PDA

View Full Version : Prop Pitch and other dilemmas

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 07:14 PM
Hello all,

I have a few questions for those proficient with CEM:

1. Is it worthwhile to manually control prop pitch in a plane that has auto prop control? I've read on a few sites that 109s can generally be run at about 2800 RPMs fairly safely, but on auto pitch RPMs usually hover around 2500, so I suspect that I might not be getting the best airspeed/climb, ect. with that setting. I've been trying to keep the RPMs around 2600-2800 at 100 percent throttle, and it seems that may be getting me a little more speed and climb, but it's difficult to keep RPMs under 3000 sometimes.

2. What plays more of a role on overheating: throttle setting or RPMs? Also, what radiator setting works well for the 109 series for general flight?

That's all I can think of at the moment. Thanks for any help you can give.

Wiffle

Yes, and here's to the few
who forgive what you do
and the fewer who don't even care

--Leonard Cohen

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 07:14 PM
Hello all,

I have a few questions for those proficient with CEM:

1. Is it worthwhile to manually control prop pitch in a plane that has auto prop control? I've read on a few sites that 109s can generally be run at about 2800 RPMs fairly safely, but on auto pitch RPMs usually hover around 2500, so I suspect that I might not be getting the best airspeed/climb, ect. with that setting. I've been trying to keep the RPMs around 2600-2800 at 100 percent throttle, and it seems that may be getting me a little more speed and climb, but it's difficult to keep RPMs under 3000 sometimes.

2. What plays more of a role on overheating: throttle setting or RPMs? Also, what radiator setting works well for the 109 series for general flight?

That's all I can think of at the moment. Thanks for any help you can give.

Wiffle

who forgive what you do

--Leonard Cohen

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 07:45 PM
1. Is it worthwhile to manually control prop pitch in a plane that has auto prop control?

I think so. I seem to get better acceleration and climb rates. But it is a lot of stuff to keep track of!!

2. What plays more of a role on overheating: throttle setting or RPMs?

RPMs are defined by your throttle setting and prop pitch angle. Just like a car, with the gears (pitch angle) and accelerator (throttle).

About radiators, I keep them close (better aerodynamics) most of the time. For regular flight you shouldn't need to open it. When I am dogfighting and the engine overheats I open them completely, let the engine cool down (usually by lowering the RMP's too) and then close it back.

GATO_LOCO

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 08:19 PM
Thanks Gato. I'll keep experimenting with pitch to see what works best.

Wiffle

who forgive what you do

--Leonard Cohen