PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions about VIIB & C

Lassen
04-11-2005, 05:17 AM
I a sailing in the VIIB and can if I want upgrade to the VIIC. According to the stats however, it's slower, heavier, has less range submerged, and has the same number of torps & men.

THe only advantage I can see is it dives 3 seconds faster than the VIIB.

Apart from that, the conning tower looks different.

So question is, what's better about the VIIC? and what's the advantage of the larger conning tower?

Also, why are there no decoy's in the VIIB, and are thre decoys in the VIIC?

Not planning to waste 3000 Ren on a sub that statistically looks worse than the one I sail.

Lassen
04-11-2005, 05:17 AM
I a sailing in the VIIB and can if I want upgrade to the VIIC. According to the stats however, it's slower, heavier, has less range submerged, and has the same number of torps & men.

THe only advantage I can see is it dives 3 seconds faster than the VIIB.

Apart from that, the conning tower looks different.

So question is, what's better about the VIIC? and what's the advantage of the larger conning tower?

Also, why are there no decoy's in the VIIB, and are thre decoys in the VIIC?

Not planning to waste 3000 Ren on a sub that statistically looks worse than the one I sail.

Panaka_NL
04-11-2005, 05:25 AM
The C has more conning towers available as upgrades.
You can turn the sub into a anti aircraft gunnery platform if you want to.
I think it's not worth it. Save your renown for other upgrades and the XXI when it comes along.

Lassen
04-11-2005, 05:34 AM
Yea thought as much..

What about decoys?

Nukem_Hicks
04-11-2005, 05:37 AM
That three seconds can be vital when you have a DD crashing down on you during a surface raid...

quillan
04-11-2005, 08:24 AM
Decoys aren't available yet. All subs can get them when they become available. I just got my first, in early 1942. Saved my butt once already. The speed difference is small, and the underwater range difference can be made up with battery upgrades later. The only upgrade that a VIIC can get that a VIIB cannot is the conning tower that can mount the heavy flak guns, and you lose the deck gun to do it. The VIIC/42 can get the Niebelung sonar; it's the only sub apart from the XXI that can, but that would require another change of sub later on, since it's a different sub altogether.

reumatiib
04-11-2005, 08:29 AM
turning a sub into: "anti aircraft gunnery platform "....

I have to ask why would one want to? The small gun already drops the planes too easily, as if the planes were made of warm-butter. And besides one can't use the AA guns MOST of the time anyway.

rupert77
04-11-2005, 08:41 AM
Well I like my VIIB and it'll do until the '41 and '42 VIIC boats become available. I like it's slight but effective faster underwater speed.

Mind you have noticed that too with the dive depth having been limited to ~180m. Naturally having seen 'The Boat' I too wanted to test my boat with quite lethal results. Hope there's a fix coming.

Can't remember which subsim it was (think Aces o.t.Deep) where boats similar would vary slightly in their maximum depth depending on qualtiy of the boat. I liked that feature.