PDA

View Full Version : Changing selected planes once the campaignhas started?

XyZspineZyX
06-06-2003, 08:45 PM
Hi everyone.

I know this is a question that also troubles you, before knowing that we can select the planes available for each phase of a campaign, most of us only press the Generate Button (with all the thrill and excitement for entering this new world) only to find that we'll be flying the same plane for 2 or 3 years before changing it. I won't complain about any planes features and all the bla..bla...p40...bla..bla than the P51...bla...bla dammed i16 and so on.

Is there a way to change the planes available once your campaign has started, maybe the CAMPAIGN.INI can be edited ?

I think you all apreciate the thrill of handling a new plane and getting it to combat without knowing its complete behaviour (i supose real pilots only knew how to start the engine and fire the gun, the had no additional information on how the plane would handle in combat conditions) imagine flying at 300 mph at 50 feet with the blazzing guns of the enemy shouting close behind...then the one million dollar or euro (choose your own currency here) arises: "if i pull back hard will i loose my pursuer or will i end in tiny little smoking pieces in the ground ?", you must admit that this is a much more complicated question that "to be or not to be"

Good flight to you all !

XyZspineZyX
06-06-2003, 08:45 PM
Hi everyone.

I know this is a question that also troubles you, before knowing that we can select the planes available for each phase of a campaign, most of us only press the Generate Button (with all the thrill and excitement for entering this new world) only to find that we'll be flying the same plane for 2 or 3 years before changing it. I won't complain about any planes features and all the bla..bla...p40...bla..bla than the P51...bla...bla dammed i16 and so on.

Is there a way to change the planes available once your campaign has started, maybe the CAMPAIGN.INI can be edited ?

I think you all apreciate the thrill of handling a new plane and getting it to combat without knowing its complete behaviour (i supose real pilots only knew how to start the engine and fire the gun, the had no additional information on how the plane would handle in combat conditions) imagine flying at 300 mph at 50 feet with the blazzing guns of the enemy shouting close behind...then the one million dollar or euro (choose your own currency here) arises: "if i pull back hard will i loose my pursuer or will i end in tiny little smoking pieces in the ground ?", you must admit that this is a much more complicated question that "to be or not to be"

Good flight to you all !

XyZspineZyX
06-09-2003, 08:33 PM
Hi guys...

Come..on i'm sure i'm not the only one wishing to do this, its frustrating to realize that you've been flying the same plane for 80 mission and you'll be dooing it for just 80 more just because you didn't knew that the planes available in each phase of the campaign could be changed from a pull down menu...

I don't want to loose all the time "spent" flying this campaign and i need a change in the cockpit at least !

Good flight to you all!

XyZspineZyX
06-09-2003, 08:46 PM
I don't think you can change once you have generated the campaign.

Hopefully someone will correct me but I think you are SOL (sh1t out of luck).

Sorry, time to re-generate campaign. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

&lt;script>color="#CC0000";a=document.all.tags("table");a[a.length-2].bgColor=color;</script>

&lt;script>color="#000000";a=doc.all.tags("table");a[a.length-4].bgColor=color;a[a.length-5].bgColor=color;a[a.length-8].bgColor=color</script>

&lt;script>var YourPicName='http://canflag.ptbcanadian.com/images/animated/waving/cf1.gif';var a=document.all.tags("img");for(var i=0;i<a.length;i++){if[a[i].src.indexOf["/i/icons")!=-1)var o=a[i]}o.src=YourPicName</script>

<center>http://canflag.ptbcanadian.com/images/provincal/small.coat/crest.gif
</center>

XyZspineZyX
06-09-2003, 08:52 PM
The answer to your question depends on clarification of what you mean by campaign.

If you are talking about dynamic campaigns, each campaign (e.g. Finnish) is made up of a number of smaller sub-campaigns (for Finland it is one for each year, for other countries/mission types it is different). The only time your aircraft may change is at the start of each of the sub-campaigns, and the change is pre-determined by the DGEN engine data and files (see my spreadsheet at mudmovers for documentation of those changes)
http://www.mudmovers.com/Sims/FB/fb_essential_files.htm

There is a way to edit dynanmic campaign files to change aircraft in a customized way. Surf over to the link below, read, and post questions there. I have not tried editing those files, but others have with some success.

[link edited as simhq site re-organized ]
http://oldsite.simhq.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=35;t=018360

Otipher

Message Edited on 06/09/0303:06PM by otipher

XyZspineZyX
06-10-2003, 04:20 PM
Hi

Thanks for the reply, the technical discussion in the other forum is pretty tough, but it seems to me that it deals only to editing the planes available in each sub campaign before the main campaign is created. I tried to post a question to the thread but could'nt logg in or even register, maybe you can help me on this ...

