PDA

View Full Version : SoW at Leipzig?

ploughman
08-22-2007, 09:04 AM
Anyone know if SoW will be seen at the Leipzig games convention at all? I see 1C are showing a lot of stuff, alas no mention of Maddox in their press release.

Any info, rumour, sniff?

PB0_shadow
08-22-2007, 09:12 AM
I have the Ubi line up here and

no

knightflyte
08-22-2007, 09:42 AM
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm losing interest in BoB.

If the game hadn't been in developement for over three years I'd be okay with it, but as every passing day comes without a crumb of info many fans are wondering if it's vaporware. Or worse because of contractual obligations 1C can't market or sell the game outside of UBI, should UBI pull the plug, thus crushing the game internally.

I'm almost to that point.

Sure it's an overreaction, but since 2003 we've known about BoB. Nothing has come out in almost a year. (Some of the info on the DVD I've seen since BoB was announced. Promises of info have gone unfullfilled (for what ever reason).

As a consumer you have to wonder. No matter what the reality is, these thoughts are out there, and do tend to breed distrust and a bit of contempt for the developer/publisher.

JG52Uther
08-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by knightflyte:
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm losing interest in BoB.

If the game hadn't been in developement for over three years I'd be okay with it, but as every passing day comes without a crumb of info many fans are wondering if it's vaporware. Or worse because of contractual obligations 1C can't market or sell the game outside of UBI, should UBI pull the plug, thus crushing the game internally.

I'm almost to that point.

Sure it's an overreaction, but since 2003 we've known about BoB. Nothing has come out in almost a year. (Some of the info on the DVD I've seen since BoB was announced. Promises of info have gone unfullfilled (for what ever reason).

As a consumer you have to wonder. No matter what the reality is, these thoughts are out there, and do tend to breed distrust and a bit of contempt for the developer/publisher.
+1 except the last bit,as I do trust Oleg.But the lack of news is getting old quickly.

knightflyte
08-22-2007, 09:49 AM
I do trust Oleg. I realize his hands are tied, and he'd have more to lose than any of us if development of BoB was canceled.

I have heard rumblings against Oleg. Few and far between.... but still there.

slipBall
08-22-2007, 09:51 AM
He did promise news this summer, but that was before the latest hacking of the code. Every time the code is hacked it seems to add months to our wait....thanks alot you hackers out there http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Tab_Flettner
08-22-2007, 10:00 AM
He did promise news this summer, but that was before the latest hacking of the code. Every time the code is hacked it seems to add months to our wait....thanks alot you hackers out there Angry Blue Guy Mocking

Hacking the code in SoW? Huh?

DuxCorvan
08-22-2007, 10:12 AM
If they plan not to sell the game but to a small bunch of initiates in this mysterious arcane, they're doing it perfect.

Released or not, this is a very sure way to have the game go promptly and unnoticed from the retail shelves to the most recondite corners of e-Bay after having prices collapse to the bargain section in a month and a half.

It has happened with 1946, it will happen again, this time to a brand new sim with lots of effort behind.

Publicity is the way to sell things. Secrecy is for the CIA and the atom bomb. Coca-Cola has also a secret recipe, but that doesn't mean they don't advertise the Coke, does it?

Niche market? From the niche to the tomb.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

slipBall
08-22-2007, 10:14 AM
SOW code I think started out very simular to IL2 code, so if one could be hacked...then both could be hacked

WOLFMondo
08-22-2007, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by knightflyte:
If the game hadn't been in developement for over three years I'd be okay with it, but as every passing day comes without a crumb of info many fans are wondering if it's vaporware.

Oleg maybe announced it a bit early. To be honest though, a game with its own highly complex bespoke engine takes a very long time to develop. 3 years is not a long time in game development when your not working with a 3rd party engine. I can say that with first hand experiance. I'm working on a game thats taken almost 7 years from conception to release (in October).

ploughman
08-22-2007, 10:38 AM
Really, what's that Wolf?

JG52Uther
08-22-2007, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Ploughman:
Please say 'why SoW/BoB of course!' http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Skarphol
08-22-2007, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by slipBall:
He did promise news this summer, ....

I don't think he has promised anything. On may 15th, Oleg wrote this:

"I hope in some time, probably this July to start again development updates that will show our progress with BoB. There is something to show."

So, he was HOPING to start releasing updates, PROBABLY in july. He is carefull not to promise too much, that's for sure.

Skarphol

slipBall
08-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Yes, after re-reading his words...I quess that it was not a promise http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif....and September is near http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif
and thanks for taking away what I was clinging to http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Originally posted by Skarphol:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by slipBall:
He did promise news this summer, ....

