PDA

View Full Version : Is this considerd cheating?

camberwell2005
09-10-2005, 09:29 AM
I was on a routine patrol, racking up some tonnage when all of a sudden a destroyer comes out of nowhere and depth charges the **** out of me; I survived the attack and got away, only problem my rudders were destroyed!, so basiclly i could only move in one direction!. Question: is it cheating if i press the return to base option?, i mean i did survive and the way i see it, is in real life we would have sent a distress signal to Berlin and might have gotten picked up, i also relize i could have been spotted by Allies and taken prisnor. So what i did was fliped a coin "Heads" press the return to base option and Tails restart campain; i fliped heads. What do you guys think?

Baldricks_Mate
09-10-2005, 09:49 AM
What is your normal routine, do you actually sail back or hit the magic key and bail anyway?
If you normally bail out then I would say you are one lucky son of a gun because that would be consistent with your normal gameplay!

Ok, only you can decide really...its your game.

the_rydster
09-10-2005, 10:39 AM
In real life you could manipulate the port and starboard engines to steer a bit.

You cannot do this in the game though.

gamera67
09-10-2005, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by the_rydster:
In real life you could manipulate the port and starboard engines to steer a bit.

You cannot do this in the game though.

Could he have still used the knuckle maneuver in game with out a rudder? (which is manipulating both engines)
I would have given it a try and tried to complete the patrol.

As for camberwells original question...I wouldn't consider it cheating if you were caught by that destroyer because you were time compressing to the max, but I personally don't max out my time compression when I am in unfriendly waters so I don't get those surprises.

Mylo42
09-10-2005, 11:14 AM
I like the flip a coin resolve. Yes, in reality I would say there was a chance of making it back, either by rescue or engine manip. However, there would have also been a good chance that the allies would have been able to finish you off. I think a die roll would be better with a modification to it depending on how far from base you are.

I keep a couple die nearby for just such situations where I feel there is a degree of chance involved.

TheRealWulfmann
09-10-2005, 12:27 PM
Did you try routing yourself back to port on the map?
Then clicking followed prescribed course and go home on auto pilot?
I had only one similar problem where I was bombed and both diesels destroyed. But, for me, I was lucky as I was just out of port and barely made it back into Brest submerged, surfacing to end the mission.
Similar incidents to yours never left me alive to have a moral dilemma
Wulfmann

Gunnersman
09-10-2005, 12:47 PM
The way I see it...in real life, your guys would have improvised, adapted and overcame the situation by MAKING the rudders work, somehow, someway. Whether it be with oars or whatever.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Either that or radioed in for help. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

oscar0072004
09-10-2005, 01:01 PM
One time my rudder was destoryed . But i could still steer without any problems . Guess it was a bug.

Kaleun1961
09-10-2005, 01:36 PM
I'm just wondering if the U-boat crew would have the ability to send a diver overboard to attempt some sort of jury-rigged rudder, or even trying to blast the jammed rudder off with an explosive charge, but not too big to rupture the hull.

Does anybody know if U-boats carried stuff like oxy-acetyline welding torches? I think I rcall something like that from Das Boot. If so, it might have been possible to weld or brace a piece of flat steel into place as a temporary rudder. Bismarck attempted to do something of this sort but the damage was too great. I realize a U-boat would not have all the personnel, tools and material available to a big surface ship, but perhaps they carried something to enable such repairs?

K61