PDA

View Full Version : Problems with multiplayer

Smothie123
07-25-2010, 05:52 PM
This is only judging from videos that I've seen, but i feel like multiplayer has some things I don't like.
First, I don't like how you're directly led to your target. I think you should be led within sight of your target and then made to identify him from other similar character types by either a cosmetic difference(maybe a different colored hat or something) or by something he does to make him stand out(running, pushing, etc.). The little blue ring that fills up seems unrealistic and makes it too easy.
Second, I don't like the abilities. The morphing and disguising is unrealistic and provides too easy of a way out if you're being chased. It's kinda cool but doesn't fit assassins creed. I think a good ability would be throwing money on the ground and causing chaos with peasants trying to grab the coins. Another ability that would be cool is if you could pay an ai to act out of the ordinary to attract your killer's attention. You could even pay him to kill someone and then when your killer goes after him you could kill your killer. On a seperate note, I don't like how the smoke bomb a) is brown instead of white and b) allows stunned people to still see. Even if the stunned person cant move, they can still see where the general direction of their target is heading to escape.
Finally, I think it would be pretty badass if someone who was doing really well could play as ezio. Like the winner of a couple games in a row could play the next game as ezio. Obviously he would stand out but it would still be badass.

Please post your thoughts about how you think multiplayer could be improved. Hopefully ubisoft considers them!

EzioAssassin51
07-26-2010, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Smothie123:
This is only judging from videos that I've seen, but i feel like multiplayer has some things I don't like.
First, I don't like how you're directly led to your target. I think you should be led within sight of your target and then made to identify him from other similar character types by either a cosmetic difference(maybe a different colored hat or something) or by something he does to make him stand out(running, pushing, etc.). The little blue ring that fills up seems unrealistic and makes it too easy.
Second, I don't like the abilities. The morphing and disguising is unrealistic and provides too easy of a way out if you're being chased. It's kinda cool but doesn't fit assassins creed. I think a good ability would be throwing money on the ground and causing chaos with peasants trying to grab the coins. Another ability that would be cool is if you could pay an ai to act out of the ordinary to attract your killer's attention. You could even pay him to kill someone and then when your killer goes after him you could kill your killer. On a seperate note, I don't like how the smoke bomb a) is brown instead of white and b) allows stunned people to still see. Even if the stunned person cant move, they can still see where the general direction of their target is heading to escape.
Finally, I think it would be pretty badass if someone who was doing really well could play as ezio. Like the winner of a couple games in a row could play the next game as ezio. Obviously he would stand out but it would still be badass.

Please post your thoughts about how you think multiplayer could be improved. Hopefully ubisoft considers them!

Well, about your post...

1) I Agree, at the moment it feels to easy to find your target, especially with the compass!

2) You have to remember, it is a simulation made by the Templars, so they don't care about realism! And plus, it's not an easy way out because you can still find them, just the aatar in the corner turns to a silhoette, but the compass is still full when you're next to them! Just have to find the right person!
Throwing Money would be pointless because you can just knock the people out of the way.
I believe there is an ability like the AI one you mentioned that gets an NPC to run in the opposite direction!
What's so bad about the bomb being grey (not brown), makes more sense for smoke to be grey doesn't it? But i agree, i think the smoke should cover your screen when you run into it!

3) The Ezio Idea is ok, but probably won't be implemented!

iLikeBacon
07-26-2010, 06:48 AM
Eh? Play as Ezio? Wouldn't they have to make multiple AI Ezio's then? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Although I do like the idea of rewarding the top player, that's a little... confusing. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

-Bacon http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

SlimeDynamiteD
07-26-2010, 06:55 AM
Uhm Idk, I first want to play the Beta before making overrushed conclusions http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I suggest you do thesame http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Murcuseo
07-26-2010, 06:57 AM
The thing about the targeting system is it evens out the field, those who are less observant or maybe just not as good have just as much of a chance to find their target quickly as those that play well. If you make the tracking system to subtle it would put a lot of people off as the difficulty levels sky rockets. I agree that it needs to be changed but your idea is to subtle for the average player.

I feel the smoke bombs look better in brown rather than white but that's just a matter of esthetics which ain't a big deal. The disguise ability I think is a good feature and you'll probably find a lot of people will favor it. You already have a decoy ability which is basically the same as your idea about paying NPCs to be a decoy.

The idea of playing as Ezio is a terrible one, the justification for the MP in the first place is that you are training as a Templar recruit.

Templars playing as Ezio... eh... no lol

Maybe Cesare but definately not Ezio!