I don't think he has promised anything. On may 15th, Oleg wrote this:

"I hope in some time, probably this July to start again development updates that will show our progress with BoB. There is something to show."

So, he was HOPING to start releasing updates, PROBABLY in july. He is carefull not to promise too much, that's for sure.

Skarphol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Choctaw111
08-22-2007, 05:35 PM
July has come and gone and August is almost behind us. The summer will end in 4 weeks. I do hope to see a development update before the summer is over, but let's face it. We have been accustomed to disappointments and letdowns by UBI. The only plus that I give UBI is that they chose to support Il2 and Oleg for as long as they have. Some of you may say to "Give UBI another 4 weeks to show an update". If they don't it will just be another letdown in a long history of letdowns. It is really nothing new. We will get over it (grumbling the whole time) and wait for the next date or time frame that they won't show off this great sim.

Flying_Nutcase
08-22-2007, 06:05 PM
C'mon fellas, chins up. The worst that can happen is that SOW is never released, in which case we can *continue to enjoy* Sturmi for a good while yet, I'm sure and possibly migrate to WOV.

More likely it's just a bit behind schedule which was always going to be likely with such a huge project. If someone asked you to do something that has never been done before, how would you go about giving completion estimates?

Anyway, just thinking out loud. I reckon we'll be looking back on these uncertain days with a chuckle and a sigh of relief. Cross fingers. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

PS Though I do remember Oleg saying in an interview "I want and I need." to the question of it being released in '07. So maybe we should be a little concerned afterall. lol.

FritzGryphon
08-22-2007, 06:11 PM
chuckle and a sigh of relief

Or with a http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif for those who freaked out about a game not hitting the EBgames release date™.

VMF-214_HaVoK
08-22-2007, 07:13 PM
UBI should not have announced Storm of War: Battle of Britain till this year sometime. In my opinion they shot themselves in the foot by announcing it so early. Probably before it was even in pre-alpha stage. There mistake can be seen here on any given day.

S!

bhunter2112
08-23-2007, 12:42 AM
Any normal game has a web site years before release. And throw out a screenie once in awhile!!

Example --Spore. Nice website tons of screenies and gameplay video, interviews etc... The game will be out who knows when but at least they show you something.

UBI or whoever tell us what is going on.

Capt.LoneRanger
08-23-2007, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by bhunter2112:
Any normal game has a web site years before release. And throw out a screenie once in awhile!!

Example --Spore. Nice website tons of screenies and gameplay video, interviews etc... The game will be out who knows when but at least they show you something.

True for the information about Spore. But development took more than 8 years and only since last year, you hear information about it.

And then don't forget, we had several Screenshots for BoB, too, once in a while and even a long movie about the development of BoB. You won't get that for most other games that are in a pre-Alpha-state.

JimmyBlonde
08-23-2007, 02:37 AM
Rome wasn't Stukaed to rubble in a day.

der-blaue-max
08-23-2007, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by bhunter2112:

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Grand_Armee
08-23-2007, 03:35 AM
C'mon guys....
I really have to wonder what you're expecting. ...and why you need it so fast. How many BoB simulations have there been? Quite a few since 1990 I'll wager.
Oooh...new planes...Boulton-Paul Defiant(why bother?)...Fairey Battle(gag!)...Vickers Wellesley...and carburators for British planes(finally something for all the Spit lovers that they won't love).
...for the good guys>>>>> Dornier 17...me-110...oops, got that one already. Perhaps even He-59...to simulate dastardly Brits strafing rescue planes! Hah...beat that...I'm an He-59 ace!
Better graphics?...make me (and others) buy a new puter? I reckon there's only so many times one can bomb Harwich before it gets a bit tedious.

OK...I like new planes...but not new planes that have no hope against fighters.

New engine? What do ya reckon would be different? Planes fly different? Guns fire better?...worse? Your favorite plane which you have declared porked for the last few years will be made into an Uber-maschine?

So...what are ya expectin'?

Anyway...sorry for the rant...I blame it on my good friends rum and coke.

WOLFMondo
08-23-2007, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by JG52Uther:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ploughman:
Please say 'why SoW/BoB of course!' http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If only.

I work for a Asia based, multinational publisher. Will leave it at that.

Chivas
08-23-2007, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Grand_Armee:
C'mon guys....
I really have to wonder what you're expecting. ...and why you need it so fast. How many BoB simulations have there been? Quite a few since 1990 I'll wager.
Oooh...new planes...Boulton-Paul Defiant(why bother?)...Fairey Battle(gag!)...Vickers Wellesley...and carburators for British planes(finally something for all the Spit lovers that they won't love).
...for the good guys>>>>> Dornier 17...me-110...oops, got that one already. Perhaps even He-59...to simulate dastardly Brits strafing rescue planes! Hah...beat that...I'm an He-59 ace!
Better graphics?...make me (and others) buy a new puter? I reckon there's only so many times one can bomb Harwich before it gets a bit tedious.

