PDA

View Full Version : Ocean Vessles

Milner62
11-23-2005, 06:47 PM
Are there any Hospital ships in the game or different ocean liners other than the two funnel version that i always see getting sunk?

If not has anyone thought of modeling a couple different hospital ship designs and or maybe a 4 funnel ocean liner or hosptial ship like the Lusitainia or the Britannic? Just a thought considering those were 80,000 Ton vessles unloaded with no one onboard.

Azordia
11-23-2005, 06:55 PM
There are mods of differently modeled ships, and there are mods that install the Hospital Ships into the game. The penalty for sinking one: -10000 renown.

Download your mods at:
Mods for SH3 (http://www.mpgtext.net/u-boot/)

Milner62
11-23-2005, 07:21 PM
hmmm well why not make a few hospital ships be carring illegal muntions where you acctually gaim points for sinking them but you cant tell which one is or isnt.

I would like to see some 4 stacker ocean liners like the R.M.S. Olympic considering she made it to 1935/1937 before she was scraped.

But i guess im asking too much for mods like that lol

Maj_Solo
11-23-2005, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Milner62:
Are there any Hospital ships in the game or different ocean liners other than the two funnel version that i always see getting sunk?

If not has anyone thought of modeling a couple different hospital ship designs and or maybe a 4 funnel ocean liner or hosptial ship like the Lusitainia or the Britannic? Just a thought considering those were 80,000 Ton vessles unloaded with no one onboard.

"The man who runs away will fight again", I learned that from Rome Total War, kill them!!!! kill them all!!!!!! I guess that is why you want to see hospital ships. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Maj_Solo
11-23-2005, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Milner62:
hmmm well why not make a few hospital ships be carring illegal muntions where you acctually gaim points for sinking them but you cant tell which one is or isnt.

I would like to see some 4 stacker ocean liners like the R.M.S. Olympic considering she made it to 1935/1937 before she was scraped.

But i guess im asking too much for mods like that lol

Allright, here we have a becoming CIA agent I see.

Milner62
11-23-2005, 07:35 PM
lol its true there has been a handfull british hosptial ships and passenger ships that has been known to carry muntions. look at the lusitania i dont think she sunk that fast and had a secondary explosion cause she wasnt carring muntions.

But considering i installed my Silent hunter II game i have it set at 99% realisim setting and boy talk about hard. the only fish hit i had out of 5 i shot ended up being a dud. lol but i would like a uboat game that has what was there including the hosptial ships and different versions of ocean liners. i want to sink me a 4 stacker like the olympic or Lusitania. either one of those are 80,000 + tons of tonage sinking two of them will put you way over the 100,000 ton easily. ill even sink me a four stacker hospital ship if it will add to my tonnage even if it takes points away

Ratek
11-24-2005, 09:33 AM
80,000 is just a bit too much.

Lusitania displaced no more than 44,000 tons. And Olympic was a sistership of Titanic, thus she was of similar size, meaning about 50,000 tons at best.

Milner62
11-24-2005, 05:48 PM
going from my book it says

" Titanic operated on a design load draught of 34ft 6in and although the gross registered tonnage was given as 46,329 tons, the ship actually displaced some 66,000 Tons. it is the final statistic which makes her the largest ship of her era with Olympic weighin in at 45,324 Gross registered tons, over 1,000 tons less. some sources including the white star lines own advertising material, failed to differentiate between them pronoucing them both at 45,000 gross registered tons."

So yes i was wrong for saying 80,000 Tons i was getting tired and wasnt thinking straight but Olympic was still about 65,000 Tons displacement and Titanic was 66,000 Tons displacement. but then you add the 892 crew members, the 708 first class, 510 second, and 1,216 third class passengers might very well weigh 80,000 tons fully loaded.

But to get back to the topic i wonder why no one has though of making some older 4 stacker hospital ships and passenger vessels. Olympic made it to the mid 30`s she wouldnt look that out of place if you have her visable only up till say 1940 or 1941 at the latest.

Ratek
11-24-2005, 07:28 PM
You could cram 10000 people (around 700 tons) onboard and it would still not come anywhere near 80,000. Remember that GRT is empty ship while displacement is fully stocked (pretty selfexplainatory).

Schiffmorder
11-24-2005, 08:11 PM
I see the QM and Normandie both listed as over 80,000 'gross tons' but with displacements of only ~77,000. Both ships are over 1000 ft (311m) length vs Titanic at 46000 gross and 833ft (270m).... So what gives here? What exactly does GRT include as weight vs what a company like Cunard or White Star might have used? Where they adding in the china and the grand piano?

Ratek
11-25-2005, 07:01 AM
That's odd...

The GRT is found by knowing the materials you used for the ship itself, basically the hull and superstructure. Over time you add all kinds of stuff to the ship and eventually it is finished. Then you can see the how far up the hull the water reaches and thus calculate how much water it displaces. The amount of water displaces is of course = to the total weight of the ship at the given moment (Archimedes law). So I can't see how there can be a case of higher GRT compared to displacement, as if it had weighed in higher to the displacement it would be a case of a broken natural law.

It could perhaps be explained with a case of mixed usage of Tons, Tonnes and Imperial Tons (which comes in both long and short versions).

Baldricks_Mate
11-26-2005, 05:14 AM
Ships sizes should be simplified into:

small

Medium

LARGE

OH MY GOD!!!

or something like that...