PDA

View Full Version : Mustang and spit gunnery opposition

Sniper62_267
03-31-2005, 05:16 PM
Newbee needs advisement with selecting gunnery opposition for the mustang and spit. Have been shotting down bombers and want to try some fighters. I have Another question I'm really trying to get the B and S tactical principles down in my head. If anyone has any good tracks I can download would be greatly appreciated.

Sniper62_267
03-31-2005, 05:16 PM
Newbee needs advisement with selecting gunnery opposition for the mustang and spit. Have been shotting down bombers and want to try some fighters. I have Another question I'm really trying to get the B and S tactical principles down in my head. If anyone has any good tracks I can download would be greatly appreciated.

ImpStarDuece
03-31-2005, 06:20 PM
Try flying against the MC 202 (one of the Italian birds)

It still has the old pre-FB damage model. The only way you will shoot it down is by tearing a wing/tail feature off. It wont burst into flame, leak coolant or start smoking and the engine very rarely dies. It can turn, climb and dive reasonably well so it makes a good 'agressor trainer'. The weak weapon set up means that if you slip up you wont get too badly punished.

I usally set up four of them and charge after them in a Jug. The only wayt you will beat them in a P-51 or P-47 is B'n'Z

For a real challenge try shooting one down with just the machine guns of a Spitfire (either 4x .303 or 2 x .50). Its VERY hard but will really help your aim.

Another good target for deflection shooting is the I-16. Its small, agile and pretty rugged as well as being very difficult to draw a bead on.

Straight gunnery drills are also good against the TB3 or the U2. You are usually moving so fast that engagine either of these targets is difficult.

A to A combat the P-47 is also a good target, though it does have the distressing tendency to light up if hit in the belly.

VW-IceFire
03-31-2005, 07:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sniper62_267:
Newbee needs advisement with selecting gunnery opposition for the mustang and spit. Have been shotting down bombers and want to try some fighters. I have Another question I'm really trying to get the B and S tactical principles down in my head. If anyone has any good tracks I can download would be greatly appreciated. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Something that may help you with your gunnery, particularly on the Mustang, is by flying the D-20 and activating the gyro gunsight (you have to set the keybinds for this). Just incase you don't know the details here's some basics:
Set a key for switching modes (fixed, fixed+gyro, and gyro). Also set a key for switching wingspan (Bf109, FW190, Ju-87, etc.). Then all you do, is activate the gyro sight, place the circle on the moving reticle, set the right wingspan size for the target and fire. Your gunnery accuracy will increase...then when you goto a plane without a gyro sight...just imagine how that one works and you'll be all set.

p1ngu666
03-31-2005, 10:07 PM
btw i use gryo, but i dont often adust range, but still works fine http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

F19_Ob
04-01-2005, 05:54 AM
Gunnery is very individual so u should give it some thought.
There is a big difference shooting with cannons or mg's and with wingmounted armament the convergence becomes an important factor.

Personally I'm a good deflectionshooter and am used to fire at long ranges and therefore have my convergence set for long range...300m (sometimes 400m in slow planes) for both cannons and mg's. This gives the convergencepoint at 300m but an ok hitpattern at 600m aswell.

Wich convergence distance also depends on the speed of your plane compared with the opposition. If your enemy has a faster plane he will get out of your range fast and therefore a longer convergence distance is needed.
Example:
Some make the mistake to set the convergence on 100-150m in the mg equipped hurricanes when their main opponent is the 109 or fw190. That means that the enemy can fly out of range in a few seconds and most of the time when a hurricane can aim at a german fighter most of the bullets will pass on both sides because he is too fa away already. Ofcourse u can get lucky if a german fighter makes a mistake or if its a n inexperienced.
---------------------

In Spit gunnery U must be aware that in the early spit5 u have less cannon ammo and small calliber mg's compared to the spit9. So u have to be careful and make best use of the cannon.
The best advice i can give is to practise to visually recognise when u are in convergence distance.
Example. If u have the convergence set to 300m make sure u know what 300m looks like. if u want u can compare the planes size with the gunsite or another feature in the cockpit.
That way u always will have a good clue how far away the enemy is and also easier determin how much lead to pull.

Remember that in deflectionshooting its not only the distance to target that matters but also the targets speed and angle relative to yours, so learn to guess your enemys speed....If he made a hard turn u know he has less speed and so on.

--------------------
The the p51 is a different matter because its better used as a BnZ fighter although it has enough turn to draw deflection on many planes.
One good reason to keep speed up though is that it doesnt have cannons like the fw190 and the bullets may not cripple the enemy enough and therefore its more dangerous to sacrifice your speed for a good shot than in the fw190.

My personal opinion is that all BnZ planes should shoot at longer ranges if they have cannons and I use that in the p47 (300-400m) because it has 8 heavy mg's wich give a hard punch at convergence distance. The p51D (200-300m) on the other hand have 6 guns and it falls in some mid range category and the earlier p51b (200-300m) have 4 mg's .

The reason for me to not set closer convergence is that it cant turn aswell as the 109 and zeros and thus cant use the the shorter range effectively exept in bounces.
---------------------------------

Summary:

Note that these are my opinions and wich works for me, but I have also given some good reasons for my convergence-distances.

So in general I use the longer convergence ranges because I fly slower planes wich have problems catching the enemy, or a BnZ plane that cant turn with the opposition to use short range effectively ,or because it has many cannons that can take a plane out on on maximum range. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif