PDA

View Full Version : Around the world of IL2FBAEPPF in how many days???

fuser59
04-28-2005, 05:52 PM
A special interest of mine is being one of the 1st people to circumnavigate the virtual world of IL2. Other post have referred to the possibility of placing objects "OFF" the map in FMB, and BM357 Troll and myself are experimenting with this, and the possibility of creating waypoints that range further and further around the virtual world of IL2. He has found that waypoints in fact "CAN Indeed" be placed "OFF" the edge of the map in Guadalcanal, and just last night, I flew a B25J South in Guadalcannal untill his last waypoint ran out at about 6000 Kilometers south from the shoreline. At that point, I took it off Autopilot, set a course of 180 due south, and continued flying approximately another 1,100 miles at 8X using the level stabilizer feature before I became so tired I could no longer hold course. IMO, I think it's just a matter of time now before we can start creating missions that arent confined to the area's of the maps! What a challange.

Has anyone out there had the stamina as of yet to circumnavigate the entire virtual globe of IL2 acurately enough to come back to the mapped area they took off from?

If so, please comment here about it, and lets find out more about the coordinance system of IL2FBAEPPF.

I realize that the correct forum for addressing this topic is probably the Mission Builders Forum, however this post is placed here simply as a courtesy to bring attention to the possibility of achieving this goal to the IL2 community at large.

Thank you.

Bearcat99
04-28-2005, 10:18 PM
What would really be nice would be if a way could be developed to blend the maps.... say some sort of generic terrain.. depending on the map.. either snow, steppes, shore line or ocean... that would seamlessly automatically load once you reached a certain point on the map untill you reached a point where the next map could be loaded.. Like how on some maps you can tell when you are off the map becuse it is just land.. no particular details... that would be the perfect palce say after flying off that map for 50k or so for the generic terrain to blend in for a predetermined amount of time.... depending on the mission builder. Unlike some although i am a stickler for detail I dont expect 1C to have perfectly rendered maps in this sim... and the cheesy terrain in most stock MS sims is just too crappy looking for my tastes.. I'll take the pancake trees and glorious water and sun sets of this sim any day over anything else.

fuser59
04-28-2005, 11:02 PM
Amen! That about sums it for me as well Bear. I would really be happy if IL2's World was sort of modeled after CFS2 once "Outside" the map. That type of landscape is both geographically acurate, AND frame rate friendly for the others. You would know when you were off the main map, because the scenery would revert to the "CFS2" like textures, untill you would reach the next stitched in "map" area. If the IL2 Map Design team could just spread that cheaper scenery over IL2 world, and then place the good maps we have over the top of them, that would be perfect for me untill the next great thing comes out. LOL, this is "Allready" taking more of my time than FS2004 (FS9), and I really enjoy it much more as far as the aircraft modeling is concerned.

BM357_Troll
05-02-2005, 12:26 AM
We were pondering one evening just how round the world was in IL2/Pacific fighters. It appears round when you get significant altitude. So the thought was, if you write a mission, with a continuous southbound way point, could you launch a plane, set it on autopilot and come back in the correct amount of hours to see yourself back in the same spot? (having circumnavigated the globe) I have yet to make the AI autopilot complete the task. Fuser stayed up late one night and took it beyond where the autopilot gave up. We set the speed to 8X, with unlimited fuel, but WE ran out of gas (lol). So why did we try? The adventure of it, man.

PlaneEater
05-02-2005, 12:37 AM
Hmm... When was level autopilot removed from all aircraft? Before or after the 163 was added to the game?

I'm thinking unlimited fuel, 10k meter start, level autopilot, 8x compression...

Cover a lot of ground real fast that way.

Chivas
05-02-2005, 10:33 AM
Not sure it will be possible to circle Oleg's world, it may be flat. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

plumps_
05-03-2005, 12:56 AM
Newspaper headline:

Flight sim pilots starved while trying to fly round the virtual world

More seriously: See bird_brain's sticky post in the Mission Builder Forum:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/50910533/m/517100134

fuser59
05-03-2005, 06:44 PM
Humm, one thing for sure. Who ever actually does it 1st, will probably feel like Christopher Columbus discovering the new world... LOL

tsisqua
05-05-2005, 08:13 PM
The reason that the world appears round when you get to a certain altitude is that IL2 uses a technology called sky dome to create a world for your planes to fly in. (MS uses a similar method called sky box, where the visible world is modelled inside of a cube. This is also visible at altitudes way up there.) Even though an entire map is loaded, your draw distance is limited to the range of the sky dome. The IL2 world is, in fact, flat.

Tsisqua

fuser59
05-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Although I am saddened to hear this, I thank you for your explanation. In FS9 However, one is still able to "Circumnavigate" the entire earth. I wonder if it is possible to do this within IL2's World. If indeed the Earth is flat in IL2 land, it still may be possible to go "Around" the earth by flying a straight set of waypoints at 8X the speed and unlimited fuel just to prove it could be done. And then again, this may not be possible. It is just a thing to try to do... LOL