PDA

View Full Version : Greetings all!

SabreF-86
02-03-2008, 11:39 PM
I just got a copy of SH3, and thought I'd join the forum to see whats up.

I have a special interest in sub simulations, as my father was a watch officer on U-969, and was aboard U-331 when Von Theissenhausen sank HMS Barham. Anyway, to make a long story short, he first discovered sub simulations when I installed Silent Hunter on my PC and we played that game to death. I went off to study in Phoenix and while there discovered Aces of the Deep, so I built him a 486 with that game installed. He and another Uboot friend used to get together ever week and play. It gave them years of pleasure. It got to the point he was complaining about the way the game was played,, so I suggested he contact the game people. I am sure they would have been tickled pink to have some more input from an ex-Uboot officer, but he never did. Pity. He passed away about 3 years ago, and was still playing AOD then. (7 years after I got the PC for him)

Anyway, I just installed SH3, and I wish he was still around to see this one. It would have made his week.

Sabre

HW3
02-04-2008, 12:32 AM
If you really want to see what SH3 can be, download and install GWX 2.0. It will blow your socks off. Sorry you dad passed away before seeing SH3, and what it has become with the mods out for it these days.

U301
02-04-2008, 02:16 AM
Hi SabreF-86,
Welcome to the forum.
What an interesting life your father must have led, I am sorry to hear of his passing.
I know that you will enjoy SHIII/IV.
Can you check your PM's?
KUrtz

tuddley3
02-04-2008, 02:29 AM
Sabre, you are in the right Forum. This game will definately give you the experience your dad had many years ago. Like HW3 said, try GWX, or WAC, and see a difference in the game, it will seem like a whole new game(or should I say simulator, GAME seems rather arcade like). If you have any questions, please feel free to ask, or PM me if you feel shy about a question.

Celeon999
02-04-2008, 03:18 AM
Welcome aboard http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Goose_Green
02-04-2008, 03:33 AM
Welcome to the forums http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I'm sure your father would have loved to have seen and played SH3, sorry to hear of his passing.

Worf101
02-04-2008, 07:10 AM
Hello...

Loved the story about your Dad. I wish he could've seen the game as well. With the Grey Wolves add-on it is indeed an amazing simulation. Thanks for sharing.

Da Worfster

Kaleun1961
02-04-2008, 08:49 AM
Ditto Worf's comment. I was also pleased to read of your father's enjoyment of the game. Like him, I was also an Aces of the Deep fanatic, to the point where I'd shout out loud, "Flugzeugen sicht!" every time I drove past the airport. My kids thought, and still do, think that I am nuts.

Welcome to the forum. It's a great place to hang out and swap U-boat stories and other tales.