PDA

View Full Version : Tracks/"Guncam"/'Hidden' Features etc

ytareh
08-26-2005, 04:24 AM
I spent a while trying to get a Guncam program working with no success(no offence to its creator my inabilities no doubt) and thought maybe mucking about with "tracks" might work in an inferior but maybe still useful way.Well I can tell you the power and wonder(!) of this game never ends!I knew as many/most do that you can record tracks of your missions (press escape during flight and press "Start Recording"-give the track a name -view it after in Tracks section of main menu etc -easy!)Well I thought that recording a mission and reviewing my shooting while in F1 cockpit view might be interesting as a Guncam alternative.But I felt that tracks in general ONLY recorded what was on the screen in front of you .(So if you speeded up a section of game or changed a view F1 F2 F3 etc the track HAD to do so too.)WRONG!!!The tracks system is unbelievably powerful .For simple starters "In Flight Messages " gets rid of any writing on screen -so you can have a more realistic looking track) but get this! "Manual Time Compression" when toggled allow you to cancel out the effects of speeding up (eg if over ocean for an hour getting to target)or even control speed up/slow down the speed of your track."Manual View Control" is amazing it allows you to change from your view when actually originally taking part in mission to any view you want!!!So even if you were glued to the gunsight whil bombing/strafing a vehicle convoy etc it allows you to say press F7(padlock enemy ground) and get an external view of the damage ('out of view') behind you.I'll assume most are aware of the F1-F9 views but you might also be interested to know that Ctrl+F2 and Shift +F2 allow you an external ('rotatable'!) view of your enemies and friendly aircraft also.Put all this together and The Black Death track will seem a WHOLE lot more exciting !!!Some of the game pre recorded tracks even allow an F1 cockpit view (eg "Ejection" one)and best of all you can analyse your shooting with a killer Gun Cam (just get into F1 cockpit view and slow down to quarter speed -with "[" key).Now if most of you guys knew all that originally sorry for boring you but some might be interested.I thought it was COOL!!!

ytareh
08-26-2005, 04:51 AM
Been playing around with this it really is brilliant.You can see individual tracers fly towards their target in head on snap shots and the point of impact etc.In Black Death track can press Ctrl+F2 and be sitting in FW190 before take off waiting for Las and Sturmos to arrive.What about when youre riddling a Betty with 50 cals from your Corsair changing to Ctrl+F2 and seeing the damage youre inflicting in third person slow motion view.Endless possibilities(especially when combined with the titanic Full Mission Builder-sorry Im getting carried away...!)

F19_Ob
08-26-2005, 05:08 AM
Yeah. The trackrecorder is a fantastic feature. Both fun and educational.
Online tracks are especially interesting. The servers I fly on are in-cockpit only so there is no way to get the overall picture while flying.
During the years I also have picked up lots of tricks by watching other players on the track.

Examining tracks is the best way to learn deflectionshooting on different ranges and one can learn to make the best defensive moves by understanding how much, or little, movement is enough with minimum energyloss.

I very much like to go back and watch old onlinemissions where I had fun with mates and where interesting events took place.

This track feature is the best I've seen yet and I would enjoy the game less without it.
Online I often leave heavily damaged enemies and greatly enjoy to go back and in detail watch what damage I inflicted and see if the guy makes it back and manage to land. I'm always happy if they do.

Once online I was attacked by 5 or 6 Wildcats in my Val and I managed to get away while they all got killed.
Another time I flew a doubleseater il-2 and got 3 fighter kills and almost a 4th although I got some scratches and was saved by mates and the map ending.

Recently I flew with a group of stukas bombing ships. on the egress we were attacked by a hurricane and many of the stukas tried to help and turned on the hurri and later caused him to splash in the water. we all got home.
Fun to watch things like this in detail later.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

JG54_Arnie
08-26-2005, 05:23 AM
Aye, its brilliant. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Awesome for making screenshots also, pause the game at the most spectacular moment, which can easily be found when watching the action in slomo and when pauzed, check all angles for the best screenshot. Marvelous. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ytareh
08-26-2005, 05:28 AM
Yep !Thats why Im asking in a separate thread how ya make screenshots!

F19_Ob
08-26-2005, 05:46 AM
'Fraps' is a very good and easy to use program for screenshots.
It can also display framerates and make a video from your game aswell (beware though! raw videofiles are huge and can easily go over 1 gig in a few minutes) videofiles have to be compressed with another program.

Earlier versions of fraps is free but note there may be a demoversion of newer versions and they usually add a "demo" label to screenshots and videos.

I think u can get it here:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3934.html

If u cant find it there u will find it through google search.

MajorBloodnok
08-26-2005, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by ytareh:

... I knew as many/most do that you can record tracks of your missions (press escape during flight and press "Start Recording"-give the track a name -view it after in Tracks section of main menu etc -easy!)...

Did you know that you can map a key to start recording in flight, rather than having to press Esc first? Someone had the very good idea a while back of mapping the "<span class="ev_code_RED">Scroll Lock</span>" button to start recording. It's a good choice because when the wee light is on you know that you actually are recording, rather than finding out later that when you thought you were recording you weren't and that all that impressive footage was lost forever!

MajorBloodnok

F16_Neo
08-26-2005, 06:17 AM
Posted Fri August 26 2005 04:46
'Fraps' is a very good and easy to use program for screenshots.
It can also display framerates and make a video from your game aswell (beware though! raw videofiles are huge and can easily go over 1 gig in a few minutes) videofiles have to be compressed with another program.

There is also a free software called "Taksi", that works like Fraps, only no sound.

After some editing with Virtualdub + MSU plugins you could get clips like this. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
Gun Camera F6FvsG4x (http://media.putfile.com/F6FvsG4x)

ytareh
08-26-2005, 01:25 PM
If you fellow noobs think its frustrating to have yer ammo go everywhere but onto the plane your aiming at you should see it at slow motion in a track.Its mind boggling even for mgs with a high rate of fire.!!!Mind you in Fighter by Len Deighton about the BOB(read it last weekend -its VERY readable despite being a little old)he wrote of a group of five Hurricanes that expended 7000 rounds on a Dornier Do17 to still see it limp home....