PDA

View Full Version : in full real when you shoot dont you find yourself with your head 8cm from the screen

raaaid
09-29-2004, 12:59 PM
i think this happens because you want to see the part of the sky the gunsight is blocking you
normally where the other plane is in a deflection shot.

i think that in real life for shooting you would stuck your head to the gunsight to have the wider view possible so unconciosly in the game you stuck your head to the screen although nothing happens so you close it more

does this happen to you also?

raaaid
09-29-2004, 12:59 PM
i think this happens because you want to see the part of the sky the gunsight is blocking you
normally where the other plane is in a deflection shot.

i think that in real life for shooting you would stuck your head to the gunsight to have the wider view possible so unconciosly in the game you stuck your head to the screen although nothing happens so you close it more

does this happen to you also?

clint-ruin
09-29-2004, 01:06 PM
Wait for composite 3d TFTs to come down in price, and hassle oleg to put in same angle/different position rendering for both 'eyes' in BOB. Could try shutter glasses going through the driver, but their resolution would probably be too obnoxious to be useful for 'better' aiming than a CRT.

PBNA-Boosher
09-29-2004, 01:09 PM
The funny thing is, yes, When I am shooting, I move closer to the screen, when I'm just flying, I am relatively relaxed. In fact, since I'm a student driver, I was driving with my mom in the car the other day and I wanted a closer look. I accidentally beeped the horn because I was trying to press the #5 button on what would have been my Sidewinder Precision 2, but turned out to be the steering wheel. I have also been known to fiddle my thumbs when I drive, not because I'm nervous, which I am, very, but because I'm trying to look around, and subconsciously, since I use a HAT swtich very often, the way my head turns is the way my thumb goes.

SeaFireLIV
09-29-2004, 01:16 PM
Yes, this happened to me but only when I started using TIR.... the TIR kept quitting cos I was going so close to the screen. Perhaps I have been doing this all along before TIR???

9th_Spitin
09-29-2004, 01:34 PM
I am guilty of it. Once and a while I find myself about 10 inches from my 17 inch monitor. At least I am not the only one that does that.

JG54_Arnie
09-29-2004, 01:39 PM
I had it a lot when sitting behind my desk while flying. Its useless as anything since you still see the same ofcourse. And now since I moved my screen and fly in a comfortable chair with the joystick in between my knees I stopped doing it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif And it flies so much better. Its great. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

_Gadzilla_
09-29-2004, 01:48 PM
This is exactly the same as moving your head closer to the windshield when driving in fog.

I always think," Wow that extra 6 inches of forward visiblity was really helping" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif,when I catch myself doing it.

LStarosta
09-29-2004, 02:12 PM
I never do this. . .

Maybe I'm speshul.

Maple_Tiger
09-29-2004, 02:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PBNA-Boosher:
The funny thing is, yes, When I am shooting, I move closer to the screen, when I'm just flying, I am relatively relaxed. In fact, since I'm a student driver, I was driving with my mom in the car the other day and I wanted a closer look. I accidentally beeped the horn because I was trying to press the #5 button on what would have been my Sidewinder Precision 2, but turned out to be the steering wheel. I have also been known to fiddle my thumbs when I drive, not because I'm nervous, which I am, very, but because I'm trying to look around, and subconsciously, since I use a HAT swtich very often, the way my head turns is the way my thumb goes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats why I use the mouse to look around...

Proubly why people look at me funny as I walk by them.

Monty_Thrud
09-29-2004, 02:35 PM
Yup!..do this most nights on Warclouds..except my TIR stops responding sometimes, so i'm there 2 inches off the monitor hovering out of my chair, shaking my head trying to get TIR working again, cursing loudly...usually by this time the enemy is on my six lining me his sights...hmm, i wonder if i ask nicely he'll just give me a minute or two to get things sorted out http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Jumoschwanz
09-29-2004, 03:04 PM
Making deflection shots is a snap with padlock. This is because as I would guess in real life, your virtual eyes would be locked onto your target while you are lining the plane and gunsight up at a point ahead of the target that your experience and insticts would dictate. The padlocked target is followed by your virtual eyes and you get a great sense of it's trajectory and speed that helps you really aim and time the shot.

