PDA

View Full Version : Audio Issues...Please Help If Possible

GerryWachovsky
07-04-2010, 01:16 AM
So I have the Steam version of "Splinter Cell: Conviction" and damn has it been giving me a plethora of problems. I have a laptop, and yes, I know that "laptop hardware isn't supported" but this is such a ridiculous issue I am having that I can't believe it is really my system.

I have a brand new HP laptop with the following specifications:
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~1.6GHz
RAM: 6 Gigabytes
Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon 5650

The game itself, graphicswise, runs fine. The problem is that the sound pops, stutters, cuts in and out, repeats, and sometimes even causes the graphics to stutter. I have updated everything, I have the latest drivers, I have done all the recommended fixes, but nothing has worked.

This ****es me off because my system specifications, based on the recommended specifications for this game, should have absolutely no problem running it. Yes, I have a laptop, but I really doubt the problem is related to having a laptop since the graphics run smoothly. It's the sound that is the issue and it is making the game unplayable.

Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations? I doubt I can get a refund of this game so I'm probably screwed but I figured I'd try my luck here.

Thanks!

GuZZ33
07-04-2010, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by GerryWachovsky:
I have done all the recommended fixes.
What sound device/chip do you have in the laptop?. I presume you read the conviction support sound and hints read me file?. What speaker setting did you try in the games option menu?, maybe try 2 speaker?.

If using Realtek High Definition Audio, Soundmax HD Audio, or nForce Audio,
you may experience sound anomalies.

To work around the problem, reduce the Hardware acceleration slider to 'Basic'
in the Control Panel->Sounds and Audio Devices->Audio tab->Advanced->Performance
tab.

maybe try the tom clancy section on the steam forums?

http://forums.steampowered.com...rumdisplay.php?f=383 (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=383)

GerryWachovsky
07-04-2010, 02:14 AM
GuZZ33 - My bad for not mentioning my sound device. The laptop has a HD Audio (IDT) Dolby advance audio/Beats Audio setup. According to the product specification sheet for my laptop, it is basically as top of the line audio as is available for laptops.

Forgive my ignorance but where exactly is the "Conviction support sound and hints read me file"? I downloaded this game through Steam so I don't have the physical disc.

I've tried both settings (2.0 and 5.1) for the speakers in the options menu and it doesn't make a difference...I still have the same problem.

I am going to post on the Steam forum as well, I'm just waiting for them to approve my registration so I can post.

GuZZ33
07-04-2010, 04:18 AM
GuZZ33 - My bad for not mentioning my sound device. The laptop has a HD Audio (IDT) Dolby advance audio/Beats Audio setup.
Well according to the Integrated Device Technology website (IDT) http://www.idt.com/ it does mention AC97 sound Codecs, which i believe realtek use the same?, and it does mention in the conviction read me file that you may experience sound anomalies if using Realtek High Definition Audio, and to work around the problem, reduce the Hardware acceleration slider to 'Basic'
in the Control Panel->Sounds and Audio Devices->Audio tab->Advanced->Performance
tab.

I use windows 7 64-Bit but i can't find any option to adjust "hardware acceleration slider"?? .

Forgive my ignorance but where exactly is the "Conviction support sound and hints read me file"? I downloaded this game through Steam so I don't have the physical disc.

You might find it in Program Files (x86)> Steam > Steamapps > common > Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction?, i'm not 100% sure, i don't have the steam version of conviction but i do have other steam games and this is usualy the place to find the game folders.

I've tried both settings (2.0 and 5.1) for the speakers in the options menu and it doesn't make a difference...I still have the same problem.
Did you try setting your sound software correctly to match your game sound setup?. If you only have a 2 or 2.1 speaker setup then only set it at that in software sound application in windows environement and in the SC Conviction game menu sound option.

GerryWachovsky
07-06-2010, 10:43 PM
GuZZ33 - I tried what you said and none of that seemed to work. I also don't have a "Hardware Acceleration Slider" anywhere that I can find. I've looked in DxDiag and every sound setting possible. Does Windows 7 not have that slider or is it found elsewhere? Do you happen to have any other ideas?

Rohan843
12-15-2015, 12:20 PM
For sound problem on win 8 and win 8.1 u will need to do this
ur game dir/Splinter Cell Conviction/src/system/Default.ini.........open it with notepad.
NOW find the [Core.System] and change Paths=..\..\data\Sounds\*.uax.........to Paths=..\..\data\Sounds\*.cpk.
NOW GO BACK to Splinter Cell Conviction/data/Sounds/PC/HDD/Packages......and copy all the file and paste it to.......Splinter Cell Conviction/data/Sounds..........right here.
Now happy gaming