PDA

View Full Version : Pete's Chronicles of a Newbie

nervouspete
07-18-2007, 05:58 PM
Hullo there!

I've just started a thread to chronicle my first forays into the full-on, chunky difficulty Il2:1946. I'll be using full effects like torque, realistic landings, blackouts, whelk displacement, limited ammo, Um-Bongo leakage and head-shake. As I've only flown five missions so far on easy faux settings, this should be interesting. To punctuate the frustration I reckon I'll have to leap back into my easy-setting Hurricane Season from time to time.

So - to start with, it's best if I train up. Following excellent advice from 'thefruitbat' I looked for bearcat99 and checked out his Il2 Essentials list. There I found the 'Straight From the Farm' training guide by Zeus Cat. Excellent.

First attempt I cheerily began my take off, but my pet whelk silently screamed in horror as the plane began to roll to the left. Almost lethargically, the plane plunged into the ground with firey kapowey consequence. Eep. Tried again and added more rudder, whilst pulling back more gently on the stick when I hit 110mph. Phew, that did it.

I find it fascinating practiscing until I don't gurgle with panic whilst flailing at keys and joystick as I bomb down the runway. Somehow, once I'm moving, I have to fit in stopping throttle at 50%, tapping rudder to keep straight, pulling back a little when nose goes down, neutralising rudder, hitting wheel locks, throttling up to full, pulling back gently to take off and then raising gear and adjusting flaps whilst applying extra rudder and pulling against the beginnings of a spin.

Add a 1,600 pound bomb and full fuel load in the third training mission and this becomes comedy hysteria.

Still, I managed it. And the two following landing missions. Next I might start a campaign against easy-ish AI, but with nearly all realism settings on. Think I'll leave map navigation aids on for now, and toggle ID tags. I'm trying to learn to fly blind so I can get used to the instrument panel, and not look at the speed-bar. It's tricky working out how they relate to each other though. Heigh ho.

What campaign is a good one to start with? Shall I start a new Hurricane Season on this trickier setting? Or something else? I'm not up for carrier stuff until I'm completely happy with the basics. Also, any advice you can give me whilst reading this chronicle would be most welcome! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Wish me luck out there!

nervouspete
07-18-2007, 05:58 PM
Hullo there!

I've just started a thread to chronicle my first forays into the full-on, chunky difficulty Il2:1946. I'll be using full effects like torque, realistic landings, blackouts, whelk displacement, limited ammo, Um-Bongo leakage and head-shake. As I've only flown five missions so far on easy faux settings, this should be interesting. To punctuate the frustration I reckon I'll have to leap back into my easy-setting Hurricane Season from time to time.

So - to start with, it's best if I train up. Following excellent advice from 'thefruitbat' I looked for bearcat99 and checked out his Il2 Essentials list. There I found the 'Straight From the Farm' training guide by Zeus Cat. Excellent.

First attempt I cheerily began my take off, but my pet whelk silently screamed in horror as the plane began to roll to the left. Almost lethargically, the plane plunged into the ground with firey kapowey consequence. Eep. Tried again and added more rudder, whilst pulling back more gently on the stick when I hit 110mph. Phew, that did it.

I find it fascinating practiscing until I don't gurgle with panic whilst flailing at keys and joystick as I bomb down the runway. Somehow, once I'm moving, I have to fit in stopping throttle at 50%, tapping rudder to keep straight, pulling back a little when nose goes down, neutralising rudder, hitting wheel locks, throttling up to full, pulling back gently to take off and then raising gear and adjusting flaps whilst applying extra rudder and pulling against the beginnings of a spin.

Add a 1,600 pound bomb and full fuel load in the third training mission and this becomes comedy hysteria.

Still, I managed it. And the two following landing missions. Next I might start a campaign against easy-ish AI, but with nearly all realism settings on. Think I'll leave map navigation aids on for now, and toggle ID tags. I'm trying to learn to fly blind so I can get used to the instrument panel, and not look at the speed-bar. It's tricky working out how they relate to each other though. Heigh ho.

What campaign is a good one to start with? Shall I start a new Hurricane Season on this trickier setting? Or something else? I'm not up for carrier stuff until I'm completely happy with the basics. Also, any advice you can give me whilst reading this chronicle would be most welcome! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Wish me luck out there!

danjama
07-18-2007, 06:07 PM
I recommend a campaign in a plane you like.

Good Luck.

P.S> Start on a high rank if you don't wish to learn formation flying with the AI planes yet, then they will form on you.

Zeus-cat
07-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Personally, I find the IL-2 a very forgiving airplane. Easy to fly, takes loads of punishment and will get you back to base even when big chunks are missing. You gotta love ground-pounding though as it is a dog against other aircraft.

You could try my original Rufe campaign, "Straight Shot". Most missions start with a catapult launch so you are airborne immediately. It's a seaplane, so you miss out on the takeoff and landing practice stuff. The combat missions are pretty mild.

Faith, Hope and Charity is decent, but the combat missions are tough as you intercept bombers in a Gladiator. You have peashooters for guns, the enemy bombers are faster than you and your engine will cut out if you push the plane into a dive (roll on your back before diving). Other than that...

Waldo.Pepper
07-18-2007, 07:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">firey kapowey consequence </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man! Are you funny!

Do you write for a living of something like that?

nervouspete
07-19-2007, 05:22 PM
Aw, cheers Waldo.Pepper. I read a lot, and write a lot, but not for a living. I'm a librarian. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Well, picked a campaign with full realism - except I kept the map and icons on, and external views. USSR, Sturmoviks over Manchuria. I was flying the IL10, a craft I'd never tried before. My first mission, to recon three spots behind the front lines along the Oder, near Frankfurt, and shoot up targets of opportunity.