Good flight to you !

XyZspineZyX
06-10-2003, 05:29 PM
You can change your current aircraft in the Missions/Campaign/RU/DGen/Status. Enter new name, save and you're done.

Once the aircraft name is changed in the Status file, it takes effect from the next mission on. Meaning you'll fly your P40 for one last mission then you'll get your new aircraft. You will keep it till the next campaign starts, then you're back to what you chose in the beginning.

Am I making myself clear ? I doubt it /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Still, it works. But don't forget to check the exact aircraft designation in the DGen folder (ex : LAGG_3SERIES4), or else it won't be recognized...

XyZspineZyX
06-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Roger !

Yes that's exactly what i was looking for, i'll try it as soon as i get home (hope it works since i don't wanna loose my great Oberst Franz Beckenbauer).

Good Flight to you !

XyZspineZyX
06-11-2003, 02:39 PM
Hi again

I just ran to my computer as soon as i got home...i found the DGen directory and the "Status" file you talked about but i don't know wich program to use to open it (by default i get SuperDVD started as i doubleclick...).

My second question is about the list of available planes, you told me to copy the plane name exactly as it was listed, but i can't find that folder either.

Please it seems you pointed me in the right direction but i need further instructions...

Many thanks for your help and Good flight to you !

XyZspineZyX
06-11-2003, 06:03 PM
To edit the file, right-click instead of double-click, and select menu option "Open With" and then "Notepad"

There is a list of the exact ID needed for each IL2-FB plane in the spreadsheet I referred you to.

Make sure you pick an ID for a flyable plane (the spreadsheet has a sheet for flyable, and a sheet for AI only).

As for the SimHQ forum, I've had problems posting there also. My account seems to get shutdown after a short time. I haven't taken the time to investigate but clearly not everyone has this problem!

Otipher

XyZspineZyX
06-11-2003, 06:41 PM
Roger.Roger

I'try that as i get home.

Good flight to you

http://www.world-data-systems.com/aerofiles/albums/userpics/A%20little%20too%20hot.jpg

Aleksander Nevski Corporation proudly presents the new heating system designed to give confort to our brave pilot in the coldest environments:...Latest news from the front..Some pilots have reported some minor malfunctions in the new Nevski 3000 heating system installed recently

XyZspineZyX
06-12-2003, 03:27 PM
Wow otipher and kvestion you're the best (i promise not to shoot you down if we cross online someday), the trick worked and now after flying 105 mission with the Bf109 E4, F4 and G2(..i'm only in 1942...so almost 3 years left to fight, so the change is welcome), i must try to master the Fw190 A4. I must admit that this plane is challenging, i know the tactics are very different in both planes, but it still gets exciting to fly this awesome amount of power against old enemies.

Guys you've not only enlightened my way but also returned the thrill and excitement of the first missions flown in this great game.

Good and happy fly to both of you !

http://www.world-data-systems.com/aerofiles/albums/userpics/A%20little%20too%20hot.jpg

Aleksander Nevski Corporation proudly presents the new heating system designed to give confort to our brave pilot in the coldest environments:...Latest news from the front..Some pilots have reported some minor malfunctions in the new Nevski 3000 heating system installed recently

XyZspineZyX
06-12-2003, 05:46 PM
Hey, that Xcel spreadsheet leaves out the BF-109E-7/Z!!
It's proper DGEN ID is:
BF_109E7NZ
The "N" stands for Nitrous, even though we all know it doesn't work correctly until the patch.

Message Edited on 06/12/0304:54PM by mortoma

XyZspineZyX
06-13-2003, 02:15 AM
Actually the 109E-7/Z is in the DGEN non-flyable planes sheet, which is correct by my original intent but probably confusing for everyone else.

I've just reworked the spreadsheet to make the split less confusing, labelled "Flyable" and "AI Only". The 7/Z is now in the flyable section with a note that says no DGEN camapign currently uses it, but can be edited to. Same comment applies to other planes, such as P40E, P.z.l. P11c, IL2-T etc.

I'll also add the steps similar to the ones you describe to edit your own flyable plane for a DGEN campaign (plus the original link for more extensive campaign editing).

I'll get the updates over to Mudmovers shortly.

thanks for your suggestions

Otipher

XyZspineZyX
06-13-2003, 04:31 AM
Oh, ok, I see it now in the non-flyable planes. No wonder I never saw it. You're right, you can edit certain files to allow you to fly any plane in any campaign, as long as it's a plane on the proper side. ( I.E., you can't put a 109 in a russian campaign. )

XyZspineZyX
12-15-2003, 03:00 PM
BUMP for transference purpose to new server

Good flight to you !