PDA

View Full Version : Online Dogfifght Cheats

Crouchy Eagle
04-08-2005, 09:19 AM
Reviewing recorded Online track has showed that some pilots shot down the enemy planes without hiting them directly. In some cases, the plane got shut down just by flying near by that particular cheater (?). Any ideas?

MajorBloodnok
04-08-2005, 09:25 AM
Telekinetic auras can be VERY destructive.

OR it might be lag.

MajorBloodnok

Cajun76
04-08-2005, 09:37 AM
Looks like you recorded some lag. Tracks record inputs received, not actual position. When played back, the sim engine uses the inputs to recreate the scenario, so sometimes if your machine hiccups or didn't record a particular input correctly, the planes won't even resemble the flight/fight you had. Happens especially when fast forwarding a track through intense action.

Example: I've seen myself dogfighting an enemy that wasn't there, turning and shooting at thin air because somehow the enemy plane never made to the battle. The inputs were still there for my fight though.

Crouchy Eagle
04-08-2005, 10:49 AM
I actually did not fly and just watched the particular pilot (using CTRL F2) during the Online session: he shot almost every single plane he encountered (head on, fly by or on the tail). I guess all I saw was the lag effect. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

tigertalon
04-08-2005, 01:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Crouchy Eagle:
Reviewing recorded Online track has showed that some pilots shot down the enemy planes without hiting them directly. In some cases, the plane got shut down just by flying near by that particular cheater (?). Any ideas? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But it is always behind the plane, isn't it? This is, like others said, lag. Player shooting had to hit him (on his monitor), but since information travels some time here and there, you see it on a different place than he does.

Happened to me once, that somebody was shooting some 500 or maybe 1000 m behind me, perpendicular to my path (with those horrible 108 mortar(s)). And my fuselage just went in half... Gigantic lag, when I checked ping...

anasteksi
04-08-2005, 02:45 PM
that happens at LAN too so its not always caused by lag. i tried to shoot my friends plane on the ground and my computer shows that it hit. then we changed computers and my friend shot me on the ground but it looked like he shot about ten meters left from me but still all bullets hit http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif. Is it some kind of bug?

Tully__
04-09-2005, 03:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by anasteksi:
that happens at LAN too so its not always caused by lag. i tried to shoot my friends plane on the ground and my computer shows that it hit. then we changed computers and my friend shot me on the ground but it looked like he shot about ten meters left from me but still all bullets hit http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif. Is it some kind of bug? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lag is caused by things other than high ping. While being on a LAN reduces the likelihood, you can still get it.

jugent
04-09-2005, 06:23 AM
I have seen one of this "superpilots" too. His bullits seems to find its targets by itself.

He was so outstanding I tracked him.
Ive asked him how he did and he said that he was a sniper, but to my judgement, he shoot at distances and angles that I never would have dreamt of shooting at, and he hit.
I have been shoot down from a I-16 at aprox 1000 m away. That is what I call lag.

anasteksi
04-09-2005, 09:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tully__:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by anasteksi:
that happens at LAN too so its not always caused by lag. i tried to shoot my friends plane on the ground and my computer shows that it hit. then we changed computers and my friend shot me on the ground but it looked like he shot about ten meters left from me but still all bullets hit http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif. Is it some kind of bug? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lag is caused by things other than high ping. While being on a LAN reduces the likelihood, you can still get it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>he didnt even move but still he was in a different place. its very hard to turn away from firing line when you dont know where the bullets are really going. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Hawgdog
04-09-2005, 10:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tully__:

Lag is caused by things other than high ping. While being on a LAN reduces the likelihood, you can still get it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a windows speeder hack that may or may not have been used in public servers, or servers with loose kick settings.
Other that that packet loss is the biggest headache going. These noob servers think flying on the PC hosting the game is awright...and using perfect settings, then when someone biotches about lag they quickly jab "its your computer".
Not always so.