OK...I like new planes...but not new planes that have no hope against fighters.

New engine? What do ya reckon would be different? Planes fly different? Guns fire better?...worse? Your favorite plane which you have declared porked for the last few years will be made into an Uber-maschine?

So...what are ya expectin'?

Anyway...sorry for the rant...I blame it on my good friends rum and coke.

I'm expecting a cinematic experience. The dogfighting won't change a whole lot but everything else will.
I'm expecting a realistic damage model for everything.
I'm expecting London to look like London.
I'm expecting the White Cliffs of Dover to look like the White Cliffs of Dover.
I'm expecting a relationship with my ground crew.http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
I'm expecting a very close relationship with the local pub.
I'm expecting rivers with actual river banks.
I'm expecting using alot of landmarks to find my way back to base.
I'm expecting dynamic weather.
I'm expecting hedge rows not billboards representing hedge rows.

95% of the time your looking out the cockpit for targets and landmarks to find your way home. What do you see 95% of the time is terrain graphics. Getting that right will increase the immersion 10 fold.

Off course you will have the option turn most of the eye candy off if your computer is not up to snuff.

If your interested in airstart dogfights its not necessary to have any eyecandy.

Chivas
08-23-2007, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:
UBI should not have announced Storm of War: Battle of Britain till this year sometime. In my opinion they shot themselves in the foot by announcing it so early. Probably before it was even in pre-alpha stage. There mistake can be seen here on any given day.

S!

You can't blame the publisher for that. BOB SOW had planned to come out at those times, but Pacific Fighters delayed the 2005 date, then PE-2 etc addons delayed the 2006 date. UBI probably didn't ask the developers to do Pacific fighters etc. These complications arose after UBI's annoucements.

Low_Flyer_MkVb
08-23-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm expecting whining to start as soon as released.
I'm expecting large numbers of apparently disenfranchised British posters annoyed that the street that they live on isn't modelled correctly.
I'm expecting historical revisionism on a hitherto unforseen scale.
I'm expecting a bug along the lines of the exploding P-40.
I'm expecting Hurricane as Wildcat hacks and Bf-109 for Tony's plus the Isle of Wight to stand in as Midway for the want it all now Pacific lobby (again, as soon as released).
I'm expecting a long wait.
I'm expecting a different name from Ubi on the box.

ploughman
08-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Must have at least two pubs, one the Rose and Crown, t'other the Red Lion. Plus elderly cockney with watery eyes and hatchet faced hags to mock him.

That's a damn fine set of under-wireds you've got there LF.

danjama
08-23-2007, 12:25 PM
News in summer?

Now it makes sense, summer has been cancelled here http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

bhunter2112
08-23-2007, 12:40 PM
Common UBI or Oleg or someone relese some info "by mistake"

Gibbage1
08-23-2007, 01:29 PM
BoB:SOW is becomming the flight sim Duke Nukum Forever.

der-blaue-max
08-23-2007, 02:27 PM
One thing con be sure: BOB/SoW will not be there in one Year, cause All games UBI published had an own Webside one Year before!

Maybe we have to look for an ATARI website!

Capt.LoneRanger
08-23-2007, 03:09 PM
SoW:BoB will be released by UBI, not by ATARI. SoW:BoB has a forum for more than a year, now, and all UBI-games having a website a year before the game is released is simply not true.

slipBall
08-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Recently I visited the English SOW site and there were some test posts up...A good sign I think

Skoshi Tiger
08-23-2007, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Grand_Armee:
C'mon guys....
I reckon there's only so many times one can bomb Harwich before it gets a bit tedious.

Have you ever been to Harwich?

Grand_Armee
08-24-2007, 01:44 AM
Yes, I've been to Harwich. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif About a million times in my bf-109. I think the first time it was with a Lucasfilms game released in 1990.

Other than that, I overflew London once on my way to Saudi Arabia to fight in the First war against Saddam launched by George Sr.

Ever seen a Boeing-747 with the toilets so overworked that the whole plane smelled of 5h1t? Fill one with US Marines on a 36-hour journey.

ploughman
08-24-2007, 03:56 AM
36 hours? Were you taking them via the moon?

mbfRoy
08-24-2007, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by Ploughman:
36 hours? Were you taking them via the moon? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Grand_Armee
08-24-2007, 09:20 PM
Ploughman,
We were stationed in Hawaii. We flew United Airlines to Bangor, Maine. From there to Brussels...for some reason...curve of the earth, or whatever had to fly over London.
...Next stop-The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.