SlimeDynamiteD
07-26-2010, 07:00 AM
I didn't think the smoke looked bad in brown, it actually looked pretty good, but it seemed like there was too little smoke for a proper smoke bomb :P

El_Sjietah
07-26-2010, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Robson19822009:
The thing about the targeting system is it evens out the field, those who are less observant or maybe just not as good have just as much of a chance to find their target quickly as those that play well. If you make the tracking system to subtle it would put a lot of people off as the difficulty levels sky rockets. I agree that it needs to be changed but your idea is to subtle for the average player.

Isn't that the point of competitive multiplayer? To reward those who are most skillful?

Murcuseo
07-26-2010, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by El_Sjietah:

Isn't that the point of competitive multiplayer? To reward those who are most skillful?

Depends on your outlook, but yes to some extent rewarding those who play well is part of it but you certainly don't need to put those who don't play as well at a disadvantage straight off the bat. If you create a level playing field to begin with it gives everyone a chance to enjoy the game regardless of skill level.

You'll probably find that like most MPs Ubisoft will create some kind of ranking system and servers that are capped. Hardmodes and the like, with certain parts of the HUD missing or no HUD at all which will give the skilled player a challenge but avoid newbies getting squished for hours on end lol

You have to create a user friendly system to begin with then you can add difficulty, allow each user to define their chosen level of difficulty rather than force it on them.

El_Sjietah
07-26-2010, 08:10 AM
I'm all for diversity in settings for a game mode, so admins can tweak their game to their liking, but I personally don't like dumbing down a feature just so the gap between best and worst becomes smaller. If people suck too much to enjoy it, they should try and get better or simply don't bother. Every player has the same tools to his disposal, so the only "unfair" bit is the difference in skill, which is the point. Having game devs make it easier from the get go destroys the feeling of achievement when you do win a game. Just look at WoW for a current example.

Murcuseo
07-26-2010, 08:25 AM

If people suck too much to enjoy it, they should try and get better or simply don't bother.

Personally I think that's a bit of a crap attitude. It's very elitest, which ironically enough is another side of WoW you can compare to. Saying that people who don't have a high skill level in gaming should improve or give up entirely is just arrogant. Everyone has a right to enjoy the game on their own terms so making things easy to begin with then adding difficulty as the user prefers is the best way of doing it. You'll hopefully have the choice not to participate in the easymodes.

You're obviously quite confident in your own abilities and I can appreciate your point of view when it comes to gaming but you're not looking at it from the non hardcore users perspective. Some people may not have the time to improve or maybe just can't. It's much less selfish to implement fun and easy to use features then remove or replace them to add difficulty.

El_Sjietah
07-26-2010, 09:02 AM
I'm not saying people shouldn't be able to enjoy games they're not great at, they simply shouldn't expect to win from people that are better. I'd say I'm above average in most games. There are many people I can beat, but quite a few that are simply out of my league as well. My natural reaction is to try and get better so I can beat them or simply accept that there are people out there that are better at it than I am. Running to the devs and asking them to make the game easier comes of as rather lazy tbh. If you want to win, put some effort towards it. A trophy that you didn't earn is just a piece of metal.

And even though you're right that making games too hard makes them less fun for "casual players", making them too easy does the same for "hardcore players" (just using MMORPG definitions for easiness, I know it's a gross generalisation, hence the quotation marks) It's weird how most people only look at it from the poor low skilled point of view and simply pass by on what "hardcore players" consider to be fun.

But like I said, lots of settings for admins to tweak should make everybody be able to find a game they like.

Smothie123
07-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by SlimeDynamiteD:
Uhm Idk, I first want to play the Beta before making overrushed conclusions http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I suggest you do thesame http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I totally agree but Thats why I said this is
just from the videos Ive seen. I won't be able to play the beta( I have 360) so this is the only way I can learn about it. Anway, you guys don't have any issues you want to bring up?

Smothie123
07-26-2010, 02:43 PM

I feel the smoke bombs look better in brown rather than white but that's just a matter of esthetics which ain't a big deal. The disguise ability I think is a good feature and you'll probably find a lot of people will favor it. You already have a decoy ability which is basically the same as your idea about paying NPCs to be a decoy.

The idea of playing as Ezio is a terrible one, the justification for the MP in the first place is that you are training as a Templar recruit.

Templars playing as Ezio... eh... no lol

Maybe Cesare but definately not Ezio!