On a server just last night that was cockpit-on and with padlock I made a series of several great(to me) deflection shots this way from all angles, both leading while following in a turn and just plain ninety degree shots that all resulted in kills.

It would be nice if in a future patch padlock was limited to 1 kilometer to stifle those that whine about it being "padlook". Sure it can be abused in this way, but it is a great tool with a natural feeling once it is learned, and it is as good as any other method of turning your pretty little virtual head.

In my opinion it is all that is needed, and track IR, which I have and have tried, yes with all the latest drivers and ****, is very overated and seems like the gadget of the month that is attractive to the same kind of poeple that probably had mobiles hanging over their cribs with shiny pretty objects swirling around.

IL2 comes with everything you need to do anything you want right out of the box.

The next time I make some great deflection shots on a full real/padlock server I will save the tracks if you want me to. S!

Jumoschwanz

Red_Russian13
09-29-2004, 03:49 PM
I think it's just how we focus more or something...not visually, but mentally. Driving in poor visibility, shooting the enemy a/c. I'm guilty of it...And it doesn't help my shooting at all!

HART_dreyer
09-29-2004, 04:17 PM
I never do that when I shoot. Before I prepare to make my shot I try to relax as much as I possibly can. If I am tense I normally miss.

horseback
09-29-2004, 04:34 PM
I rarely get up close to my screen, but the other day I was asked by my 11 year old as he was riding with me why my right thumb is always moving back and forth. I realized I was looking for the Toggle FOV button on the steering wheel...

cheers

horseback

sunflower1
09-29-2004, 05:27 PM
For me, the oddest sensation in flying, and especially when learning to fly, is upon getting into an automobile and becoming overwhelmingly conscious that the steering wheel only turns and doesn't move back and forth. It lasts about 15 minutes, every single time. Makes it feel like you've never driven before.

And yep, I find myself getting closer, but like Hart says, not when I'm shooting well.

My chance to play the game is before bed, I find that when I lay down I have the residue of landscape imagery, in motion, in my head. Anyone else experience this?

JG7_Rall
09-29-2004, 05:53 PM
you guys must be blind. I sit like 2-3 feet away from my monitor at all times, and lean all the way back in my chair. I also tend to miss if I get tense or over excited.

T_O_A_D
09-29-2004, 06:23 PM
Nope, but maybe thats why I don't kill much either. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

AlGroover
09-29-2004, 08:46 PM
Don't you guys realise this is DANGEROUS. Read it right there on the inside front cover of your AEP manual under safety instructions. "we recommend sitting at least 2 metres away from the screen." This must be what those cordless joysticks are for.

karost
09-30-2004, 03:16 AM
Yes , me too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

when I learn for make a hi-speed drive to make a surprise attack , when I get closing to my target at 700,400,300,200 ... 100meter and I feel my head automatic closing to a monitor 40,30,20, and 10 cm. at the same time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif that time is a most exciting to me

for defection shooting I not use padlock but use normal view , coz I will fire below 150 meter.

Oh... I update my deflection guideline for D.F.R calculation. here (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=717109834&r=332004327#332004327)
S!

speedbird2k5
09-30-2004, 01:35 PM
Raaaid, you said in real life the pilots would stick their head to the gunsight.....Is this even possible in combat situations where you are pulling so much Gs, would you be stuck to ur seat?

ThePseudokiller
09-30-2004, 04:30 PM
I am a noob as far as this site goes. I am still flying the original IL2. I have been keeping myself posted about PF by visiting this site. Well, I have also browsed the forums reading interesting posts about my favorite aircraft. One question....what is Track IR and what are stutters that people refer to?

adlabs6
09-30-2004, 05:26 PM
Haha, yes I lean to the screen when I shoot, and when I'm scanning the skies for an enemy plane. I also do this in FS2004 when on the final leg of a landing approach in windy weather. So fun. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif