PDA

View Full Version : Countering Runners

MrCompletely
01-17-2011, 01:24 PM
I found the solution:

-Every player get's a gun (or crossbow or some other ballistic weapon) as part of the standard loadout.
-You must be idle for 3 seconds before firing is available.
-If you fire on a player who is moving slower than a run, or is idle, you only get the standard 100 points.
-If you fire on a player who is running, you get 300 points.
-weapon has a ~30 second cooldown

Rainie
01-17-2011, 01:31 PM
This isn't a FPS, learn to counter runners instead of giving everyone a free gun

MrCompletely
01-17-2011, 01:36 PM
yeah, you're probably right. I'm only level 28 so I still don't have some of the more advanced equipment to deal with that stuff.

I guess the real problem is that the progressions system is so damned unbalanced.

Kenpachi_cable
01-17-2011, 01:43 PM
Runners are great! Get your hidden gun and start sniping them when they jump!

And when they finally learn to stay down on the ground in a group: CHARGE!!!!

That's my standard loadout for runners/roofers, and I don't need extra points for killing them.

obliviondoll
01-17-2011, 01:43 PM
Runner ALWAYS come to ground.

With practice and paying attention, you'll learn where the most common places for them to do so are.

Stay in those places when your target is reasonably close to them, and you WILL get kills.

Stay in a blend group in those areas, and you WILL get hidden/incognito kills for a minimum of 600 points. If you have poison (I think that's unlocked at 28?), then you can boost that to 800.

For the runners/roofers, that's between 4 and 8 kills, given their usual score per kill.

MrCompletely
01-17-2011, 01:46 PM
thanks for the tips, i usually get so frustrated with the roof runners that I take off after them and end up losing

Rainie
01-17-2011, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by MrCompletely:
yeah, you're probably right. I'm only level 28 so I still don't have some of the more advanced equipment to deal with that stuff.

I guess the real problem is that the progressions system is so damned unbalanced.

You don't really need to be high level to deal with runners, you just need patience. At the beginning they're a pain in the rear but once you start learning their patterns (most runners seem to act the same I find) they become easy marks. The easiest way to stop them from running is to try and get infront of them (by using buildings or shortcuts) and drop a smokebomb which you get at lvl 6

DeanOMiite
01-17-2011, 03:02 PM
I've developed a couple strategies for dealing with runners.

My favorite one is to wait for them at the edge of a roof in a hanging position. It's hard to pull off it but it works frequently enough for me to do it and have it not be an accident. But...what I do is carefully watch where my target on the roof is going. Typically they're just looking for their target, so they approach the edges of the roof they're on. If you can get ahead of them and wait in a hanging position on the next edge they're going to look over, you've got a sweet 150 pt drop kill bonus. I've had the most luck with this on San Donato.

Of course, that's under completely ideal circumstances. I usually don't continually try this over and over because it leaves me visible to my pursuers and frankly takes too long to justify doing it more than once. If you guess right on the first try though, it's really satisfying.

I've also done well by going up on a roof and pretending to look down on the ground for another target. I'll stand on an edge near my target and hopefully he'll walk towards me and then i'll just run at him. I don't mind losing the incognito bonus to do that, a silent or even a discreet bonus is AOK for me to kill a guy on a roof.

And of course there is the hidden gun.

My most commonly employed strategy though...is to just kill a civilian. Usually I have no interest in going on a roof and if I've got a target who has spent half the game up there, then (and especially if that target has multiple pursuers) then I'm not gonna bother, I'll just kill a civilian to get a new contract. If you do that you don't get a new contract for like 10-15 seconds, but it's better than chasing a roofer for 90 seconds and then only getting 100 pts.

Gabelous01
01-18-2011, 12:55 AM
My solution to countering runners?

Kill a civilian.

Sure they get 50 points for Lure, but if they are nose-breathing idiots who charge around it won't put them ahead at all and you will be free to stalk a new target.

najzere
01-18-2011, 01:19 AM
It's 100 points for a Lure, but unless you're really close to your target, they won't get anything. I feel dirty purposely losing a contract like that. I've sat in a crowd for over a minute and a half just watching my target's crowd, and while it was a waste of time from a point efficiency perspective, I felt satisfied that I killed him when he finally gave himself away. I've never had to wait that long for a roofer to come down though.

Squiddish
01-18-2011, 01:26 AM
Get in top 3
Get more than 1 pursuer
Chill
Wait

Receive points.

obliviondoll
01-18-2011, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by najzere:
It's 100 points for a Lure, but unless you're really close to your target, they won't get anything. I feel dirty purposely losing a contract like that. I've sat in a crowd for over a minute and a half just watching my target's crowd, and while it was a waste of time from a point efficiency perspective, I felt satisfied that I killed him when he finally gave himself away. I've never had to wait that long for a roofer to come down though.
Also, if you don't kill someone that looks like the target, they don't get lure.

Gabelous01
01-18-2011, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by obliviondoll:
Also, if you don't kill someone that looks like the target, they don't get lure.

Well that makes it even more worth it. I don't like opting out of targets like that, but in some of the larger maps without any common ground level it's pretty irritating to stalk.