Well the difference could be pretty un subtle. Like the doctors could be wearing brown, grey, and black robes and you're target might be wearing the brown robes. Once led in sight of your target, you'd still have to look for him but it would be pretty easy to identify him by his appearance. Also you could identify him if he appears to be moving in one direction with determination or some other action that an npc would not do. I just think being led 2 feet from your target would be way too easy, even for an average player. Also if the best player was rewarded with the option to play as ezio, or any other "special" character, it would level out the playing field because the best player would be easily recognizable. This would provide a challenge for the dominant player.

Murcuseo
07-26-2010, 03:22 PM

Well the difference could be pretty un subtle. Like the doctors could be wearing brown, grey, and black robes and you're target might be wearing the brown robes. Once led in sight of your target, you'd still have to look for him but it would be pretty easy to identify him by his appearance. Also you could identify him if he appears to be moving in one direction with determination or some other action that an npc would not do. I just think being led 2 feet from your target would be way too easy, even for an average player. Also if the best player was rewarded with the option to play as ezio, or any other "special" character, it would level out the playing field because the best player would be easily recognizable. This would provide a challenge for the dominant player.

That actually sounds easier than the current system they use. It would make blending virtually useless, not unless the Robes change colour when blending but that seems pointless. At least with the current system if you stand next to an NPC of the same class there's a chance your pursuer could kill the wrong guy. If you had different coloured Robes on there would be no doubt at all who to kill. As I said I do agree the system needs to be changed but it needs to be thought through properly and not made to difficult.

Templers playing as Ezio is a definate no no for me. Cesare yes, Ezio... no!

Smothie123
07-26-2010, 05:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Smothie123:

That actually sounds easier than the current system they use. It would make blending virtually useless, not unless the Robes change colour when blending but that seems pointless. At least with the current system if you stand next to an NPC of the same class there's a chance your pursuer could kill the wrong guy. If you had different coloured Robes on there would be no doubt at all who to kill. As I said I do agree the system needs to be changed but it needs to be thought through properly and not made to difficult.

Templers playing as Ezio is a definate no no for me. Cesare yes, Ezio... no! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On the other hand it would be pretty annoying if you couldn't distinguish who your target was if two of the same characters stand right next to each other. Then you'd be punished for a 50/50 guess if you killed the civilian. (btw I like how you keep punching holes in my ideas. This debate might eventually end up in a working system)

FilipinoNinja67
07-26-2010, 09:08 PM

i think it looks fine the way it is and if not its going in the right direction. Thats just my opinion. I think that the way youre lead to your target is fine and better than having an arrow pointint at your targets head and allows your target to blend in with the crowd.

FilipinoNinja67
07-26-2010, 09:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robson19822009:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Smothie123:

Templers playing as Ezio is a definate no no for me. Cesare yes, Ezio... no! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On the other hand it would be pretty annoying if you couldn't distinguish who your target was if two of the same characters stand right next to each other. Then you'd be punished for a 50/50 guess if you killed the civilian. (btw I like how you keep punching holes in my ideas. This debate might eventually end up in a working system) </div></BLOCKQUOTE> hmmm thats the whole point of standing next to an npc so your assassin wont kill you. you need to look on the preys perspective....

Oatkeeper
07-26-2010, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Andrew116:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robson19822009:

On the other hand it would be pretty annoying if you couldn't distinguish who your target was if two of the same characters stand right next to each other. Then you'd be punished for a 50/50 guess if you killed the civilian. (btw I like how you keep punching holes in my ideas. This debate might eventually end up in a working system) </div></BLOCKQUOTE> hmmm thats the whole point of standing next to an npc so your assassin wont kill you. you need to look on the preys perspective.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
agreed,

Ive already decided too mess around in the beta trying stuff like running though a crowd causing a few people to fall over along with myself and use morph as we all fall over so there are at least 3-4 people getting up that look like me. making it difficult to figure out which one is me without having to break the line of site and allowing me a oppurtunity to humiliate my opponete.

It might seem a bit overcomplicated to do rather tan just break the line of sight and then morph, but it actually might have some advantages. And besides, that's the point of a beta, to mess around, test, and possibly break the game for the developers to fix.

Smothie123
07-27-2010, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by Andrew116:

On the other hand it would be pretty annoying if you couldn't distinguish who your target was if two of the same characters stand right next to each other. Then you'd be punished for a 50/50 guess if you killed the civilian. (btw I like how you keep punching holes in my ideas. This debate might eventually end up in a working system) </div></BLOCKQUOTE> hmmm thats the whole point of standing next to an npc so your assassin wont kill you. you need to look on the preys perspective.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A fair point but I haven't yet see someone try to blend in with an npc. Most people go running through the levels disregarding stealth because their assassin will be lead right to them eventually so they might as well try to get some quick kills. One way to fix it might be to have more crowd so that you could get lost in the crowd as a whole rather than blend with an identical npc right next to you

Rumble_Strike
07-27-2010, 06:31 AM
I think the latest gameplay videos of the guy just randoming assassinating NPCs who are the same skin as his target proves that the compass system is needed.

