PDA

View Full Version : Last patrol in stormy seas = torpedos bouncing off targeted ships, everytime!

Charlie901
04-14-2005, 07:37 PM
Is this due to the stormy seas or did I just get lucky with 90% dud torpedos (dud torpedos setting on).

It seems a little high, since I was still using the "Steam" version.

Also I had them all set to magnetic and impact (default setting) and didn't bother with aiming below the hull (too many going under as the target ships rode the waves).

For each shot I was as close to 90 degrees as possible, at 0' degree bearing, and I watched as one after another, of my last 9 torpedos bounced off each ship?

What's going on here?

Is it the weather/waves?

Charlie901
04-14-2005, 07:37 PM
Is this due to the stormy seas or did I just get lucky with 90% dud torpedos (dud torpedos setting on).

It seems a little high, since I was still using the "Steam" version.

Also I had them all set to magnetic and impact (default setting) and didn't bother with aiming below the hull (too many going under as the target ships rode the waves).

For each shot I was as close to 90 degrees as possible, at 0' degree bearing, and I watched as one after another, of my last 9 torpedos bounced off each ship?

What's going on here?

Is it the weather/waves?

HelfriedSchultz
04-14-2005, 08:42 PM
Could be you were hitting the curvature of the hull. When they bounced off did they bounce downwards? I've never had dud rates that high, I almost never get duds anyway even with them checked in realism options.

Charlie901
04-14-2005, 09:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HelfriedSchultz:
Could be you were hitting the curvature of the hull. When they bounced off did they bounce downwards? I've never had dud rates that high, I almost never get duds anyway even with them checked in realism options. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes most were bouncing, "Downwards".

What does this mean and how do you prevent from hitting the curvatue of the hull?

Frederf220
04-14-2005, 10:12 PM
Aim under (mag) or right at 0m depth. The hull won't be curved if you hit it high. Or won't matter if you mag detonate under the hull.

nstutt
04-15-2005, 06:49 AM
But surely if the torpedo is deflected downwards off the hull curvature wouldnt it then keep going and reach a point where it should explode due to the ships magnetic field if its not too deep? Surely just becuase it bounces off the motor shouldnt stop?

AdEridanus
04-15-2005, 08:31 AM
I'm not sure if it would be true in a real life situation, but it's been my observation that once the torpedo hits something it becomes impact only and the magnetic detonator won't work. I've occasionally had one hit, deflect and bounce off the shallow bottom and explode, which damaged the ship. Not 100% certain about this though.