Press I. Press V twice. Make sure throttle is zero. Throttle up to 50%. Note I am turning right radically, start pressing rudder. Drive about in a circle and explode.

Second attempt.

Press I. Press V twice. Throttle up to 50%. Turn right radically and drive about in a circle before exploding.

Hear distant cry of Comrade Nelson Munz, the traffic controller. "Ha ha!"

Try again, this time holding full rudder one way and the other, weaving down the runway drunkenly. Hurrah! I am airbourne at 110mph! For 2 seconds! I lazily roll over and plunge into the ground.

Try this twice more. Grit my teeth and...

I am aloft and safe! I doubt I could manage a take-off three times in a row now, but after a very shaky and sloppy takeoff, I am at least airbourne on full realism! Joy!

The Yaks and P45's clear the way, leaving my wing of six to fly the route. One IL10 is shot down by a BF109, but is quickly avenged by a Yak. Another plunges into the ground seemingly suffering a microblast, or technical failure. I line up on a convoy, using my rudder to line me up as I gently turn. At half a mile away and a few hundred metres up I open fire with rockets, destroying several trucks, then hammer away with cannons destroying a couple more. I peel away at 60 feet, and full throttle myself away from the probing fingers of the tracer fire. Weaving erratically to evade, I drop down to tree top height and stalk away. Meanwhile, another of my team goes down as a wing is torn off by AA fire.

Flying to Frankfurt, my engine keeps overheating, so I throttle back. There's supposed to be a convoy in the area, but I can't find one, so after circling the city twice I fly along a train line looking for trouble. And there it is! I open up with cannon, then machine guns and five train carriages burst into flame as blue tracer whips past me. The sound of a stack of four biscuit tins falling onto a tiled floor, and I seem to have a small jagged hole in my wing. Eep. Not doing that pass again.

Flying back over an enemy airfield curiously sans flak, I shoot up a parked Junker transport and barely pull up in time. I decide to call it a day with a half full machine gun mag, and not tempt fate further.

I fly several miles past my airfield and swing around for my final approach, contacting ground control. Runway clear. Flaps for landing, throttling down from 70 to 50 and finally to 25%. Gear down. Reduce throttle to 20% so I begin to really descend. I'm still going too fast though!

I wince, and think of Mother Russia. Then I stop thinking about her, because all I can see when I think of it is Stalin in a bikini.

Um, a glorious leader of the worker's paradise and master general Stalin-in-a-bikini I mean, comrade commissar!

Hit the runway at 90mph and bounce back into the air, then down again. The undercarriage hasn't snapped, good. I start tapping brakes, whilst throttling back to idle. At 30mph I taxi off the runway, somewhat too fast, and slow down until I'm parked in the middle of another landing strip. This is possibly a bad place to park, and besides, I see a traffic commissar with a ticket and a PPSH out the corner of my eye. So I throttle up a little and taxi into a neat position, and exit the mission.

Flight Rank: Lieutenant
Score: 625
Ground Kills: Five trains, five lorries, two tanks, one plane.

And that's a full detailing of my first mission. I'm quite pleased. Any advice?

SeaFireLIV
07-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Not really, you seem to be learning by yourself. Nice to see things from a new guy`s perspective, reminds me of what we all went through... although I went with no icons at all and fumbled through (I did have some EAW experience though and in that I did have icons...)

Oh and I always start at the lowest rank and build up. This meant i`d be often left alone... good training in humbleness though.

Waldo.Pepper
07-19-2007, 05:50 PM
A librarian. Can you take care of my overdue fees?

If you have a crummy joystick get a better one that you can map all the key presses to.

Deadmeat313
07-20-2007, 04:54 AM
Classic stuff nervouspete. Reminds me of my early days. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif Come to think of it I'm not too far from this now. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blush.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

T.

FlatSpinMan
07-20-2007, 05:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">find it fascinating practiscing until I don't gurgle with panic whilst flailing at keys and joystick as I bomb down the runway. Somehow, once I'm moving, I have to fit in stopping throttle at 50%, tapping rudder to keep straight, pulling back a little when nose goes down, neutralising rudder, hitting wheel locks, throttling up to full, pulling back gently to take off and then raising gear and adjusting flaps whilst applying extra rudder and pulling against the beginnings of a spin. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think I'll ever be able to take off again. I had forgotten how hard it is!

Good post, nervouspete. Always good to see good writing.

FlatSpinMan
07-20-2007, 05:30 AM
Sounds like you did great on your first mission. If the mission is in really bad weather conditions you might want to use brakes while taking off just to keep you on the right path. If the weather is set to thunderstorm it is extremely hard to take off unless you lock the tailwheel as soon as the mission starts, use brakes as you take off and apply heaps of rudder.
Just wondering how long it takes to get from Manchuria to Frankfurt in an IL-10. Seems a bit unreasonable, really. Hope they let you stop to wee.

rnzoli
07-20-2007, 06:23 AM
Hey, nice write ups!

When do you think you would like to join us online? Right now, we can only read about your takeoff attempts, it's much more fun to see them http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif (and even better, replay them! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

There is nothing like the laughing when a new bee, instead of releasing his chocks on the carrier deck, drops all his bombs by accident, wipes out the entire fighter cover waiting for takeoff.

edit: Good read prior to online ventures:What are your most embarrassing moments online? (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/3271094153/p/1)