I wish someone would sticky a "proper" setup for hosting.
Starting with if you have two PC's on a router it is so easy to host on one PC and fly on the other. Set up host up at the lamest, dullest video settings, 480x320 or whatever the lowest res is and have at it. Setup like that you'll get excellent games.

IAFS_Painter
04-09-2005, 12:03 PM
Ummm - most lag that I've seen is caused by overloaded PC's, either the other guy's, the host's, or your (my) own.
Why do you think I rarley host more than a one-v-one?

What can you do?<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Optimise your own PC. Spend money if you really have to, but check the communtity forum first!<LI>Only fly with hosts who keep numbers within limits they - and you - can manage.<LI>Don't swamp the host with packets - sure your plane may respond better, but the other guy's plane will be worse, and your overall experience will be worse[/list]

Packet loss can cause problems, and there are speed hacks, but ... a quick review of the read-me files should give hosts a way of dealing with pilots who persistently drop packets.

ps - I'm in total agreement with hawkdog here

Jumoschwanz
04-09-2005, 03:39 PM
I have taken hundreds of tracks while flying online and on more than half the tracks the relationship between the various planes in the tracks is not the same as it was during the actual event. This is the way it has been since we have had the capability to take tracks in this sim.

So you will see planes dogfighting and shooting at a target that is even beside or behind them and the target will start smoking and losing parts.

My tracks seem to be better since I went from dial up to cable, so I can believe that it is simply the different lag of all the players on a server affecting the track feature.

This has nothing to do with any cheat at all, just another Chicken Little scenario, so change the title of this thread to: "Online Track Problems" S!

Jumoschwanz

Da_Godfatha
04-09-2005, 07:21 PM
Forget it Dude. NO one here is going to admit there is cheating going on. It is always lag, packet loss or you suck! It is getting as old as the "2 weeks" answer we always get.

In EVERY online game there are ways to cheat. If any one thinks different, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell them!

On some servers, just mention the words "Magic Bullets" and see how many of the high-scoring heroes start to leave. I fell that sometimes I am the only one online not cheating!

Proof? If I make a track of it, I get the answers like the ones here. Most of the FPS games were ruined because of cheating. Now it has started with this sim too. If you check other forums, this question has popped up alot lately.

Maybe, just maybe, 4.0(if we ever get it)will fix the cheating. But, I would not hold my breath.

LStarosta
04-09-2005, 07:37 PM
OK, I admit it. I cheat.

Please, be kind to all the other P47 pilots.

willyvic
04-10-2005, 08:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Da_Godfatha:
Forget it Dude. NO one here is going to admit there is cheating going on. It is always lag, packet loss or you suck! It is getting as old as the "2 weeks" answer we always get.

In EVERY online game there are ways to cheat. If any one thinks different, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell them!

On some servers, just mention the words "Magic Bullets" and see how many of the high-scoring heroes start to leave. I fell that sometimes I am the only one online not cheating!

Proof? If I make a track of it, I get the answers like the ones here. Most of the FPS games were ruined because of cheating. Now it has started with this sim too. If you check other forums, this question has popped up alot lately.

Maybe, just maybe, 4.0(if we ever get it)will fix the cheating. But, I would not hold my breath. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are some who use other than honorable means to win. Inducing lag or packet loss thru the means of PS or the speed cheat are but a few of the ways. I have a track from 2004 of the speed cheat being tested by some folks online.

So yes, there are ways to cheat in the game. But most of the top servers have tight enough settings or are diligent enough to ban the users.

BTW, the level of cheating in this game can in no way be equated to the levels prevelant in the FPS community. It is quite rampant on many of those types of servers.

WV

Tully__
04-10-2005, 09:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Da_Godfatha:
Forget it Dude. NO one here is going to admit there is cheating going on.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Off course people attempt it (and a very few succeed) but in most cases in this game it's almost impossible to tell the difference. My point is that one can't jump to conlusions without some very convincing evidence.

The known problems with track recordings and online synchronsition makes it very dubious to base accusations of cheating that aren't disputable based only on observations & tracks from online games.