PDA

View Full Version : P39N faster then Fw190A4?

XyZspineZyX
08-18-2003, 07:39 AM
No whinning here, just little "reality" check.Yesterday I flew the "n00bish" plane, eh I mean Fw190 of course andafter I bounce a P39 (I was doing about 720 km/h in the moment) a score a single hit I zoom up a little and watched Cobra ovewr shoulder while stil fullthrottlet.At beginning the Cobra was losing a little but after while it start gaining on me quite hastily. Is P39N (it was 42 server) really faster then Fw190, if I recollect P39N max. speed should be 612 km/h in 5000 m while Fw190A4 topped at 665 at 5700 m. So I had to done somethiong wrong or what?
At the end IT close on me and we ended in nasty scissors fight, flaps out and you know that stuff..fortunately IT crashed while trying to acommodate to my violent roll in 50 m AGL..but question remains...

XyZspineZyX
08-18-2003, 07:39 AM
No whinning here, just little "reality" check.Yesterday I flew the "n00bish" plane, eh I mean Fw190 of course andafter I bounce a P39 (I was doing about 720 km/h in the moment) a score a single hit I zoom up a little and watched Cobra ovewr shoulder while stil fullthrottlet.At beginning the Cobra was losing a little but after while it start gaining on me quite hastily. Is P39N (it was 42 server) really faster then Fw190, if I recollect P39N max. speed should be 612 km/h in 5000 m while Fw190A4 topped at 665 at 5700 m. So I had to done somethiong wrong or what?
At the end IT close on me and we ended in nasty scissors fight, flaps out and you know that stuff..fortunately IT crashed while trying to acommodate to my violent roll in 50 m AGL..but question remains...

XyZspineZyX
08-18-2003, 08:13 AM
The P-39 has a pretty good sustained climb and zoom climb, while the 190's sustained climb is fairly poor. But there are alot of factors in your story. How much speed/energy did he have? How hard did you pull out of your attack, possibly draining speed and energy? Did you have radiator on "auto" or did you close it? This makes a big difference, as the radiator can act like an airbrake. A P-39N with radiator closed is faster than a FW-190A-4 with a hot engine and an open radiator. Do some speed testing and you will see just how drastic/severe the speed loss is with radiator opened even a position or two, nevermind fully open. That is why I recommend to have throttle at around 75% and radiator open when cruising around, when you start your attack put the throttle to the wall and close your radiator.

The real joke is how the La-5 standard runs down the 190 on '42 servers. This plane gets to about 550km/h at sea-level which is MUCH faster than I have ever seen presented. It is as fast as the La-5F at sea-level, which has a boosted engine. From what I have read the La-5 standard was not much faster than the Lagg-3 at sea-level. The numbers I have seen indicate that the La-5 standard should have a top sea-level speed of 510+km/h while reaching 535km/h with a short boost. The La-5 standard is much faster than the 190A-4 at sea-level and I just don't think this is correct.

<center>
http://www.brooksart.com/Icewarriors.jpg

"Ice Warriors", by Nicolas Trudgian.

Message Edited on 08/18/0307:16AM by kyrule2

XyZspineZyX
08-18-2003, 08:21 AM
Thank you Kyrule for explanation, it was probably my fault, rad on auto and before attack flew with hot engine, neverthless those P39 must have accelerate very good, I was 720 while Cobra was much slower (closer speed was high) and I was pulling up only very slightlyand in very small turn with no speed loss...

XyZspineZyX
08-18-2003, 08:55 AM
the P39 in 1.1b is a joke.. its basicly an F16 (not trying to be funny here) I went head on with one last night... crossed the path at about 750 kph ..we are both level at this point.. he wasnt doing that great of speed either.. I zoomed up in my Dora (which has about the best zoom climb in the war) I was at 110% with WEP on.. engine was cool and sounding great... I leveled off.. accelerated (which agian dora has about the best level acceleration of the war. top 2 or 3 planes) zoomed again .. I did this to like 7000 meters... you know what.. that thing (think it was a Q1 or 10) was tugging line right behind me.. I couldnt snap over at all for fear of getting slow and sitting like a duck..he was THAT close... I had to split S and do about 970 kph out of there.. talk about an ego basher... P39 is the new hurri ....lag was good too.. everybody sitting around 100-200 at most . I can tell you more stories of encountering P39 as well.. the only good thing they are delicate.. IF you can get nose on it and get a shot

Message Edited on 08/18/0307:56AM by gwalker99

XyZspineZyX
08-18-2003, 09:20 AM
kyrule,

La5

Sea level (with 10-minute boost): 540-558 km/h (Typical. Manufacture data 558-560 km/h)
At 6,250 m: 598-605 km/h (typical)

25th_Buzz
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<center>
http://www.vfa25.com/sigs/buzz.jpg