far, i open my PC case and i see such beautyful hardwares, quality, copper mix aluminum, high quality cable just a piece of art then go and open a G5.. what a shock and deception but at list it has a ok outside look into it if you like the design.

Spinnetti
04-17-2006, 08:24 PM
Hey people...

This is NOT a "windows sucks" or "Macs suck" Thread, I'm simply rejoicing that I can now run my favorite game on my favorite machine, faster than my 3.1ghz PC! ITs all good. I'm not trying to 'convert' anybody as Mac people don't need to justify themselves to the masses!

America is all about choice, and now I have the best choice for me! (bye-bye peecee)

TheGozr
04-18-2006, 12:07 AM
Spinnetti
You are right and i think the word should be spread around in the mac community as i started on my side. The mac il2 is what we need too, it doesn't matter wich platform but this will enrich everyone.

i thank you to lets us know what you did. Now lets bring them in http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Dantes_CHK6
04-18-2006, 01:55 AM
Excellent to hear Spinnetti! I was hoping that it would work.

I've only seen results for FPS and RPG games that I really don't care about so your post is a breath of fresh air.

Have you had a chance to try any other sims like Silent Hunter 3? I'm worried about copy protection issues like SF when running it on a Mactel.

Are you able to get Hyperlobby working successfully and join online with the Mac custom Windows drivers installed?

Hoping to have my Mac laptop in about 2 weeks. Now I know I can join in the fun and part out my old PC without worries. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks for taking the simming plunge for us Mac users.

S!

Spinnetti
04-18-2006, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Dantes_CHK6:
Excellent to hear Spinnetti! I was hoping that it would work.

I've only seen results for FPS and RPG games that I really don't care about so your post is a breath of fresh air.

Have you had a chance to try any other sims like Silent Hunter 3? I'm worried about copy protection issues like SF when running it on a Mactel.

Are you able to get Hyperlobby working successfully and join online with the Mac custom Windows drivers installed?

Hoping to have my Mac laptop in about 2 weeks. Now I know I can join in the fun and part out my old PC without worries. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks for taking the simming plunge for us Mac users.

S!

I haven't tried any other games, becasue frankly I don't play any other games.
I haven't tried hyperlobby yet, but my networking is fine so I'm sure it will work (I get my butt beat too quick on the servers I like).

I had just finished Call of duty2 on my peecee, but really am only running windows for 3 programs: Il2 (I have all the various parts of course), Motocalc (to calculate electric RC stuff) and Solidworks for 3d cad. Thats it. Everything else I do on the Mac.

Not sure if I mentioned before, but all my periphials worked fine too (Saitek, CH pedals, Trackir). Essentially it all works just like any other PC under boot camp - no 'gotchas' I can find except I need a good overclocking utility now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

VW-IceFire
04-18-2006, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by TheGozr:
Well since i was pretty much a Mac tech i can tell you for facts , open a G5 and try to change anything humm...... I use to overclock all my macs to a max than changes some parts for pc parts because they were just better wich before were the opposete.
The days of macs with superior hardware is dead just know that. macs are always in some on kind of design but lack so much in hardware advance tech.
They are over priced by far, i open my PC case and i see such beautyful hardwares, quality, copper mix aluminum, high quality cable just a piece of art then go and open a G5.. what a shock and deception but at list it has a ok outside look into it if you like the design.
I wasn't a tech but I worked in a small store that sold Apple stuff and I did quite a bit of tech work anyways...definately right. BUT...the average brandname computer from Dell is just as bad as an Apple if not worse.

Apple does a great job on the style, on the aesthetic, and on the marketing. Thats whats different about them and what sets them apart. And things like the iMac and the Mac MINI are so rediculously easy for someone to plug in and use. It's really nice to see some downright computer idiots to just get on the web and check their mail and leave me alone with their stupid questions http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

If I move to a new job and they say get a MacBook Pro then I can't see it being a huge problem. Its a fine system...won't kill me to use it. But for home gaming...the PC is the ideal platform because I build the system from the ground up using my pre-selected parts and I do everything my way. Can't do that with a Mac....or a Dell really. If Apple opened up to third party support for their platform with ASUS and ABIT and other manufacturers making Apple compatible motherboards and tossing in some Intel Core Duos and whatnot...THAT'd be a revolution for Apple.

Dantes_CHK6
04-18-2006, 10:36 PM
Spinnetti, you should check out this site for the .25 beta of ATI Tool:

ATI Tool (http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/)

From what I have been reading, the video card in the Macs are really underclocked (probably to be quiet).

