PDA

View Full Version : Help with Il-2 1946

Pirateship2007
06-17-2007, 03:10 AM
Hi,

I just installed Il-2 1946, and I'm having lots of trouble with it. I have a 2-year old Dell with XP, a new PCI card, NVIDIA FX5200 and a wireless Saitek Evo joystrick.

In the game, the load times measure in minutes, but that's probably normal.

First, my planes don't fly level, even on the easy setting. Unless I continually correct the flight, the planes keep pitching up or attempt to turn around, although the rudder, ailerons, and elevators are untouched. Why does it do that?

Second, the mission builder doesn't work. I loaded the Lvov and Kiev maps, but I get no briefing with the maps, and when I click "start," the horizon appears and just freezes.

Any help would be much appreciated!

triad773
06-17-2007, 03:30 AM
Welcome PirateShip!

Might I ask how much memory do you have? 512mb might be JUST ok but perhaps there is more. I might suggest that you go to your Windows Control Panel, and under Game Controllers, check to see htat your joystick is properly calibrated (if you have not already done so).

Load times, even with what I have (2.4ghz Pentium D Dual Core; 2 GB ram, ATI AGP8x X1600 256mb; WinXP Home SP2) there are kinda long load times. And that's been improved adding memory and a better vid card than what I started oout with.

The Mission Builder still takes pretty long to load for me too. The QMB or Quick Mission Builder is loads quicker; or try this by a gent who has made this program that is a nice intermediary step between the QMB and full mission builder: http://www.uberdemon.com/

Also, there are plenty of good folks around here that really like making some pretty intense missions. Check them out here http://mission4today.com/index.php Not only are there missions, but skins and other goodies there.

Hope that is enough to help. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Triad

Akronnick
06-17-2007, 04:21 AM
In order to get your craft to fly straight and level, you need to use the trim controls

the first trim to adjust is the elevator, let the plane settle into stright and level flight, holding it with the stick, and gradually add or subtract elevator trim until you do not have to hold very much pressure on the stick to hold your attitude.

after you have trimed the elevator, move on to the rudder trim (some planes do not have rudder trim, with thos you just have to use the rudder)
you want to adjust the rudder to center the 'ball' in the inclinometer (that's that thing on the panel that looks like a curved bubble level)

Once you have the elevator and rudder trimmed, it is usually not necessary to adjust the aileron trim (here again, not every plane has it) but it can come in handy if your trying to land with a great big hole in your wing.

Above all, practice, practice, practice. When you have mastered stright and level flight, move on to simple maneuverslike climbs, descents, turns, try taking off and landing.

Before long you will be notching your belt in Hyperlobby with the best of us.

horseback
06-17-2007, 05:44 AM
AS already pointed out, few if any aircraft fly straight and level with the controls at their neutral/centered positions. Even in the simplified settings, you will have to compensate for torque and the aircraft's normal tendencies to climb or roll at a given speed.

As for the Full Mission Builder, you have to do more than merely load a map and select Play. You will need to select and place objects, including your own aircraft, with at least a couple of waypoints for each moving object. The Player's aircraft box needs to be checked, or you will get the screwy horizon view (you're not in the cockpit, so the game doesn't quite know what to do with you).

The manual is included in the DVD in .pdf form(can't remember if it's part of the selections from the Start Menu), and it has a good section on the Full Mission Builder. Visiting the Mission Builders' Forum will also be helpful for you.

Additionally, RAM is pretty crucial for this game, and I'd hesitate to say that it would be very playable with less than 1Gb of RAM, especially with a PCI (not PCI-E?) 5200. I'd make sure that all my drivers for my motherboard as well as my videocard are the latest and greatest, if I were you, to minimize crashes and stuttering when the action gets heavy.

Lastly, I recommend practicing on the Quick Mission Builder at first, just soloing in a forgiving aircraft like the Bf 109F, until you get the hang of things, like the normal maneuvers, as well as landings, before moving on to shooting down anything.

cheers

horseback

XyZspineZyX
06-17-2007, 06:28 AM
horseback is on the money, as usual

think of the Full Mission Builder as a clean, blank canvas an artist buys to make a new painting- it's a clean slate, empty, devoid of content- the artist makes the canvas populated with color and light

As for the plane climbing and turning http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif a bit more explanation:

many people don;t understand it, or even think about it, but as you add power, the aircraft in this sim should have a tendency to climb. Without going into an explanation of airfoils and such, just understand that in real life, with these real planes, as you add power, the nose will more or less want to go up. This is why some aircraft "fly themselves" off the runway (in general terms), and also why it is hard to grasp the notion that on landing, you control your pitch up or down with the throttle

the engine torque is also hard to picture in your head..have you ever been in an automobile, and revved the engine while in neutral, or park? the body of the car will seem to lean to one side, yes? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Well, then you already know a bit about torque roll- because this is what you're experiencing. In a powerful car, this torque effect is pronounced and easy to feel. If there were no resistance on the wheels, the car would roll itself- impossible of course because the car is sitting on the Earth, but you are feeling a simple law of physics, the good old "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"

A good example of this that I use a lot is a bicycle wheel- take the front wheel off a bicycle, and hold it by the axle, in front of you. Have somebody spin the wheel. Now, twist and turn the spinning wheel by the axles- feel the torque?

This is also why many helicopters have a "tail rotor"- it's actually the anti-torque rotor http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Now, imagine your powerful WWII piston driven aircraft...the crankshaft of the engine is in-line with your fore and aft axis. This axis is your "roll" axis. All the spinning mass of the large, 1,000 hp+ engine is spinning madly...driving a huge 3 or 4 bladed propeller with a 10 foot+ diameter...and it is easy to imagine the plane wanting to roll to one side! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Zeus-cat
06-17-2007, 09:22 AM
The Full Mission Builder is not for rookies. It is tough to learn, but once you get the hang of it you can do a lot with it.

Check out this thread for help on the FMB. http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/50910533/m/3341042283

Skycat_2
06-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Load times: RAM might be the culprit if you have less than 1GB. My suggestion (based on my own experience with XP and 1GB of RAM) is to knock down the video settings to less than 'Perfect.' Experiment with the landscape lighting and other options to squeeze out the best balance of quality vs performance. On my computer I could launch a mission in Perfect mode but 1) the computer had to do a lot more processing between the menu and the mission, usually even locking up the cursor; and 2) the mission itself became an unflyable stutter-fest. Sacrificing a little eye-candy payed huge dividends in performance.

This may also help with the control of your plane. The torque effect explained above and how to trim to compensate are probably all you need to know, but there is an outside chance that overtaxing your CPU is making wierd things happen with your plane's FM.

As an aside, many planes do not have trim control over all of the axes. Most planes have adjustable pitch trim but aeleron and/or rudder trim are generally less common. In real life, sometimes these controls were pre-trimmed on the ground for a particular speed and altitude. The American fighters like the P-47 and P-51s have full trim control; in fact, in the P-51 pits you can even see the trim knobs move when you give inputs.

You can learn to make your own missions with the Full Mission Builder using Flying Nutcase's tutorial in my signature. I also recomend Demon's UberQuick Mission Builder because it is is an nice balance between the ease of the game's Quick Mission Builder and the advanced options + more maps of the Full Mission Builder.