I guess there could perhaps be an additional mode for the more experienced players ie "Hardcore" where the compass is removed. Several popular multiplayer games (like CoD) have tweaked versions of their games.

I'm not 100% sold on the whole multiplayer idea but the more that is revealed, the more I'm willing to give it a shot.

iLikeBacon
07-27-2010, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Rumble_Strike:
I'm not 100% sold on the whole multiplayer idea but the more that is revealed, the more I'm willing to give it a shot.

I couldn't agree more.

I guess there could perhaps be an additional mode for the more experienced players ie "Hardcore" where the compass is removed. Several popular multiplayer games (like CoD) have tweaked versions of their games.

This is a great idea! I'm not sure how nobody's thought of this yet, but this is a really awesome idea. I'm sure they'll be including many game modes like Capture the Flag, Search and Assassinate? Idk. I'm sure there'll be more than just a few.

-Bacon http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

SlimeDynamiteD
07-27-2010, 07:12 AM
Idk, without the compass it might be a bit too hard. They should find something else for that.
EDIT: With the Compass it's too easy, without might be too hard :P

iLikeBacon
07-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by SlimeDynamiteD:
Idk, without the compass it might be a bit too hard. They should find something else for that.
EDIT: With the Compass it's too easy, without might be too hard :P

Maybe on the said 'hardcore' mode they could make the compass available for 60 seconds throughout the whole game. You can toggle it on or off but you can only have 60 seconds of 'compass-time' in the whole game.

Something like this would make the game a huge challenge, but we like a bit of a challenge don't we? And it's not like you have to play it, either.

El_Sjietah
07-27-2010, 10:52 AM
I'd prefer a yellow circle on the minimap that indicates the vicinity of your target, like in AC2's assassination missions before you identify with eagle vision (no eagle vision in mp of course). Just have it update every 5 seconds or so. Wouldn't be much use when you know your target will be at its center all the time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

iLikeBacon
07-27-2010, 11:04 AM
Another great idea!

Murcuseo
07-27-2010, 11:44 AM
I'd prefer a yellow circle on the minimap that indicates the vicinity of your target, like in AC2's assassination missions before you identify with eagle vision (no eagle vision in mp of course). Just have it update every 5 seconds or so. Wouldn't be much use when you know your target will be at its center all the time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

There is no minimap in any of the MP footage but maybe they could add it. I would much rather a system like that for sure. The setup they have at the moment would work will with intermittent updates aswell to be fair.

Good idea.

Smothie123
07-27-2010, 01:10 PM
I like the eagle vision idea but seeing as you can't be ezio, maybe it is some abstergo variant ( templar vision...?). And maybe a good idea is that you have to be within ten feet of your target for it to work. you would have to recognize him in normal vision, and then confirm it from up close cause otherwise people could use eagle vision from across the map to spot the target.

iLikeBacon
07-28-2010, 02:05 AM
I like the eagle vision idea but seeing as you can't be ezio, maybe it is some abstergo variant ( templar vision...?). And maybe a good idea is that you have to be within ten feet of your target for it to work. you would have to recognize him in normal vision, and then confirm it from up close cause otherwise people could use eagle vision from across the map to spot the target.

Maybe they could make this 'templar vision' as an ability, and this ability is unlocked last and takes longer to recharge. (seeing as it is a big advantage.) I do like the idea that you will be able to cut out the accidental killing of civilians.

Oh, and also, if somebody is morphed, they will be immune to the said 'templar vision'.

SlimeDynamiteD
07-28-2010, 02:55 AM
I think they should keep the compass, but make it less accurate. So that you have a general Idea of where your target is, but don't exactly know. Like, that the circle is full when he's within a range of like 20 feet.
I think that might be a better idea than no compass at all, or just for 60 seconds.

Smothie123
07-28-2010, 06:09 AM
The less accurate compass is a good idea( what I've been saying from the start basically FYI) or you could have a really weak Templar vision. I mean maybe you have to be like 3 feet from your target for it to work and also it wouldn't work if morphing etc is being used. That way it's basically the same as the old compass idea filling up except you aren't led right to the target.