If you are daring you should be able to clock it up and get some decent frame rate increases.

Some forum discussion & experiences on the OnMac forums:

OnMac Discussion (http://forum.onmac.net/showthread.php?t=767)

Some user experiences over at the Apple Discussions about it:

Apple Discussions (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=449352&tstart=0)

S!

Texan...
04-19-2006, 12:37 AM
Thanks for posting this Spin,

Bye bye charcoal grey box.

The flight sim PC box has always looked so homely sitting next to my Mac.

Texan...
04-19-2006, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
Now that Mac's are just glorrified PC's its comparatively easy to do...no need for any emulation.

I think this is a great boon for Apple which tends to sell style over all else and whats under the hood is somewhat less important as long as it does what its supposed to.

Wow, how many ways can I say WRONGO BOYO to this nonsense.

Spinnetti
04-19-2006, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Dantes_CHK6:
Spinnetti, you should check out this site for the .25 beta of ATI Tool:

ATI Tool (http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/)

From what I have been reading, the video card in the Macs are really underclocked (probably to be quiet).

If you are daring you should be able to clock it up and get some decent frame rate increases.

Some forum discussion & experiences on the OnMac forums:

OnMac Discussion (http://forum.onmac.net/showthread.php?t=767)

Some user experiences over at the Apple Discussions about it:

Apple Discussions (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=449352&tstart=0)

S!

Thanks Dante, I was just starting to look for the ATI tool.. - You might see my IL2 posts on the apple site http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

TgD Thunderbolt56
04-20-2006, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Spinnetti:
- You might see my IL2 posts on the apple site http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Post away brother! Any new folks will be welcome. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

roybaty
04-22-2006, 02:06 PM
Okay now for some words of reason...ready?

I have a PC because most people have PCs, and websites I work on are going to be viewed by Windows/PC users. Less development headaches for me.

I am also a simmer, and there's ZERO sims worth note for the Mac.

Both OS's have their good/bad points

Both OS's crash, I know I have used both, and I sit next to another developer and Mac user who swears at his mac as much as I do at my PC http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif (and he has a G5 dualcore running tiger).

Macs are more expensive, and less user upgradable and customizable. All my years I've built my own boxes. Not sure if they are gonna still be proprietary but they always have been (aside from the brief mac clone adventure).

Use what you want and be happy m'kay?

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

Yog_Shoggoth
04-23-2006, 12:16 AM
I managed to completely dismantle a Mac tower before the employees yelled at me. I put it back together and all was well. Very clean build.

Hoatee
04-23-2006, 04:49 AM
Macs more expensive? Compare the price of a MacBook to an Acer laptop with the same intel chip and video chip - you'll be surprised at how close they are. It's a good way of checking the Mac OS out (and this is the better and more stable of the two operating systems), while retaining the use of Windoze XP.

VW-IceFire
04-23-2006, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Texan...:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
Now that Mac's are just glorrified PC's its comparatively easy to do...no need for any emulation.

I think this is a great boon for Apple which tends to sell style over all else and whats under the hood is somewhat less important as long as it does what its supposed to.

Wow, how many ways can I say WRONGO BOYO to this nonsense. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Please elaborate....you can't get away with saying wrong without saying why.

They are glorified PC's....here's why:

Intel Core architecture - got that on PC
Apple designed x86 motherboard - sort of like that on PC (just nVidia, or VIA, or Intel designed instead)
ATI or nVidia PCI-Express video card - got that on PC
DVI, IDE, SATA, USB, and PCI - got that on PC

The things that Apples do differently are EFI (I think thats it) instead of BIOS although EFI will eventually come to the PC world. Then there is OSX which is fairly substantially different and subjectively better. I believe Apple has dropped Firewire 800 on the Intel Macs...so thats nothing anymore. They have more USB 2.0 than they have Firewire 400 ports.

So they are glorified PC's and I feel quite justified in saying that. I don't think thats a bad thing and I'm not ****ging Apple either but thats the honest truth. And I think Apple has made a good move to bring the PC and Apple world closer...there is alot of appeal in products like the iMac and the Mac Mini which are not easily found so well put together in the PC world (Sony has a iMac knockoff but it sucks). The former Powerbook and iBook and now the MacBook and MacBook Pro are also highly desireable in the laptop world...the fact that they are now more compatible with the PC world is a huge boon for Apple.

I look forward to seeing Apple's influence show up elsewhere in the PC world...