PDA

View Full Version : Dogfight smoke issues.

CD_Turbo
12-16-2004, 02:57 AM
Hello!

In dogfight the smoke of crashed planes remains for a long time.
It's possible to "slow" down a dogfight server because of this.
You and some friends blow up a bunch of heinkels on a homebase runway and the framerate will drop to unplayable levels over the airfield and the server will suffer overload.

Is there a way to set up a timer for smoke in dogfight missions?

CD_Turbo
http://hem.bredband.net/keiwil/Pics/logo.jpg
Combatdevils.tk
cd_turbo@combatdevils.tk

VW-IceFire
12-17-2004, 08:33 AM
Haven't had this problem.

Was it a dedicated server or a player hosted server? If the player is hosting it, maybe the rig isn't fast enough.

I can fly over airfields strewn about with destroyed planes, collumns of smoke, and AAA going without too much trouble and I wouldn't call my system cutting edge anymore (2700+, R9700Pro, 1GB ram).

Something isn't right...

I've seen the situation you describe with no dire consequences.

CD_Turbo
12-17-2004, 10:55 AM
Hello!
thanks for the response.

I have a Amd64 3200+ 1 Gig, Soundblaster 2 zs
excellent settings, 10Mbit internet connection.
14 people hosted.. i can easily host 30 people in coop.
All of us noticed that problem with the smoke.
others have better pc's then me.
average ping was 30-50 ms

VW-IceFire
12-17-2004, 11:07 AM
Right then, maybe we should compare more closely.

AMD 2700+
A7N8X-Deluxe
1GB PC2700 ram
Radeon 9700Pro (Cat 4.7 OGL file runing on 4.10)
Soundstorm Sound
WinXP Home
Running FB off a secondary 60GB Seagate 7200rpm hard drive
FB is running at 1024x768x32bit in Perfect mode with water=0 and forest=3.

I should test my FPS ratings but I notice no drop in FPS relating to smoke effects even in a situation as you describe. Online or offline.

Maybe we should both test the BlackDeath track and see what our FPS ratings are.

CKY_86
12-17-2004, 05:11 PM
how can you test frame rates

VW-IceFire
12-17-2004, 06:24 PM
Series of short steps:

1) Press Shift-Tab while in the simulator part of the game.
2) type: fps START SHOW
(note that its case sensitive I believe)
3) Run the Blackdeath track that has been available since IL2 came out. Let the track run and record the min, max, and average fps rate. This track recording is noted to be the most demanding and a good benchmark.

I'm convinced you have problems with settings...although you still haven't posted what your video card is. That may be the problem...but otherwise, your system is superior to mine in base specification and yet I'm running in Perfect mode without incident these days.

Stiglr
12-18-2004, 09:13 AM
I've always wondered if we couldn't get a "battlefield pall" smoke effect that would be a larger (spread out over a larger area), yet less detailed sprite so that you could mark areas of combat (and complicate targeting), hit and burning towns and facilities, all without the effects of having 20 small fires choking the CPU and vid card.

Is this doable, or even conceivable?

Cajun76
12-18-2004, 01:04 PM
Interesting concept Stiglr. Perhaps a variation on the morning mist, just dirtier, or an additional cloud layer, which would be useful for other things as well. I hope they can look into it, or at the least inspire this sort of thing in future projects.

TooCool_12f
12-18-2004, 03:24 PM
the exact opposite request has been made during IL2/FB days, when people found that smoke didn't remain long enough... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VW-IceFire
12-18-2004, 04:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stiglr:
I've always wondered if we couldn't get a "battlefield pall" smoke effect that would be a larger (spread out over a larger area), yet less detailed sprite so that you could mark areas of combat (and complicate targeting), hit and burning towns and facilities, all without the effects of having 20 small fires choking the CPU and vid card.

Is this doable, or even conceivable? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think its starting to become doable. The problems is in making it dynamic, properly volumetric, and able to dissipate or collect.

I think were are the basics of it now but it'll take some more time before they can do it in a realistic fashion. Right now, its still just "smoke and mirrors" (bad pun) with no real hardware support for it.