PDA

View Full Version : The cost of programming IL2/PF



Aaron_GT
12-14-2004, 01:36 AM
Copied over from the PF forum, Gibbage wrote:

"Lets see. 100 hours of programming. Programmers run around 30-60$ an hour. Thats about $4500. So, you think the 15 people who #1, already have TIR3 and Vector and #2, DONT already have PF will cover that cost?"

Actually if you add in the cost of managing the project, software tools, taxes, etc., you are talking about $90 an hour (or likely more), or $9000 at US wage rates. You might have a better idea of how much Oleg gets per game sold, but I would expect it is somewhat less than $10. So that would be the equivalent of 900 to 1800 additional sales of PF to cover the cost of US based programmers. What the equivalent for programmers living in Russia would be I don't know.

Also you need to take account of required testing time, not just programming time.

Aaron_GT
12-14-2004, 01:36 AM
Copied over from the PF forum, Gibbage wrote:

"Lets see. 100 hours of programming. Programmers run around 30-60$ an hour. Thats about $4500. So, you think the 15 people who #1, already have TIR3 and Vector and #2, DONT already have PF will cover that cost?"

Actually if you add in the cost of managing the project, software tools, taxes, etc., you are talking about $90 an hour (or likely more), or $9000 at US wage rates. You might have a better idea of how much Oleg gets per game sold, but I would expect it is somewhat less than $10. So that would be the equivalent of 900 to 1800 additional sales of PF to cover the cost of US based programmers. What the equivalent for programmers living in Russia would be I don't know.

Also you need to take account of required testing time, not just programming time.

25th_Orwell-84
12-14-2004, 01:55 AM
YOURwrong.

It cost them $1 Billion to make this game man.

Don't be such a fiscal conservative

OldMan____
12-14-2004, 03:06 AM
100 hours.. that is not even near reality. I work on game dev (www.taikodom.com.br (http://www.taikodom.com.br)) and we had spent more than 20 THOUSAND hours (sum all programmers ) of sole proramming in that game.

reamek your calculations.

Aaron_GT
12-14-2004, 03:50 AM
100 hours was Gibbage's estimate for adding 6DOF support, not mine.

OldMan____
12-14-2004, 09:10 AM
My estimative quite conservative would be 30 hours of discussion, 8 hours of programming, 1000 hours of remodeling of cockpits, 200 hours of quality assurance and bug checking.. more 20 hours of reprogramming and more 500 hours of remodeling to correct bugs.

LEXX_Luthor
12-14-2004, 10:23 AM
Aaron_GT:: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>100 hours was Gibbage's estimate for adding 6DOF support, not mine. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
No, 100 hours was MY estimate to re~mod one FB cockpit for use by one internet "ace" TrackIR Squad.

...this is why Aaron does not provide a link to that thread. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

~&gt; http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=26310365&m=9361070252

BBB_Hyperion
12-14-2004, 10:37 AM
Gibbage is no coder and he doesnt know what interface work is required to add 6dof support.

Oldman your approach sounds reasonable .)

triggerhappyfin
12-14-2004, 11:32 AM
"Beating a dead horse" is an expression that comes to my mind. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

OldMan____
12-14-2004, 05:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BBB_Hyperion:
Gibbage is no coder and he doesnt know what interface work is required to add 6dof support.

Oldman your approach sounds reasonable .) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that is because I suffer with day everyday on work http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Really guys, If you knew how much work game development is you would never complain again for a late game or path.


But for now .. If anone here speaks portuguese is invited to visit www.taikodom.com.br (http://www.taikodom.com.br) (hope that is no problem with UBI forum sicen we are not in same market as UBI)

knightflyte
12-14-2004, 07:01 PM
I've been on NETWINGS a lot lately and have come away with a WHOLE NEW appreciation for what it takes. I've always known it was labour and time consuming to make a game/ sim, but knowing what I know now...(which is admittedly not very much).... I love this game and respect the people who make this game AND THE FREE PATCHES we get.

If anyone EVER B*TCHES about not getting something in the game... or wonders why the patch is late I swear I'll biotch slap them.

Take a look at the Netwings modellors forum. See how hard it is to make a cockpit for IL2.

Great respect and a heartfelt thanks to ALL who make this Sim possible.

regards,
Robert

Once you go Track... you never go back.

LEXX_Luthor
12-14-2004, 07:19 PM
Ya, I don't post there much, I leave that for the more level headed Pros. To really compare combat flight sims...

Oleg is small, has little money, but you can't tell by looking at the product.

Microsoft is large, has Billions hoarded, but you can't tell by looking at the Slop.

Bearcat99
12-14-2004, 09:52 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

BBB_Hyperion
12-14-2004, 11:57 PM
@Oldman looks good but the interface needs some render .) As well the Engines on screenshot section could need particles (the standing engines).

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Where can i download the demo ?

Aaron_GT
12-15-2004, 01:54 AM
LEXX_Luthor wrote:
"No, 100 hours was MY estimate to re~mod one FB cockpit for use by one internet "ace" TrackIR Squad. "

Ah, sorry, my mistake.

Aaron_GT
12-15-2004, 01:57 AM
OlMan wrote:
"My estimative quite conservative would be 30 hours of discussion, 8 hours of programming, 1000 hours of remodeling of cockpits, 200 hours of quality assurance and bug checking.. more 20 hours of reprogramming and more 500 hours of remodeling to correct bugs. "

So at $90 once taxes, equipment, and the like are taken into account (assuming all the hours have to be paid for at US rates) that's $157,500, or 31,500 copies of the sim that need to be sold!

OldMan____
12-15-2004, 02:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BBB_Hyperion:
@Oldman looks good but the interface needs some render .) As well the Engines on screenshot section could need particles (the standing engines).

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Where can i download the demo ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is a massive online game, so no Demo for now. We are yet at alpha stage but very soon will enter in Open Beta test (and create an english web bage).

Thanks for your impressions.